Hobbyist Forums banner

Which front end?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which front end do you use and why? I have heard some things in the past on this subject, but with a few big races into the carpet season I was just wondering what you guys think now...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Love the new KSG frontend. I did a little wall testing with it at the ovalmasters and it is amazingly durable. Very nice.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is a sweet front end. Tommy do you know if they are going to produce it for the public yet, or is it still in "testing"?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I honestly haven't talked about to Andy about it. I don't have a clue or even know if what I have is the final revision.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I still use the older style front end with the new Darkside adjustable castor blocks. The black mamba is pretty sweet and once they release a fix for the flex in the lower arms, it will likely be on one of my cars as well.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
It looks like the fix is going to be machined Delrin arms, we have run the tests in the computer over and over, it seems the PP material from AE is flexible to eliminate wear on the mold and also allow durability in the arms. I wonder why it hasn’t been a problem in the R5 cars for on road.

On another note once the front end is installed on the carbon fiber chassis test showed the chassis flex before the arm did. But from the racers perspective it is the arm that is flexing. and that could be it i am not here to say yes or no to that. Computers only give us 1/2 the true picture sometimes and then sometimes they are 99% correct.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the CEFX cars come with the old one or a R5? Wonder what Hays Jr. , and Jimmy Flack are running on their CEFX cars. For the Darkside team cars we seem to be split right now. I am currently running the R5 with HD 12th scale bulkheads, but may return to the old one to try it out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Do the CEFX cars come with the old one or a R5? Wonder what Hays Jr. , and Jimmy Flack are running on their CEFX cars. For the Darkside team cars we seem to be split right now. I am currently running the R5 with HD 12th scale bulkheads, but may return to the old one to try it out.

I know Hays Jr runs the old front end with lowered a-arms. Many guys running CEFX cars have to run shaved a-arms or the IRS ones to get enough ride height with the locators on that car when running super small tires.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know Hays Jr runs the old front end with lowered a-arms. Many guys running CEFX cars have to run shaved a-arms or the IRS ones to get enough ride height with the locators on that car when running super small tires.
Yeah that is why I went with the 12th scale ones on the Darkside slider. It has locators up front so it gave us more tuning options.

Great info so far guys. This is good to read and see what everyone else is doing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
old style.sort of.with crc upper arms & castor blocks,ksg steering blocks & axles,losi king pins,mudd teflon balls & ksg springs,about the only thing left is the lower arm and upper eyelet.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Running the T2C front end on my Nitro Pan car.

It went well over 1000 laps first time out. Not once did the settings change and it is still SLOP-FREE. I am using RC4Less kingpins and springs with KSG grooved pivot balls.

Sean makes an AWESOME product and I can assure you that you would not be dissappointed in it at all.

After making my post on questioning the flex, I took a closer look at what was happening. The chassis is flexing BEFORE that lower arm does. If I put enoug pressure on it to flex the lower arm, there will be other issues (happenings) going on to get to that point. Like a 60mph crash into the wall with a 3lb car. :yikes:

I think the machined arms will be neat, but are they going to be worth the $$$ it will take to get them?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Like a 60mph crash into the wall with a 3lb car. :yikes:
That won't happen if you have Gription on the tires!:thumbsup:

I imagine that the delrin lower arms will be pricey. I heard that the new KSG front end would likely cost $150 or so. Not even sure they are planning on selling it as a stand-alone item, but I imagine they would. So, based on that, I would say the lower delrin arms would cost you $35-$45 a set???

Older front end for me right now, with Darkside adjustable castors, KSG pivots, KSG blocks/axles, Muddslide kingpins, Muddslide springs, and a dab of that good ol' Muddslide lube. I'm using the standard Associated lower arms, upper arms, eyelets, and turnbuckles, and the IRS hinge pins.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I am using the R5 front end with the RIP bottom blocks I have tugged mashed pulled ect to see the front arms flex chassis allways flexes first G3 chassis.

But nothing wrong with a good built old front end.

I would like to see some adj alum castor blocks to fit the R5 front end if anyhing flexes its the castor block on them.

Jake

1 - 20 of 34 Posts