Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...I've heard that 4600's are currently being tested...

With new rules coming out in the next month or so for the '07 season...it would be nice to know what will actually hit the market between NOW and February.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There's some pretty solid information that the last batch of IB-4200's were almost marketed as 4600's. Not really that much more of a reach for a sub-c cell. Someone out there has a clue to when we might see them but it's confidential with the importers right now.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"confidential" will cause them to NOT be legal. (That's a problem in this hobby/sport) You got guys PUSHING to get the 4200shv's now the 4200wc's legal, and before the common guy even gets those...we've got something bigger...so before the middle of the year guys are screaming to "CHANGE the RULES" and allow these too, cause the current cell is not going to be made anymore.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really get tired of all this doom and gloom about new cells. Cells have been getting better since I have been racing... late 90's... I embrace the technology that gives me better cells every 6 months and don't see a downside. My battery costs are cheaper now than when I started racing yet the cells are ten times better. So what is the problem? Just get used to the fact that cells will get better and adj accordingly.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I don't think it's directly the batterys fault about the doom and gloom that you talk about .
Its an age old problem that goes along with racing.
Some racers want the best all the time and the others are content to leave it the way it is and be less technical and just race.

As a track owner ,,, you never ask the racer if he wants a bigger carburetor, or wider tires , HD body, larger motor,,,,because 80% of them will say yes without even thinking, worse than an addiction.

Then a year or so down the road all those racers are for some reason not at the track anymore ,,,Hmmmm , not a single one will admit that allowing that
$800.00 carburetor wasn't such a good idea, we're all too tough for that.

Been there , done that !!!!

Yes , I realize that the battery costs per pack are alot cheaper than 15 years ago but its the whole idea of discouraging some racers. We were racing most 6 cells back then to , not only 4 .

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Stratus54 said:
I really get tired of all this doom and gloom about new cells. Cells have been getting better since I have been racing... late 90's... I embrace the technology that gives me better cells every 6 months and don't see a downside. My battery costs are cheaper now than when I started racing yet the cells are ten times better. So what is the problem? Just get used to the fact that cells will get better and adj accordingly.
I couldn't agree more! Some people are always going on and on about it...just get over it!

Great cells great prices and great service!!!

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Yes , I realize that the battery costs per pack are alot cheaper than 15 years ago but its the whole idea of discouraging some racers. We were racing most 6 cells back then to , not only 4 .
I still don't get when guys say this? I can't really see where the prices have really changed all that much just the mah has gone up. I have to look at some older mags and compare prices.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still don't get when guys say this? I can't really see where the prices have really changed all that much just the mah has gone up. I have to look at some older mags and compare prices.
I can say MY battery price is cheaper NOW than it was in the 90s. No $100.00 packs of crappy 1700sce's.

However, that has NOTHING to do w/ this thread...nor is there any Doom and Gloom. Just simple facts that I'm writing rules for our '07 season and don't like being ambushed by battery companies 1/2 way through the year.

I feel that we'll probably see 4600's (from what I've heard and seen) for sure...and maybe, higher than that. I'll probably set our Mah rating at 5000 or below just like I did this year capped at 4000. (There ARE 4000 cells out there...but NOBODY ran them)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
guys the cost to fun ratio for batts has never been better back in the 90 s customers would send me blank checks for 1700 sce s that were 355 to 360 at 20 amps !!!!! there are a few here and there that still call me wanting the very very best top pack there is but no where near what it was back then!! if you swear your being out batteried ask the local hot dog thats beating you to switch packs chances are hes still gonna beat ya with your own pack.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doc,

I've gone so far as to make a challenge to a few of our drivers to run their 3800's, their 4200's and then pop a pack of 3300's in (For the STOCK class) so I could see ON PAPER the difference.

So far, nobody has accepted the challenge

·
Registered
557 Posts
In the late 80s I saw New Wave 6cell packs sell for over a $100.00 a pack at Dalton Race Way !!!!!!!! Before that the old yellow sce,s were going for the same price!!!!!!This battery thing is out of control and always will be!!!!!Hacksaw

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
LOL I remember paying 100+ for money packs of 1700's back in the day.. I was surprised to see how cheap cells are today.. Especially considering how much better they are... personally I think I spent MORE back in the 1990's than I do today on everything.. the only exception Ive really seen is radios, esc's and servos.. My radio back then might have been $250 but I know it wasnt $400 range.. But I think I paid more for my Super IQ charger than I did for my GFX ... lol

·
Team DCM
2,309 Posts
dave w 1 said:
guys the cost to fun ratio for batts has never been better back in the 90 s customers would send me blank checks for 1700 sce s that were 355 to 360 at 20 amps !!!!! there are a few here and there that still call me wanting the very very best top pack there is but no where near what it was back then!! if you swear your being out batteried ask the local hot dog thats beating you to switch packs chances are hes still gonna beat ya with your own pack.
THere you go my point exactly, if your getting beat by battery, so a switch to see if he will still beat you, I bet he does............. thanks Dave good post....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
swtour, We ran a two day event this past weekend at marshalls hilltop hobbies, Saturday was the NEOT race 4200 legal, Sunday was the ORL race 3800 only. Saturdays TQ was 61 4:00.66 and Sundays TQ was 60 4:00.38. So it was a lap difference betwwen the batteires, and I'm sure the guys got their cars better for the second day of racing. So for the track I'd say if they were run back to back it would have been a little more then the lap indicated by the results. Or if you switched the days you ran them to 3800's Saturday and 4200's Sunday you would have see an even bigger split, IMO.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike,

Thanks for the info. If you happen to have access or know who does, I'd love to get a copy of those results w/ lap times to disect them. (From both races)

Are the rules for the Neot and the ORL (Except for batteries) the same?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Yes, the rules are the same except for the batteries. Lap times for the NEOT are here http://www.nicks-simworld.com/NEOT/Marshalls10-7-2006.htm . Don't know ifthe ORL laps times are posted any where, But the results are here http://outlawracingleague.com/raceresults.html Sorry I don't have lap times for both, you may want to check http://www.outlawracingleague.com/02main.html for lap times but I don't think they post them. You could also try calling Marshalls Hilltops Hobbies if you really want a copy.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
yes the rules are the same we are talking 4200 s with a voltage average of 4.94 at 35 to a good 3800 that went 4.84 believe it or not thats a lap

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
most of all my team guys ran both days and were in the a both days they geared within one tooth from the wc cells and there was abought a lap diffrence exactly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts