Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on one myself and I would love to see some pictures of what other people have done...anything cool out there?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I don't have a room to say I have the dining area of my apartment. Since I live with my girlfriend and her father this is the area I display my die cast in. I bought the three case from Amazon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! How well does that Carney case keep out the dust? I've been thinking of getting some, but I'm worried about dust getting in it.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
I use shot glass wall displays and cassette tape displays. I just take out every other slat in the cassette case. I also have an 8 foot coffee table full of stuff. A 4 shelf beer display cabinet full as well

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Not a room, per se

But I did build this display cabinet for my library. I'm still not quite finished with the room, as you can probably tell from the missing trim. I was thinking about putting glass doors on the cabinet but that's pretty expensive. I may yet do it but the cars are each in their own case so it keeps the dust, etc. out. I also built similar shelves/cabinet up one wall of the stairway to our upstairs room, stepping them along the way to fit the stairs. They're really pretty simple - just double boxes, one within another.

(still have to finish the wiring, I'm afraid :drunk:)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
...anything cool out there?

well, mine isnt cool. but it is packed.
and I can only display a small percentage of my collection.
it's better than nothing:

eventually, I would like to build a two story, 6 car garage.
the second floor would house my toy collection.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I really like the Carney Case and it does pretty good at keeping the dust and all out. Sorry about the mess in the room but it is also my "Maintenance Office" for the complex and the one thing I hate is paperwork so it ends up just piling up. just one word of advise on the carney case get help trying to hang it up. It was a real joy trying to do it by myself.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My basement is pretty much all toys, though I do have displays in other parts of the house as well. I'll stick with just the basement for now.
I have since added two more 30 car cases to this wall.

I built these into the wall with white melamine, then had receptionists windows made for them.

Just a little something I found on Craislist.

The sitting area. There are two of the large Thomas and Friends display units.

The railroad. It's about to be dismantled and relocated.

The view from the front.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
My basement is pretty much all toys, though I do have displays in other parts of the house as well. I'll stick with just the basement for now.
I have since added two more 30 car cases to this wall.

I built these into the wall with white melamine, then had receptionists windows made for them.

Just a little something I found on Craislist.

The sitting area. There are two of the large Thomas and Friends display units.

The railroad. It's about to be dismantled and relocated.

The view from the front.
Now that is one impressive set up.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I have one and working on a whole garage which will no longer be a garage... It will be a diecast house... Planning on a second floor above and a 10 X 12 room on the side of it... Hopefully to be done by the end of summer... Ya start out being organized and then ya just start sticking new stuff where ever ya can fit it !!!

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Here's the 4 walls of my messy office, which I am rapidly running out of room also !!!
I'll try to get some pics of my storage if I can get in it !!! LOL!!!
I am soooooo out of control, and finally realized why I'm always running behind on my paper work... With all these toys in an office to play with, what do you think I do most of the time I should be working ? !!!

Sorry the pics are not so good, but I hope ya get the point !!!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Ya start out being organized and then ya just start sticking new stuff where ever ya can fit it !!!
Amen to that brother! :freak: I just moved to a bigger room a couple of months ago (still don't have it done) and I'm already out of space and just sticking the "new" stuff in where ever. I'll get some pics up later today.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
My garage is my domain. Here are a few shots of my collection that is displayed. I have a combination of Carney cases and Johnny Lightning cases that connect.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts

I have a workbench in my garage but it was slowly being overcome by "new arrivals" that were preventing me from doing actual repair work. Seeing how my mancave was getting out of control, my wife suggested I set up an area in the basement for my collection - including two metal shelving units for my Jammers cases. She set up a really cool area for me. It will be my "work in progress" for awhile so I can set it up as I want. The beauty is, this new spot is NOT to replace what I have in my garage - the display cases stay on the wall. It is IN ADDITION to my original mancave! How cool is that? No pics of the new area yet. I want to work on it more before I'm ready to show it off.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
For my modest collection I use a mish-mash of bookcases with clear display cases...

some CD shelving...

and golf ball and miscellaneous cases on the bookshelves...

The drawbacks of a collection are:
· Dust
· Further collecting - there are additions to every shelf here since these photos were taken as a collection is never static.
· Space - No matter how much room you have for a display area, there is never enough space for everything. I have bins full of vehicles in several scales not on display. I have no room to display my pressed steel trucks from the '20s-'50s nor the tin and plastic vehicles from the '50s and '60s
· Frustration at not seeing the stored collection on a regular basis. Rotation of the collection is well-intended, but doesn't happen often enough

CJ has the right idea, but even with a two-story, six-car garage a collection could still take it over. My friend built a two-story 4-bay garage with a lift that his collections of diecast and 1:1s have already overgrown...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts