Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know, to shake paint jars? I've been using the copper ones but they corrode easily (note to self - copper/patina finish on Klingon models). I'm thinking using buckshot which are lead. Does lead corrode?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use #8 or #10-32 stainless steel nuts. Almost any small SS hardware could be used.

·
Starship Class
12,120 Posts
I always thought the oil in the paint would keep the BBs from rusting. :confused:

I don't think I use them in bottles of acrylic paint since I would expect them to rust in the water-based paint.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's...kinda the point of the thread. :)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I don't put stuff in the jars... I just use a Badger electric paint stirring "wand". Even iwht a BB or nut inside, many paints just can't be mixed well by stirring, especially enamels.

I have not found an acrylic that I could not mix well with a couple stirs from the back of a paint brush handle. Shaking many acyrlics can make them frothy and bubbly if you hand paint, anyway.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I learned the hard way over time.
Steel BB's and acrylic paints = replacement!

I don't put anything in anymore. I made a paint stirrer from a dollar store drink stirrer. If I don't use that I go old school and use club sandwich style toothpicks!

Max Bryant

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do not believe I have ever had a rust deal going on. I either use it quick enough or the paint gets old and unusable. I have some Zinc plated BB's that I am currently going through.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I believe in "stirred not shaken" I use long pieces of old sprues..another reason to build big aircraft. I never shake the bottles anymore, too much goop gets on the inside of the lid/on the lip of the jar/can't get the bottle open.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had one of those robart paint shakers,used it for 5 minutes,and it died! I took it back to hobbytown where I purchased it,and they said NO REFUND! Needless to say I was really let down. :cry:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The Robart shakers (at least in the past) had a bad rep for breaking down, especially the battery powered ones. They offer the same basic thing both battery and plug in... I think you can send them to Robart for replacement.

I had good luck with my Badger battery powered mixing wand. It did die after perhaps 5 years heavy use. So I got my $10 worth out of it. I need to get another...

Sadly, I can't take returns of electric items in my shop either. I am not a chain or anything... I just don't know what people do to stuff. If it works and then dies... you have to go to the manufacturer. If it just does not work, then I will exchange it etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts