Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
which is better of the seaview update kits?

hi guys
i was wondering whick kit to buy. im not trying to start a war or anything on this subject. im sure both kits have their ups and downs as well to the skill of the modeller which is better.rebellion creations or the skyhooks models? i would just like to hear everyones thoughts on this in a constructive manner.i appreciate your input from your experiences. thanks ahead of time.
happy holidays to all of you:D :wave: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Don't know if this helps but the Skyhook kit is the easier of the 2 to modify while the Rebellion kit is more accurate. Both are extremely nice castings though both do require a little clean up. Nothing major. I guess it depends on whether you're looking for ease or accuracy.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi captain
thank you. thats what im looking to hear.anyone else on this subject thanks phil

·
Oxidation Genius
31,221 Posts
I concurr. The Rebellion one needs "experienced modlers" skill, but the Sky Hook one maintains the Aurora kit's incorrect nose profile.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'd still go with the Skyhook one.
It's easier to install, and (I view this as a benefit) it retains the look of the Aurora model kit so a side-by-side display looks good.

The Rebellion Creations one is hands down more accurate, but if I were concerned about accuracy that much, I wouldn't start with the Aurora/PL Seaview. There's too many innaccuracies and over-emphasized detail on it. Besides, there's some pretty nice GK kits out there that gets you closer to accurate (and at a larger scale too).

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I bought the Rebellion kit. I'll be tackling it after XMas. I don't think its any harder to install than the Skyhook - just lop the front off yer Seaview, plop on the new front, putty and sand - Voila!

Huzz

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I used the Rebellion kit. Maybe it was just me, but I found that the bow piece did not match the PL hull just right. By the time I had filled and sanded the join smooth, I lost a lot of the vent detail around the bow. The FS-1 bay door wasn't a great fit either.

I had an early version of the kit with a poor Flying Sub. I think that's been improved in later castings.

Jim

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have the Skyhook version and have just started. Its fits nice, but I have been drilling out the area behind the windows so I can put the spot light in and it will glow through the white resign windows. I have been trying to locate small enogh lights for outside of the sub bay so I can light that too. A lot of work, but fun.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
To be honest with you, the Flying Sub in my recently purchased Rebellion kit is not impressive. The FS bay door will fit reasonably well, but I want to leave the FS bay open. However, the ceiling of the FS bay has a nickel-sized hemispherical blob on it. Its going to be a devil to get rid of.

The "wings" on either side of the bow are rather thin and delicate. In fact, the starboard wing was broken off my Rebellion kit when it arrived. I have since reattached it without problem.

Also, the section of the resin bow that "plugs into" the Seaview hull is a plain 1/2 or 3/4 inch diameter resin rod. It does not match the interior contour of the Seaview hull so it remains to be seen just how securely the new bow will attach to the Seaview hull.

Huzz

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I've built the Rebellion version myself. The original kit didn't have the "plug" that fit inside the hull to hold in place. I was able fix that with a wad of putty. Wasn't totally smooth, but I was able to putty and sand that to an acceptable finish. I replaced the resin bay door with a piece of scribed styrene which looked great.

I actually prefer the Flying Sub that came with the Skyhook kit. I know Orne has improved the Rebellion Flying Sub since I built mine.

Its worth noting that the Rebellion kit now comes with a new replacement "sail" though I have not worked with that part of the kit.

Steve

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I take it the Reb kit with the interior and the vac shell were discontinued then? I wanted that one but was waiting for word it had been upgraded. Heard about the fit problem.

·
Curmudgeon
6,594 Posts
lisfan said:
Anyone have an extra Skyhook conversion kit to sell?
This very question may just make your decision for you. Skyhook's site has their conversion kit listed as Out Of Stock, and has for several months. I've sent 'em a few e-mails asking when/if this kit will again be available, but never received a response. So while the Rebellion kit may be more work, right now it's your only choice...unless you perform your own conversion, of course.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
I've never had trouble contacting Dave or getting a response. In fact, when I was looking for the parts to do my Icarus diorama, I didn't need the whole kit as offered. I contacted him about getting just the parts I needed. I had a response with-in an hour and he was quite accomodating and pleasant.

The only reason I could see for him being out of stock is if the mold wore out, and you have to consider the cost of laying up new molds against the demand for the kit / part. I'd try asking him directly if he'll be offering the kit again anytime soon.

He's always been straight up with me and a pleasure to do business with. What have you got to lose? :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts