Hobbyist Forums banner

What 19 turn do you prefer?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
I prefer the ARCOR 19t simply because it allows a motor sponsor to sell more than just a pair of brushes at an event that they may be sponsoring. If a handout 19t is run then any motor builder as stated can contribute a pair of brushed to that motor. Now with the ARCOR style motors they get to use a teardown of choice, of legal submission, wind it and watch THEIR work actually speak for itself. To my point, machine wound motors allow event sponsors to say, hey I sold a pair of brushes that helped that motor win, handwound allows them to say, our effort/ work won the event I participated in sponsoring. Did I mention that already ;)

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I have to say ultrabirds. Down here in florida we run them and the racing is super close. i have 4 motors and they all run real close to the same. plus with the recent news of the 13t/19t there is no worrying about getting out motored. or the team guy getting a killer arm. so it is sort of spec but it allows us to still play with brushes springs and timing. did I mention the racing is close. got www.focars.net and look at the results

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Even with the recent chain of events, I prefer the ARCOR 19t. I agree w/ jbm, and that's why we wanted to allow this type of motor to be run.

In some parts of the country, I think the 19t class is basically just a FAST Stock class. I would agree the Ultra-Bird would be a killer motor for that type of class.

There are times when a closer motor control would be cool to take out the doubt on Motor vs. Setup vs. Batteries as to why you get beat, because it does seem when you equalize the Motor and Battery the competition DOES get closer...which kind of debunks the theory that it's ALL handling, handling, handling.

·
Registered
691 Posts
In the FOCAR series, the top 7 in 19T were all on the same lap!. That would be great. Around here, the field is spread way out. The 2 or so fast guys will have many laps on everyone else.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Ultrabird!!! If you want the all out do what you want type racing then just go modified! 19 t is sort of a fast stock and should be run by people with experience and wheel skills. In my opinion stock should be for newbies and those with less wheel skills, and 19t ultrabird is perfect for the more experienced racers (who should also help out the lesser skilled ) I am not taking away anything from those who run stock now, but to me the speed of 19t is just right and the ultrabird motor keeps the playing field level. Just my .02 cents not ment to start a war!!

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
I just want a 19 turn motor that I know that is LEGAL....The Handwound motors who knows right now.....I like the Komodo , easy to make alot of power. I perfer the laydown brushes......so 24 degree 19 turn is what I want in a 19 turn class....

·
Registered
46 Posts
i prefer the handwound motor however it would be nice to have all 19t's on the same page. it would just be nice to be able to run one type of motor for tc, offroad and oval. (i think that the handwound should be the motor of choice across the board)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jbm38 said:
I prefer the ARCOR 19t simply because it allows a motor sponsor to sell more than just a pair of brushes at an event that they may be sponsoring.
I see your point there but here's how I look at it. I have no interest in racing (IE: purchasing 19 turn stuff) Roar/Arcor 19 turn because there are so many variables...rpm armatures, torque arms, hemi wrap, mabuchi wrap, epics, mt. fujis, yokomo, laydown brushes, standup brushes, P94's, then throw in the latest craze, round brushes or brush hoods that go in on an angle. I doubt the motor builder is really making much more on a handwound motor after their time is factored in to wind it.
I wonder how many are in the same boat as me... they would race 19 turn if the rules weren't so crazy.
Call the Ultrabird and Komodo a "glorified stocker" if you want, but to me the Arcor 19 turn is a very close to a full blown, open mod motor, with a 19 turn arm...and look where mod is... dead!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Ultrabird, or Komodo, I have never seen a person gain 2 laps in a run by changing a Machine wound, BUT i Have seen Handwounds that where handed to drivers and go out and gain 2 laps in 1 run......Not saying they are illegal, just there seems to be to big of a diffrence.....

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I'll go on record to say that I wish it would all go back to machine wound 19 turn's. Mr. Putnam has said the exact same thing as well as a few other motor builder/Tuners. The handwound stuff is just hard to keep up with. Not to mention the fear of other's possibly cheating. It gets expensive to stock 4 different kinds of Arm/Can/Endbell types for a class that is probably one of the smallest in the US (other than 4 cell pro mod).

EA

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
And to think that not to long ago the 19trn class was the largest class till it went hand wound.... i can remember running at sandhills on a reguler weekly race and having an A & B main and some times even a C....

Machine wound locked timing... or adjustable would be good as long as long as racers weren't allowed to change the timing past 36 degrees.... only complaint i have heard about the ultra bird is some places were letting the racers adjust the end bell so that they have close to 40 degrees.... thats another load of rumors...lol

Billy

·
Registered
878 Posts
I thought the hand wounds were a good idea when they came out.It wasn't limiting us to one manufacturer.It should have been good for the sport.But being a tech director it could be a nightmare.I have seen some handwounds that were alittle suspicious to me on the dyno.We had more racers when we ran fixed timing motors, but the numbers are down in every class.If it would increase our turn outs we would go back to the fixed timing motors.I think we will have a vote on this next year.

Brian Huffer
PDX RACING

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I think machine wound but open timing cause the timing thing takes the whole twisted arm and zapped timing mostly out of play.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I think Billy W is right. At one time the 19 turn class was the largest at Sandhills. It was at a time when 4 cell racing had taken over and many racers (stock 6 cell racers and others) did not want to slow down to 4 cell stock speed at that time. But I also think that the 4300 brushless hit 19turn class hard. Why, one motor with the speed of the 19 turn. So maybe a lot of racers are looking for just one type of motor for 19 turn.

As EA stated the winder/tuners would just as soon have a machine wind.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
RPM said:
If your running 19T the Ultrabird is the BEST!!
They Ultrabirds are a great motor....I love them as they are all pretty consistant at the handout races. Can hobbyshops buy them from Trinity? When I asked about them they told me that they were only for Handout races and series races that use them. I see them on Trinity's website now....they used to not be available to OEM or Hobbyshops....Maybe theve changed.

EA

1 - 20 of 91 Posts