Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm going to start collecting Greenlight's 1/64 cars very soon and I am wondering if anyone has a list or site that can tell me which ones have those extra wide wheels (the so called "steamroller" wheels). They just don't look right and I'd like to avoid them for now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
not really sure which sets do or do not, it varies but check out www.glcollector.com, the website has good pictures of the cars & then you can see what ones you like or don't like, i have used this site for reference many times

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Well, most of the early releases were considered to have the wider wheels. As time went by, GL changed their tooling on the wheels and began making more correct scale wheels. However, the wider wheels have shown from time to time in various releases. Really, they aren't that bad. I think of them as how the cars would have been modded back in the day anyway. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, most of the early releases were considered to have the wider wheels. As time went by, GL changed their tooling on the wheels and began making more correct scale wheels. However, the wider wheels have shown from time to time in various releases. Really, they aren't that bad. I think of them as how the cars would have been modded back in the day anyway. :thumbsup:
You got a good point there. And I guess I should realize that many of the Johnny Lightnings and most Hot Wheels come with wheels just as wide. Maybe I got spoiled by the Kyoshos and M2 Machines. :lol:

·
Registered
359 Posts
The early GL wheels look great on some issue cars and don't on others. Like on the Corvettes from mid 60s all the way up, look great, especially with the corvette rally's. The impalas look great too. The Olds 442 is a different story. They are over whelming and look way too large even for 70 mods. You just have to pick and choose. GL's web site displays the cars in 3 dimensional pics, so you can get a pretty good Idea which ones to collect and which ones to stay away from. Me personally, I collect all and do wheel tire switches to suite the look. I am working on a M2 Autozone Camaro that I took the tampos off of, and I am going to put the GL Corvette rallys (Steam rollers) on because it will look good and correct. GL Mopar rallys are the best. Because I am a customizer I trim down the back of the tires and wheels if the are too fat for the front. All of these diecast company's that make these fat wheels and tires appear to think that people would put 50 series tires all the way around their cars. In fact people would either go with 60 series all the way around, or use 50's in back and 60's in front. I feel ya. That is why I became a customizer originally. I was dissatisfied with what I saw available for Pro-street and drag cars, so I went to work.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
All of these diecast company's that make these fat wheels and tires appear to think that people would put 50 series tires all the way around their cars.
I think the universal wheel size is mostly for ease of production and to cut cost. Like why M2 has locking hubs on all four wheels of their new Chevy Apache. It's not correct, but it's easier than using a different wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts