Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a racer...well, not really. But for now I'm looking for some tires that work on my tracks at home, basic Tyco or AFX or Tomy track. Who do you guys recommend? No magnets or other tuning, just some good clean fun.

I'm looking for maximum traction but durability and looks are also important. I don't want tires that fall apart if they sit around for some time. I bought some from a guy a couple years ago and they worked fine but look really bad. I've also bought from Bud's HO cars and those are good too. And I it looks like Mr Aurora(Bob B....) has some tires on the bay, are those any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aurora-slot...pt=Slot_Cars&hash=item2a1df1937b#ht_668wt_944 Would you recommend them for original AFX cars?

I drive all my cars, from non magnatraction AFX's to new Lifelike cars and everything in between, including tons of slotless.

·
BANNED
8,243 Posts
Tom Heister has recently bought Penn Vally Hobbies silicone tire manufacturing and is making those true to original formula. Tom also has is own recipe for tires and they are very good as well. there is a thread here that can give more info. Balls Out Racing makes some pretty good tires as well. there are many others and will surely be brought to attention in soon to follow posts.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
While i make and LIKE the tires i make quite nicely LOL... i do have to admit for SOME home tracks my favorite tires have always been KRD's ! KRD'S were made by Dave Hendrickson who raced out east. They worked very well indeed over all of the aforementioned tires on some home section tracks. IF and that's a BIG if ya can get some try em out on a few tracks till ya find the sweet hearts and ya will be hooked !

Bear :wave:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I did some super tire testing recently for super tires
I was very surprise that I put slip on silicone tires on a fray car and got faster times than my silicone coated sponge tires.

most of the testing info is on another BB. I am still adding to the thread.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've run everything I could get my hands on, including stuff that's no longer made. I have to go with Dennis Rutherford's Ballsout HO tires. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've run everything I could get my hands on, including stuff that's no longer made. I have to go with Dennis Rutherford's Ballsout HO tires. :thumbsup:
Couldn't find the type of tires I wanted on Balls Out Racing; looks like its mainly for T-jet

·
Registered
56 Posts
For silicone slip-ons, I prefer PVT. Great traction and no "truing" needed. For urethane, I use a variety of tires from Slot Car Express. Urethane does not collect dust like silicone and provides great traction as well.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Since the opening post asked specifically about tires for home plastic track, I was wondering what considerations go into selecting a tire for plastic track as opposed to (I guess) a routed track.

I am not a racer, nor have I done any kind of testing or experimenting with tires. However, I have reached one conclusion for plastic track; I like the tires to have a larger O.D. than the minimum possible. Why? The higher rail and uneveness of the rail joints leads to a lot of bouncing and noise (and shoe wear). When I use larger tires, some of that problem is alleviated. I don't get the advantage of the lowest center of gravity possible, but I get a quieter, smoother ride - and that's my goal. Plus, if all the cars are set up the same, there is no advantage/disadvantage for any individual car.

Thanks...Joe

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
2 things to look at.

1>track material
2>down force.

no matter the tire, silicone, rubber or sili/sponge. They can all react to the various surfaces differently.

there formica, corian, etc.. various plastics from maxtrack, wiz track, tko, etc,,

how do people clean the tracks, temp, humidity, etc..

tires can be not sticky enoug, to sticky, or just right!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Boingy

Think of shocks.

The general rule of thumb is not unlike the 1:1 world; how ever, slot cars have no suspension! All shock absorbtion is performed by the tires. Softer compounds for rougher surfaces...like plastic sectional. As the surface becomes more uniform and the addition of magnetic down force (training wheels) you can firm things up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts