Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

I am interested in pursing some of my own designs for models, housing, etc. As such I may need CAD SW. What do those of you who use such SW recomend?
Which is the most user friendly? The most available. The least/most expensive. And which translates well to CNC or other formats. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Last time I checked, Imsi would let you download an earlier version of Turbocad for free. The catch? You WILL be on their mailing list and WILL get advertising from them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The ultimate freebie is Blender. Though not a true cad package, it's got a lot of great qualities. The ultimate free renderer is POV Ray.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Blender Cad (when released) should address the cad based requirements and I wouldn't be too suprised to see measurement displays in the official blender release before too long. Not sure if it will make 2.35 but we'll see.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use and work with a product called MicroStation. It's AutoCad's biggest competator and costs about 5K. I have been using it in the engineering field for the last 19 years and have recently started to make al kinds of stuff in 3D. I'm planning on desiging quite a few kit that I hope to start producing by the end of the year. Let the fun begin!

Just remember that with any program there is a learning curve and if you are creating things in 3D, unless you understand the process, you are going to hvae a tough time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts