Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My memory is generally sharp, and I recall way back in the early days when the "Gold Series" was first announced, that those highly detailed cars were originally touted to have "flocked" interiors. They later changed that idea, but I don't recall what the reason was for the change? I think the idea was cool as heck, and would have loved to see them done that way. I recall this because I received my extra 50th Anniversary '66 Corvette Convertibles, and from what I know those are the only car ever to get that type of interior in JL's.

I also remember that the Gold Series cars were originally in boxed packages, with 3 viewable sides. I had planned a nice display case for them, before they changed that aspect to those irritable "recloseable" blister packs.

Has any other 1:64 diecast maker done the flocked interiors before, or since?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Flocking is simply ground felt, giving things a fuzzy touch. One of the bosses at JL wanted to flock a Boogie Van and do the Dumb and Dumber van. The Gold Series were changed from box to blister, much to my disappointment, because we encountered great disappointment from the hobby channels who were to carry them (one distributor in particular wrote a multi-page screed on the matter). Since this was for those customers, we changed it to be accomodating. And then it tanked, not least of which (I suspect) because calling it Gold Series confused it too much with Classic Gold. (The Gold Series name was left over from when the concept was simply to gold-plate the cars and sell them that way, similar to what Racing Champs did in '98-99 and which hung around shops for 3+ years afterwards.) Platinum series, maybe--anything to differentiate. Oh well. Couldashouldawoulda.

As for the flocking, as I recall, it was argued that since we were going for all-out realism, that flocking didn't really cut it--it was out of scale, looked ridiculous etc. Another prong of the argument was that none of these cars had the tufted velour interiors that flocking wold represent--most of them were simply vinyl, which molded (or painted) plastic could easily represent. As a compromise (again, as I recall) we painted some interior details instead.

jk

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And there you have it! Thanks, Jeff!

It actually looks good in the interior of the Vette. I'm not so sure anything but black would work in any given interior. But the painted details worked out nicely in those cars that had them.

For those still wondering, think early 70's blacklight posters, the ones with the black felt. Comparable to that. Or just open a #11 of 50 '66 Corvette Convertible and feel the seat finish. :dude:

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
also noticed it in a 1/18th car..probably one that the Muscle car guys would not even look at, but saw it in the Ertl pink Honda S2000 convertible from the Fast and Furious series.. it is pink flocking on the seats....

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"probably one that the Muscle car guys would not even look at"

Yup!
:)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I liked the idea, it just didn't make sense to me in a hardtop version. I think it should have been on open top convertibles only. If I remember right, most or all of these early versions were hardtops, no?

This could be one of the future Holy Grails of die-cast collecting. Think of all the past cutting edge ideas that were killed to later become the most rare and sought after castings. Pink Hot Wheels.......in my day was blasphamy and now,$$$!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have one of those samples (prototypes?) of a Cuda convertible with a white flocked interior. This was one of the hand-painted samples which was before before the Gold Series, but was suppose to represent the idea behind them. I'll shoot some pics.

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SiNutt said:
Is this the aforementioned car that has the flocked interior?

(pic borrowed from JLCC site)
In a way. The one in the shot there looks like it might have a blueness, possibly two-color interior, which the actual cars don't have. They're a true solid black, and it really does look nice.

When I get around to it, I'll shoot a pic of one of mine.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Here's the pics of the prototype I have. This is a "Gold Series" Cuda that never was. The flockin interior was flocked by those flockers in China. The flocking chassis...er...the chassis was also painted in China, but the details were hand painted.

Pics are big to show detail...

R

·
0 Posts
I'm serious, $1.00 crisp, clean US Dollar!! Right now!!! You won't have to wait!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts