Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got back into RC racing (oval), and I'm in need of a dyno.
I know the Fantom unit is good but I also have heard about a dyno (C.E. turbo Dyno).
Can anyone tell me about this unit?
Is it any good?
How does it compare to the Fantom?
Who sells the c.e. turbo dyno?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Mike S

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mike, the CE dyno isn't made anymore but there are units popping up on here as well as EBAY for sale.

The Fantom is an acceleration dyno and requires a 12 volt power source as well as a 110 volt source and a computer to run it.

The CE unit requires a 12 volt source only and is a load type unit. IE. it starts the motor then applies varing loads to it that you program into the unit.

Both do a good job, the fantom does give you a little more information but it doesn't seem to see small changes, like a spring change. The CE unit see's these changes and shows that data to you.

Is one better than the other, yes and no, both units give the racer tons of info it is how you interpet that data that makes the difference.

There are several fantoms in the swap and sell area, the CE units don't come up as much and don't stay as long.

Hope this helps.

bulitbill

www.bulitmotorsports.com

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I have used the robi for the past 2-3 years with no problems.
In my opinion I think it does a better job than the fantom as far as on track performance. Meaning a good motor on my dyno is usually a good motor on the track.
I have had practice motors run horribly on my dyno and on the track, but look great on the fantom. I know guys that have owned both and claim the robi is the better unit.

I think many opt for the fantom due to its lower price than the robi, which I can't blame them for it. I found a robi used on here for a little over $400 which is comparable in price to the fantom.

J

·
0 Posts
I also have a ROBITRONIC dyno and Eagletree Car Data Recorder aswell. I purchased the car data recorder before the dyno. To my surprise, when I compare the numbers, they are almost close to the numbers I get from the dyno & the CDR. It just proved that the ROBI simulates almost the same load as that of the actual on-track data that I got from CDR. Iam still in the process of more testing as this comparison was from 1 motor. I will post my future readings after this weekend of racing.

Henry E.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
I have had the oportunity to use all the dynos mentioned, and I still endorse the CE Turbo Dyno. With variable input,load, torque, etc; settings, you can simulate any car on any track with any amount of cells.
This has proven to be the most accurate and effective dyno that I have used, and the least likely fooled. All dynos can be somewhat effective, but in my opinion the CE is at the top of the heap... :thumbsup:

Regards,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
(518) 452-0422

·
Registered
41 Posts
Todd Putnam said:
I have had the oportunity to use all the dynos mentioned, and I still endorse the CE Turbo Dyno. With variable input,load, torque, etc; settings, you can simulate any car on any track with any amount of cells.
This has proven to be the most accurate and effective dyno that I have used, and the least likely fooled. All dynos can be somewhat effective, but in my opinion the CE is at the top of the heap... :thumbsup:
Unfortunately.....CE TurboDyno is on the list of "discontinued" items on the CE Website. I wish they will re-introduce this back to production....but then again...it is way beyong my means & pocketbook. :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
I started out using a Kysoho motor checker, going to a Buds dyno, LaVco Pro dyno, Vantage digi dyno to using other racers' dyno to using a Fantom. In each instance it helped me select the best race motor or see what tuning changes did to a motor. It still took time getting use to each type and interputing the information it gives you and setting it up and obtaining the desires results on the track.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i bought a fantom. (LOVE IT...BUT)when you get it all the features arent available until you get a code(diffrent code every time you load the software) my laptop crashed so i loaded it on a full size computer and had to wait 4 days to get another code. when i got my new laptop on thursday loaded the software and had get anoter code. (explained to him what happened ) he e-mailed me back,with "how many computer are you going to run, ive given you enough codes allready". he doesnt tell you any where hes selling you crippled software.when i told him id be happy to send it back he got nice and sent the codes. machine wise there are 5 at our track and they work great. just dont try to compare numbers because they all read different, just go by yours.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The Indy is basically more of a motor checker very similar to the Orion unit and the Yokomo.
Great for breaking in motors or running a com lathe.
It does not compare to the robi, fantom, etc as far as dyno-ing a motor.

Oh and be careful with the Indi unit make sure your power supply is 12volt's max. A normal 13.8 v power supply will blow it up.

It does check amp draw which is nice, but the rpm and com features weren't too helpful.

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Yea, Thats Dave the software dude. Hes afraid he will lose a $1 profit. I would just use the DOS software in the fantom. No code, don't have to deal with Dave and its works!

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
I switched from the Fantom to the CE TurboDyno 45 -- and between the two, I like the CE Dyno a lot better. Plus I don't have to drag a laptop to the track. I use the torque steps like Todd P. does and I feel that gives me a pretty good view of how the motor is going to do off the corner and at the end of the straights. I have yet to see what I consider a "good" motor on the CE dyno not be good on the track as well.

The Fantom is a good dyno too -- but I think too many people take the "peak" numbers (i.e. "it's a 67 watt motor" ) and don't look at the underlying data.

·
Registered
41 Posts
TeamGoodwrench said:
..... I use the torque steps like Todd P. does and I feel that gives me a pretty good view of how the motor is going to do off the corner and at the end of the straights.... The Fantom is a good dyno too -- but I think too many people take the "peak" numbers (i.e. "it's a 67 watt motor" ) and don't look at the underlying data.
Pardon my ignorance. How do you use the "torque steps" to find out about what a motor can do? I just got hold of a used Robi. It has torque steps too. I don't how to use it to my advantage. Can you please or anyone, show me how to read the data? Thank you very much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts