Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you know I work for a apartment complex as a Maintenance Supervisor and one of the things that I love is when I do a trash out of an apartment. You never know what you can find. I one time found about seven hundred dollars worth of silver nuggets. Another time I came across several old military patches.

Today I was working on trashing out a apartment, trashing out is throwing away all the junk and c%^p that residents don't want to take with them.

As I was picking up trash in this unit I was in shock as I was finding Hot Wheels, Maisto, Matchbox, and many other items. I will take pictures of some of the other items I found in this unit tom and post them.

The biggest haul of the day at work is the 61 Die Cast that I found through out the apartment.

I will take a better picture of them later this week. When I walked out of the Unit I had a toat full of Die Cast and other stuff that I took home with me.

Bellow is a picture of the smaller die cast that I found, I plan on adding a few to my collection and the rest will be sent out for RAOK's and trade. I plan on taking pictures of each one this weekend. Plus I still have a a lot to go through. The second picture is the room that I found these gems in and there is still more to clean out of that room.

This is the room I found these in and I will be cleaning out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Congrats Dave.... Talk about finding freeeeeeeeee goodies..... :thumbsup:

How do people just up and leave their stuff behind ???? I hope they get hit hard with a cleaning bill :freak:

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats Dave.... Talk about finding freeeeeeeeee goodies..... :thumbsup:

How do people just up and leave their stuff behind ???? I hope they get hit hard with a cleaning bill :freak:

Lets just say they will have one very large bill for the trash out and putting the unit back together. And believe it or not bro this happens all the time. A lot of guys in my line of work will take this stuff to the flea market and making a fortune once a month.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Lets just say they will have one very large bill for the trash out and putting the unit back together. And believe it or not bro this happens all the time. A lot of guys in my line of work will take this stuff to the flea market and making a fortune once a month.
I bet... I am sure many make their fair share from the items in cash:p

Sorry to hear you have to be a house cleaner too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Wow Dave, I've never seen somebody leave so much stuff behind in an apartment. A little garbage on the floor maybe, but not like this.

I wonder sometimes how many closet diecast collectors are out there. But this looks more like left over kid's toys rather than an adult collection.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow Dave, I've never seen somebody leave so much stuff behind in an apartment. A little garbage on the floor maybe, but not like this.

I wonder sometimes how many closet diecast collectors are out there. But this looks more like left over kid's toys rather than an adult collection.

It is a kids room, the couple that lived there had three and the kids had a couple hundred die cast. Unfortunately this is normal out here where people leave so much behind. Especially when they are skipping out on their lease.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
I used to do that stuff for a realestate agency, rehabing houses... First we had to clean them out... I found some amazing stuff... It was like a treasure hunt... Anything ya found was yours !!! Congrats on those finds !!!

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to do that stuff for a realestate agency, rehabing houses... First we had to clean them out... I found some amazing stuff... It was like a treasure hunt... Anything ya found was yours !!! Congrats on those finds !!!
That's the way it is here too. In some of the larger complexes I have worked at you had to get in there quick but since for the most part I am the only guy at this one I get my choice of the best stuff.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
About seven years ago, I worked primarily through temp agencies for a time, which gave me the opportunity to taste test different professions. This reminds me of a gig I had for a disaster cleanup company. We went to this apartment where the previous tenants left the place a total mess - or maybe it was a mess anyway. But I do recall a lot of ketchup and mustard on the walls, just splattered all over the place... I think it was ketchup and not blood. :lol:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Some people really SUCK! I feel bad for the Kid(s) whos parents are too screwed up to pack their childrens toys when moving. Some little guy is gonna miss those in 20 or 30 years.
Nice free haul though.
:thumbsup:

·
Banned
565 Posts
Sadly enough I worked for a realtor and I have seen and smelled some pretty awful homes being put up on the market. After everything has been removed from the house the sellers would hire me to clean the house top to bottom before listing it on the market, which included windows, floors, wiping walls down, cleaning the bathrooms & Kitchens, etc. I sit back and think to myself, come on people pick up a rag and wipe a counter off or sweep the floor, anything would be nice. Thinking back I don't think I charged enough... :lol:

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I have to agree with c-p. We both have kids that we put first in our lives as we all do, I'm sure. it's hard to imagine such thoughtless parents who leave their kids' things behind in such a trashy mess.

Dave, I'm glad that the cars will now belong to someone who appreciates them...

:wave:

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadly enough I worked for a realtor and I have seen and smelled some pretty awful homes being put up on the market. After everything has been removed from the house the sellers would hire me to clean the house top to bottom before listing it on the market, which included windows, floors, wiping walls down, cleaning the bathrooms & Kitchens, etc. I sit back and think to myself, come on people pick up a rag and wipe a counter off or sweep the floor, anything would be nice. Thinking back I don't think I charged enough... :lol:

When I get done with a turn I make sure that the mess is not as bad as it was when I went in, but your right Shelly the cleaners of houses and apartments don't make enough.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
I used to clean out apartments for the city of NYC in the late eighties, we found the most bizarre things, but the craziest was about 13 grand in cash that rats had eaten past the % need to be turned in for good whole money

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
My first reaction to seeing the pics was similar to that of c-p and belair. The move was a very selfish one on the part of the parents - toward their kids and toward their landlord. The skip and run way of life will take its toll. It's no way for children to grow up.:( Sorry, but I don't see any victory in this situation....

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My first reaction to seeing the pics was similar to that of c-p and belair. The move was a very selfish one on the part of the parents - toward their kids and toward their landlord. The skip and run way of life will take its toll. It's no way for children to grow up.:( Sorry, but I don't see any victory in this situation....

Your right Dads, the true losers in this situation is the three boys. Especially when their father thinks it is funny and that nothing will happen. What they don't realize is that the company I work for will hunt them till they catch up with them and then they will garnish their wages.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Your right Dads, the true losers in this situation is the three boys. Especially when their father thinks it is funny and that nothing will happen. What they don't realize is that the company I work for will hunt them till they catch up with them and then they will garnish their wages.
Dave, I am sure the Company you work for will be sending a Collection Agency after them soon. You can run but you can't hide - no matter how far you run too. The Company you work for should have their info from doing a background check on them before they ever moved in which will give your Company who you work for, all the info they need to find them.

Oh crap... I know way too much ..:rolleyes:.. Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn >>>>>>>>>>

·
Banned
565 Posts
I used to clean out apartments for the city of NYC in the late eighties, we found the most bizarre things, but the craziest was about 13 grand in cash that rats had eaten past the % need to be turned in for good whole money

I know we were in NYC last weekend and we walked out of a parking garage at about 8:30am and across the street there were a bunch of garbage bags sitting on the curb from an all night restaurant and we were just about to cross the street till my daughter said, " DAD, I AM NOT GOING OVER THERE, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE MICE." I turned and looked at her (this kid is 13 and so smart but no common sense) and said in a calm voice, "Honey, those are rats" So what does she do.. She screams at the top of her lungs and people walking on the street just looked at her... I laughed at her, she wanted to go home at that point. Those dang rats need to go join the happy cows in CA.... :lol:

I love taking my daughter to NYC it is an experience every time, the last time we were in NYC she was amazed by a hobo sleeping in the park, I believe she took a picture of him.... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts