Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kiwi, are you entertaining the idea of collecting as an investment by chance? ;)
Not as such. Just a little more high end and rare or special or unusual than mainlines. Provided this one is real. The rivet is throwing me off a bit.

I've been looking into these things for a few weeks now. I still collect other brands obviously, especially new siku, but anything that strikes me as "special" on any sort of level will get my attention. And a simple green stripe doesn't do it any more. Sheer numbers don't either. Having one of 50,000 isn't a good ratio. A car that shouldn't exist or has only been made for a few months before it was withdrawn...something like that...you get the idea. :wave:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Looking at the pic that rivet kind of throws me off too, but I have seen rivets that looked fishy on $1 common cars too, so I don't know what to make of it. Sometimes you can have two cars out of the same case and for some reason the rivets don't look the same. I do find it odd that a car that looks as close to dead mint as that one has a massive wear spot on the base.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
The rivet looks so recessed, it doesn't appear to even go through the base.
Not that this is the case here, but I can see how someone could drop in a phony rivet head to hide a screw. Anything can be made to look legit in a photo. You just can't be sure unless you inspect it in hand.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
it's been drilled out.that has been restored.loks like the while even wallowed out alittle due to the wrong drill bit being used.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Trying to figure this out,and it looks like this was the car that was used in the photo shoot for the catalog???
I read it several times and the description makes no sense to me,at least what I can see of it.

So the whole thing with the rivet being drilled out is legit.Probably for whatever reasons,they needed a white car for the pic in the catalog.So they took a silver one and painted it white.It certainly stands out better in the pic then the silver one would have.

If its legit its a pretty cool piece.Definetly one of a kind.

Mike

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought but I don't think I'm buying it. I'm torn between the rivet and baseplate situation vs. the factory looking paint job on the body. Fun to try and figure out but to dish out the money it's just too unclear.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yes this is a tough one to know for sure. Obviously the model for auction is exactly the same as one shown in the 1981 catalog on the surface, and there are a few of these dotted about. I have seen a couple of them in collections, but admit to never looking at the bases to check rivets. Why would I?

Now rivets can occasionally be dodgy looking straight from the factory. I was told this by a former Lesney employee who said that they occasionally did not line one up right and it looked pretty bad. But as long as the model was still holding together they would send it out. The same can be said for pre-production models. Why would they be worried if they had not been rivetted correctly? I own a pretty standard Lesney model with a dodgy rivet, but it came in a sealed blisterpack and I don't see why anyone would rivet out a model, replace with the same parts and spend time carefully sealing in a blister. It is a common model, not one that is in any way shape or form rare. It does happen.

But you do have to err on the side of caution. Especially when it comes to the more unusual models. The problem with auction site pictures is that you do not know where it comes from, and a picture can easily be manipulated to make things look different. The only real way to know is to hold the model in hand and see it with your own 2 eyes. It is not to say that what this seller says is completely true, and this is what it appears to be. You could get lucky and own a true prepro item, in fact the one that was pictured in 1981. Or you could get stung. It is a tough choice, and not a cheap one either.

I am lucky in that I do own a pre-production BMW M1. However, mine is all-black (a picture is shown on Christian Falkensteiner's site). Mine does have a good rivet on it.

:) :D :p

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Not as such. Just a little more high end and rare or special or unusual than mainlines. Provided this one is real. The rivet is throwing me off a bit.

I've been looking into these things for a few weeks now. I still collect other brands obviously, especially new siku, but anything that strikes me as "special" on any sort of level will get my attention. And a simple green stripe doesn't do it any more. Sheer numbers don't either. Having one of 50,000 isn't a good ratio. A car that shouldn't exist or has only been made for a few months before it was withdrawn...something like that...you get the idea. :wave:
Sounds like the start of "Chase Fever"...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Someone's bidding so I guess it'll go to a good home...
I've been watching this auction.Interesting.

If this is what they claim it to be,and I am guessing it is,if it sold now for the 78 dollars it's up to now,I would say its definetly worth it.

A one of a kind piece,that played a small part it the history of matchbox.Even if it was only that it's picture was in a MB catalog.

Nice to see some activity in the Matchbox section of HT.:thumbsup:

Mike

·
Registered
763 Posts
It is definitely worthwhile if it is indeed the one shown in the picture in the 1981 catalog. A part of me would want it, but I am not a risk taker so am not going to.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say if this is genuine, it's probably one like the catalog version, not exactly the same. What are the chances that it made its way to the South Island of New Zealand? ;-) all this chat is making me want to bid on it too. I won't.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It most likely is not the exact model pictured. The Rover 3500 is documented in yellow as the version that was shown in the 1981 catalog. Many still classify it as a prepro, although a few random examples were found in the Car Transporter set when they were released, by people who remember finding it in 1981 in stores. A number of examples do exist (I own one of them), and odd examples have turned up in various places. The BMW does appear to be much rarer in white than the Rover 3500 in yellow, and has never been recollected as found in a store in 1981 by anyone. So it cannot be said as to how many were made or whether odd ones did end up in stores anywhere.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I might have tried harder if it wasn't for the baseplate and the rivet. I see that the seller has posted what he thinks is a genuine pre-pro right next to it. I will keep an eye out for the Rover though. The bronze variation seems to be easy enough to come by.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The winning bid was 260.00 New Zealand dollars. Absolutely not in my budget but congrats to the winner...the same guy I bought the Japanese MBX from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts