Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
ThomasModels said:
I've got to say that it had to be the brochure.
same here, that stratch and sniff model glue sample got me hooked...

·
Registered
975 Posts
The reissue (in '99) ERTL Space 1999 gave me the kick to come back to modelling after a 5 years break. Never stopped since. I like to alternate between building cars, sci-fi, planes kits. That way I don't get the ''modelling sickness'' or ''modelling burnout''. I also like to read about what I'm about to built. That's what I did before building my Lockheed NF-104. That's what I'm doing for an AVRO ARROW build. Same goes for my current AVRO C102 Jetliner project, and finally a AVRO CF-100. I'm in a AVRO overdose right now....... and enjoying it a lot!!!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,157 Posts
Dad was a fighter pilot. He had great war stories. That made me think planes were cool. So I started building them. Branched out to sci fi from there. Kept me off the streets.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I suppose I got into the hobby because it was something I could by myself. I was unsocial, shy, short, overweight and friendless. Model building was perfect for me.

Of course, I'm not like that any more. I'm much taller.

Jim

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i have uncles that were into modelling . as early as i can remember i would watch in utter fascination as they took a pile of ( what looked to me like ) twisted plastic shapes and built a plane or car or whatever out of it .
then at around age 5 or so i saw Frankenstein on the telly and not long after that ran accross my first Famous Monsters of Filmland mag .
saw the models in the back ( remember the Captain Company ? ) and have been hooked ever since on monsters ( though i do enjoy all kinds of models ) .
hb

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I saw the Forgotten Prisoner, plus the other Aurora longbox monsters, in a model shop when I was young, couldn't have them, and was soon after equally impressed by the Tar Pit and other PS kits in the same shop. Years later, in 1994, I was looking through a copy of Toy Shop magazine for advertising collectables, and saw the Forgotten Prisoner and the other kits in the little box photos. Learing that the kits had been made by a company called Aurora, I happened across the Bruegman Aurora book in 1994 as well, bought it, and was immediately hooked.
Back then there was no ebay or Polar Lights, so I started buying Aurora kits through the clssified ads in a UK modelling magazine. So far I've built 70 different Aurora kits, many of them more than once, and have acquired over 100 in total, some of which I don't intend to build, and am still looking for a part-assembled example which I can build.

I should add that I was a model kt builder as a kid, but those Airfix aircraft and Esci/Matchbox/Hasegawa 1/72 tanks and figures didn't get me hooked; Aurora kits are my one fascination.

·
Starship Class
11,656 Posts
One word: gigantophilia.

I'm a natural-born control freak and the creation of models that I can dominate and control absolutely have led to my obsession with this hobby.

Right now, I'm nearly finished with my vinyl, anatomically correct, 1/2 scale composite model of Nastassia Kinski/Helena Bonham Carter. The wedding will be next June.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It was peer pressure, I tell you. My friends were all doing it. They called me names because I wasn't doing it. I didn't want to. I resisted but I could no longer stand all the taunting. I gave in and started building. I was hooked almost instantly.
Sure, I went to rehab places like Betty Ford and others to kick my habit. I sometimes spent years not building. Eventually though I would revert back to my old ways and start buying kits and paint and glue. Then I bought my first Dremel. There was no looking back. I'm now stuck with this life long obsession. A normal life is for other people.

OK, my brother got me started. Don't tell my Mom.

R

·
0 Posts
To answer in order of asked questions in OP:

My dear ole Dad (a prolific scratchbuilder of paddle steamers) who came home one day with a bagged Airfix Bolton Paul Defiant and a tube of glue.

Enjoyed it right from the get go and still do.

Never really left off modeling i think.

The constant and nagging question of
"I'd like to build a *insert subject name here*"
which was and is usually swiftly followed by
"hmmm, wonder if i can really make a decent job of *insert previously decided upon subject name here*"

That about it really

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
When I as a kid, my Dad knew a wholesaler. My dad brought me home a ton of kits, all at below cost. How could I not model? I stopped for a number of years, and then, in my early thirties I picked it up again! Don't really know why, but I got hooked and now I spend a lot of free time doing it. I do mostly sci-fi, with a few dinosaurs thrown in for good measure. I guess, in some ways, it's a bit of escapism with the satisfaction of creating something with my hands (even it I don't scratchbuild)

Brad.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
My Dad used to build those giant military tank & planes kits they used to have in the sixties, and he bought me the VERY old TOS Enterprise kit that had the light kit, and that gave me the bug. I built kits thru out my childhood. 'course there was a lot more selection back then. I neglected the hobby thru most of the eighties, distracted by other hobbies and interest. Like many people of my generation, when I quit( well, seriously cut back anyway) the bars and partying in my late-thirties, I was astonished at all the disposable income I suddenly had and kinda fell back into the hobby.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Because I'm in my second childhood !
Circumstances were such that I grew up fast and missed my first childhood. These models didn't exist when I was young. Now, due to health concerns, I can sit and build miniature worlds without much physical exertion and also find an outlet for my artistic creativity.
Also, it's a good excuse to hide from and ignore the old lady !!!
Dabbler

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
One day, when I was a kid, my Dad brought home a Frankenstein kit for me (for the life of me, I can't remember what kit he got my brother). We built that kit at the kitchen table of our small hous, and I was hooked right away. I couldn't get the glue and paint on 'em fast enough, shove it aside and get on to the next one!! Seams, schmeams! Boy, I wish I still had some of those old kits around now. I think around the end of high school, I just stopped, I can't remember why, really.

Fast foward to about '89 or '90(?), I have kids, one of which is a 6 year old son. I take him to a comic book store, to nuture his zest for fine literature. On the shelf, I spot an Horizon vinyl kit of The Thing (Fantastic Four). It was just a real cool sculpt and I thought, "Hey, this is kinda cool! Man, I haven't done a model in over 12 years!" I bought it and, to make a long story short, 270 kits later, I'm back to the hobby that I loved so much as a kid!!

I would have agree with the others who have said it's the feeling of being able to create something with your hands, to have complete control on how it looks as a finished piece.

Man, I LOVE this hobby!!

Wayne

1 - 20 of 29 Posts