Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If they are not inserted in the cases I think most retailers will reduce the quantity they buy by release 4. Is Autoworld is trying to eliminate hobby stores from buying them? If they "introduce other chase-inspired elements to their standard production cars to make them more fun and exciting to collect than ever before!", won't the new "Chase car" be just like the White Thunder and be "sold at exorbitant prices, while regular production cars are heavily discounted"?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I want to know where to find the regular production stuff 'heavily discounted'. From what I can see, since round 2/AW took over these things are in real high demand all around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Autoworld is making a HUGE mistake. They should not change a thing, collectors enjoy the hunt to get the chase cars. This will only hurt the distributors. I hope Tom will rethink this program. Sounds like he is out to make alot more money not supply us with a great product.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
How is Tom making more money? I applaud this move

He's cutting production to 150 per car, if he was after cash don't ya think he would leave the numbers around 500? I'm thrilled about the news, I'm tired of being held up for something I enjoy collecting. Now I can control where I send my money and ensure it gets to the intended party (Auto World) instead of lining some merchants pockets, that provides lousy service and also holds me up on shipping. I question if these dealers on ebay are really partners in profit for Auto World as I suspect they have no interest in Auto World except for the White Lighting's to run out on the public at FOUR to TEN times the suggested selling price - That's right the suggested selling price of these much sought after cars is $14.99 - ever pay that? (I know I haven't)
As far as I'm concerned I'm still gonna spend the same money, but now I'll get a heck of a lot more with that money.

In my way of thinking $90.00 for six cars with the right to buy six iWheels for $150.00 is a deal for everyone (try to buy all six Auto World release #1
White Lightnings for $150.00 in either format) but the people that have been dumping them on ebay at crazy makeups. I say good riddance to the days of paying $50.00 or more for a car you would like to own. On a different note, I'm sure there will still be a secondary ebay market that I'm hoping I'm no longer part of.

I feel like Tom has the end consumer/collector at heart and wants to provide a good product for a fair price and who am I to complain that Tom is freeing up some of my money to buy more toys. :thumbsup:

Pickeringtondad

BTW - This is not aimed at anyone, just my thoughts as to the direction Tom has chosen to take his company.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
from aw website

AUTO WORLD DEVELOPS NEW MARKETING PLAN FOR ELECTRIC SLOT RACERS

February 23, 2007 - South Bend, Indiana

Auto World, a division of Round 2, LLC, is a leading manufacturer of collectible electric slot racing cars and accessories. Today, Auto World announced a new marketing strategy for its limited production "White Thunder" collector chase cars. For those unfamiliar, every release of six Thunderjet 500 or X-Traction electric slot racers offers a very small production percentage of each car decorated in the signature White Thunder style. These very limited cars feature pearl white body paint, a white chassis, white rubber tires and even a white tray for the jewel case packaging. Until now, White Thunder vehicles were included randomly in standard case packs, meant to ultimately reach the lucky consumers who find them.

Auto World has seen an increasing practice of White Thunder cars being sold at exorbitant prices, while regular production cars are heavily discounted. President Tom Lowe states, "In an effort to reduce scalping and level the playing field for collectors, Auto World has decided to market our chase cars directly to the consumer by way of our web site, www.autoworldslotcars.com. This will allow true collectors an equal chance to purchase our very limited special edition cars at a fair price. Further, Auto World will introduce other chase-inspired elements to their standard production cars to make them more fun and exciting to collect than ever before!"

To kick off the new marketing plan, the White Thunder cars are being renamed. Starting with Release 2, the cars will be dubbed "iWheels Racers", but will retain their trademark pearl white bodies and other white components. Only 150 iWheels cars will be produced for each body style; a mere 4.3% over and above the standard production run. While standard production cars are produced in both clam packs and jewel cases,iWheels Racers are being packaged in jewel cases ONLY! For their inaugural Release 2 debut, (expected to ship in April, 2007) iWheels Racers will feature details tampo printed or sprayed in gold, to make them even more specialized in comparison to their regular production counterparts.

Following is a detailed explanation of how the Release 2 iWheels Racers program will work:

OPTION A

For the FIRST 30 DAYS following Release 2, if collectors purchase all six STANDARD Release 2 production cars at Auto World's online price of $14.95 each, they will be given the opportunity to buy a complete set of six corresponding iWheels Racers (one of each) at $24.95 per car and receive free shipping on their order. Maximum one set of iWheels Racers per customer, regardless of total number of standard production cars purchased. Clams and jewel cases cannot be mixed. Standard release cars with chase elements are included at random and are NOT guaranteed. iWheels Racers must be purchased at the same time as the qualifying set of standard production cars. To purchase X-Traction iWheels, standard production X-Traction racers must be purchased. For Thunderjet 500 iWheels Racers, standard production Thunderjets must be purchased.

OPTION B

AFTER 30 DAYS has elapsed, and SUBJECT TO AVAILABLE REMAINING STOCK, collectors may also purchase iWheels Racers as follows: Order all six standard production cars at $14.95 each, and have the opportunity to buy up to five (1-5) single iWheels Racers at the price of $29.95 per car. One of each car only - no multiples of the same car will be allowed. iWheels Racers must be purchased at the same time as the qualifying set of standard production cars. Subject to remaining stock, collectors will still be able to buy complete sets of iWheels Racers through 'Option A' after 30 days has elapsed. Clams and jewel cases cannot be mixed. Standard release cars with chase elements are included at random and are NOT guaranteed.

FIRST LAP OPTION

As an alternate option to purchasing standard production cars, collectors may substitute the purchase of a set of six Release 2 X-Traction First Lap Racers in order to have the opportunity to buy a set of the iWheels Racers. Release 1 First Lap Racers are not eligible and do not qualify for this option. iWheels Racers must be purchased at the same time as the qualifying set of First Lap racers. Maximum one set of iWheels cars per customer, regardless of the number of First Lap sets purchased.
With Auto World's new marketing strategy, consumers will now have an even chance to collect and enjoy specialized collector products like the new iWheels Racers. Auto World's X-Traction First Lap Racers have proven to be another very successful program developed for collectors, with iWheels Racers sure to follow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Some questions for Tom Lowe:
Will 150 (of every body type) be enough to satisfy the demand if every member of the auto world club wants to purchase a set of iWheels Racers?
How many members are there in the auto world club?
Why only 150 of each?
Will purchasing a particular set (the first lap option versus option a) give preference to who can buy the sets?
What will be the price of the first lap set?
How many of the first lap sets will be made?Will there be less if you haven't sold out the first set?
How will payment be accepted? pay pal? momey orders? personal checks? credit card w/o paypal? Will any of these payment options take preference over who gets the sets?
Will there be a first lap set for tjets?

I think that covers all my questions for the moment.

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
hartracerman said:
This sounds too much like only the ritch are going to get lucky.
Maybe, but this is what most people have been asking for. I don't agree with the "buy all these and you can buy all these others" thing, but, what ya gonna do?
but there is mention of other chase inspired elements?? what the heck does that mean............a few black thunder cars thrown in here and there??

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Long as I can score a first lap and iwheels and every other version of the upcoming Jeep, Im good. As to the other bodystyles, I prefer the regular releases.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
demo49 said:
I hope Tom will rethink this program. Sounds like he is out to make alot more money not supply us with a great product.

I disagree. The XTs are the best theyve EVER been. These were selling just fine when 1 in 3 of the chassis were total crap, with the 'good' ones not much better. And the sheer barrage of new bodystyles with much better paint that arent all warped and cockeyed *coughhemicudacough* is just further proof. I dont know if Tom's plan is the perfect solution but at least it helps level the playing field some. Id rather see them available individually to club members, maybe after you buy so many of the regular releases or something. But again, my perspective is that I only want that Jeep in the goofy, low release colors.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The whites don't interest me. I might have ordered one or two thru aw's web site if they were offered to us club members individually. The idea that I have to buy six of these and then six of those is not for me. As far as stopping this so called scalping, I don't agree. These cars will still end up on the Bay. Tom is not stopping scalping. He just wants to be the chief scalper. That is ok. It is his company and I have bought a lot of his stuff but lets call it what it is. Dave.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't think they are for club members only. And if you have to join the club to purchase from the website it's no big deal. It's easy and free.
I understand the guy who can't come up with $240.00 to get the iWheel chase cars. Odds are he isn't not going to spend $35.00 to $100.00 each for the white thunders either. I know because I'm one of those guys.
But it's going to save money for the collector that is buying cases of the regular production run one to show and one to race. Now he or she has the option to buy all six at $150.00 instead of buying them from a distributor at $300.00 to $500.00 for all 6.
Good move Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Randy.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I keep reading stuff that doesn't make sense to me.

First of all - If it was about money wouldn't Tom keep production at 500 units per car????? Fact is 150 units per car x $24.95 = $3,742.00. Now six cars @ $3,742.00 = $22,452.00 actual dollars realized. Wouldn't you agree that if production was kept at 500 units per car @ $14.95 each that would be $7,475.00. Now six cars @ $7,475.00 = $44,850.00 actual dollars that could be in in Toms till. So based on what Tom is doing, it will cost his company at least $22,400 in actual dollars that could be tendered, maybe more by reducing the number to 150 units per car (so the thought that Tom is after money just doesn't wash in my mind.)
2nd - If I was Tom I'd require people to purchase the set also. While I'm sure he hopes all cars will sell, it's another thing to have the stock laying around which you have to inventory, warehouse and of course purchase. This doesn't include the cost of having someone around doing the shipping and picking of said items. For arguments sake say three of the cars are highly sought after, that leaves three that are not sought after. Who gets to hang onto the three unpopular cars? Tom can clear these out to folks that want the other three at a reasonable price ($24.95 per car) and not have the headaches of having to worry about the inventory. Now for the collector that doesn't want the entire set, there is always e-bay and of course sites like hobby talk who's members will almost always purchase a few items. If you sold your unwanted cars at $25.00 per car (a bargain for white Lightnings) You could clear them in hardly any time. (So you got the three cars you really wanted and it cost you $24.95 per car) It's still a better deal than trying to pick up one car at a buy it now of $49.99.
3rd - What if Tom sold the Chrome 55 Chevy's only to dealers, would you pay the prices these cars are going for? Hasn't anyone noticed who the cars were sold to? I'd like believe that it's not about the dealers now, but rather the collector/end user.
By the way if you were to purchase something from Tom and turn around and sell it (like the 55 chrome Chevy's) would that be the worst thing that ever happened?
4th - It's not what is best for us, but what makes sense to Toms pocketbook and what satisfies his desire to do right by the collectors and buyers of his products.
5th - I don't know Tom, I have never spoke to or met Tom, but I have no complaints or criticisms of Auto World. In my way of thinking the Ho slot car world is a little better because of Auto World and the products they provide to me.
6th - I know some will find these views unpopular but the facts are as they are, you can either purchase the cars or choose to ignore them. I'd like to believe that it's no longer about ebay, but rather the end user. (who happens to be me and you, to which I applaud)

Pickeringtondad

Flame if you must - but I just don't get the criticism of someone who's saving you money or at least giving you control of your ability to collect the cars you want at a reasonable price. (unless your a dealer)

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Pickerington,
Why would anyone flame you for what you said? nothing wrong there.

In my mind Tom is the ruler of the slot car world, and he's just trying to make more people happy.

Does anyone remember what Tom sold playing mantis for dollar wise? I don't think he needs money, he's a slot car guy at heart and as I said before, I think he's just trying to make more people happy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interesting news - I wonder how many of these iWheels will make it to the international scene; whilst you guys in the US may complain about resale prices there, I don't believe I've seen a White Lightning here in Australia (excluding one guy who bought one back from the States).

Please, Mr. Lowe, allow international shipping ... without me having to take up the generous offers from people on this board to ship for me. :(

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Last time I checked this was a free country. Tom's free to promote as he chooses, as we are free to buy or not.

I personally dont care for the ole' you gotta buy this to buy that plan. Sounds like an effort to move unpopular stock by hostaging the cool stuff. If I want something bad enough I'll gladly pay for it, but a good deal on something I dont want or need is not a good deal. It would be like the Dodge dealer telling me, "Sure we'll sell you a Viper, but you'll have to buy these minivans first.

It should be a valuable lesson: Dont make unpopular cars in barfy colors and you wont be stuck with them. The consumer is trying to tell you something. Lil' cars or big cars it's all the same.

I believe that a discounted direct sell to sanctioned clubs or groups is appropriate. As for the dealers and maniac collectors their fate is their own.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
So....

So if I buy all 6 regular cars for $119.70, I can buy all six iWheels for $149.70 ...?
Collectors will do it.

And I bet the first run of iWheels will go for decent money on Ebay....
Looks like I will miss that...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts