Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the ford but it is the same a's the car sold here a's the Merkur which is German I believe for mercury. Found this to go with the 2 white ones I already have.

I will remove the tampos

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I swear you could blink and think it's a Sierra. Funny how the doors aren't quite molded into the casting but in the plastic. I remember the Scorpio, they looked like mafia or car chase and guns to me when I was a child, not like the executive sedan they wanted it to be. But I liked it. Sort of the same aura as the Chrysler 300C today.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'll never confess - never! That I remember anything about them!!!

Ah shucks, so I'm old, I do at least still remember when they came out. And when they died.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
The thing I thought was weirdest was when it was reported in Car & Driver that Ford seriously considered calling the line "Linkoln" here in America as a tie-in to the Lincoln line and the car's city of origin, Koln (Cologne), Germany!

(Sorry, I don't know how to put an umlaut over the "o" in the words above!)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I remember all the cars mentioned. As for having one in 1:1 scale, I would have passed on them but having one in small scale. Well, that is a horse of a different color.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
A little story: My father was the D.M. for Ford Parts and Service Division, and part of his job was to oversee the training school for Ford technicians. They brought in an XR4TI for new product training several months before they were introduced. My Dad brought the car home and let me take it out for the night. He and I had both taken it up to about 100 mph - there really isn't room for more than that in Jersey - then he returned it the next day. I really liked it, and at the time, it was a world different than anything I had driven before.
Anyway, a few days later my Dad's assistant took it home, and his kid missed the 2 - 3 shift and blew the dang thing apart. Since there were only 3 in the country, it had to sit for over a month before they could get an engine for it. That put a crimp in the training schedule. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
A little story: My father was the D.M. for Ford Parts and Service Division, and part of his job was to oversee the training school for Ford technicians. They brought in an XR4TI for new product training several months before they were introduced. My Dad brought the car home and let me take it out for the night. He and I had both taken it up to about 100 mph - there really isn't room for more than that in Jersey - then he returned it the next day. I really liked it, and at the time, it was a world different than anything I had driven before.
Anyway, a few days later my Dad's assistant took it home, and his kid missed the 2 - 3 shift and blew the dang thing apart. Since there were only 3 in the country, it had to sit for over a month before they could get an engine for it. That put a crimp in the training schedule. :rolleyes:
I do not understand why industry professionals who are given loaners of the newest offerings ever loan their kids the car. They should know how kids are with new wheels. Did you hear about the recent incident in Rochester Hills MI, where a group of drunken teenagers out joyriding managed to hit a boulder and launch a not yet for sale 2013 Dodge Dart into somebody's garage sideways?... Grounded for life! :lol:

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Mare-KOOR. Yeah, I remember. I had the occasion to drive one for several days. Nice handling, chintzy interior and tinny-sounding engine...

:wave:

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Scorpio is the only 4 door with looks I've ever had desire for. Excellent visability all around, 100 mph doesn't seem like it. Not bone jarring at speed but not slushy either. One of the few luxury cars that didn't disconnect you from the road. When you crank the steering wheel around you'd swear your turning square corners. They are still very well supported through Rapido in Oregon. It doesn't seem to be much sought after today except by people that used to own. Everybody that owned one wishes they still had the car. By today's standard it would be spartan in the gadgetry department, which makes it perfect in my opinion. Still have my 88 and an 85 XR4TI, put away. XR4TI has got to be the most "got one but it's not running yet", tarpped in the driveway, buried in the garage cars you'll find. If you're a car person and you drive one, you'll understand why they hate to let go. A little tight on fit if you're Carrol Shelby, though.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think they are cool cars. When they were new the dealership in town was literally a downtown dealer in a old school dealership from the 40s. Loved that place. I was only 12 when they came out and they were hot cars even though I was surrounded by muscle cars most of which were from the mid 80s.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Gee DIECASTMAN72, I was going to try and offer my opinion on your question and I wandered off. It looks pretty much like the XR4TI. Windows look right. Side cladding looks real close. Double spoiler is there on the back. Hood seems good. What I can see of the front grille looks like it should. If it had 4 hole rims it would be spot on. I would say that's a US version. Nice little piece. I would paint it red with silver cladding, but there's a reason. Let me know if and when you ever decide to part with it. The only thing I've ever seen that comes close is the Hot Wheels Sierra, but it's doesn't pass for an XR4TI. Still waiting for somebody to do a Scorpio.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have owned a couple of Merkur XR4Ti's myself.One road car,and i had one when i was at Fort Bragg that was set up for bracket racing,gutted interior,removed the dash,pulled out the T9 tranny that is as strong as a glass christmas tree ornament and replaced it with a T5 from a turbocoupe,T3/T4 hybrid turbo,large front mount intercooler and a bunch of engine work!Great cars if you dont mind tinker toys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gee DIECASTMAN72, I was going to try and offer my opinion on your question and I wandered off. It looks pretty much like the XR4TI. Windows look right. Side cladding looks real close. Double spoiler is there on the back. Hood seems good. What I can see of the front grille looks like it should. If it had 4 hole rims it would be spot on. I would say that's a US version. Nice little piece. I would paint it red with silver cladding, but there's a reason. Let me know if and when you ever decide to part with it. The only thing I've ever seen that comes close is the Hot Wheels Sierra, but it's doesn't pass for an XR4TI. Still waiting for somebody to do a Scorpio.
This is an MBX. The casting is the British Sierra XR4Ti but its pretty close to the Merkur.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a friend who was nuts about turbo Merkurs. He owned several of them -- real pocket rockets, but they had very short fuses. Fun while they lasted, but eventually they all just sort of disintegrated! <g>

Thanks,
Rick V.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts