Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know, to shake paint jars? I've been using the copper ones but they corrode easily (note to self - copper/patina finish on Klingon models). I'm thinking using buckshot which are lead. Does lead corrode?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use #8 or #10-32 stainless steel nuts. Almost any small SS hardware could be used.

·
Starship Class
12,120 Posts
I always thought the oil in the paint would keep the BBs from rusting. :confused:

I don't think I use them in bottles of acrylic paint since I would expect them to rust in the water-based paint.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's...kinda the point of the thread. :)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I don't put stuff in the jars... I just use a Badger electric paint stirring "wand". Even iwht a BB or nut inside, many paints just can't be mixed well by stirring, especially enamels.

I have not found an acrylic that I could not mix well with a couple stirs from the back of a paint brush handle. Shaking many acyrlics can make them frothy and bubbly if you hand paint, anyway.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I learned the hard way over time.
Steel BB's and acrylic paints = replacement!

I don't put anything in anymore. I made a paint stirrer from a dollar store drink stirrer. If I don't use that I go old school and use club sandwich style toothpicks!

Max Bryant

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do not believe I have ever had a rust deal going on. I either use it quick enough or the paint gets old and unusable. I have some Zinc plated BB's that I am currently going through.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I believe in "stirred not shaken" I use long pieces of old sprues..another reason to build big aircraft. I never shake the bottles anymore, too much goop gets on the inside of the lid/on the lip of the jar/can't get the bottle open.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had one of those robart paint shakers,used it for 5 minutes,and it died! I took it back to hobbytown where I purchased it,and they said NO REFUND! Needless to say I was really let down. :cry:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The Robart shakers (at least in the past) had a bad rep for breaking down, especially the battery powered ones. They offer the same basic thing both battery and plug in... I think you can send them to Robart for replacement.

I had good luck with my Badger battery powered mixing wand. It did die after perhaps 5 years heavy use. So I got my $10 worth out of it. I need to get another...

Sadly, I can't take returns of electric items in my shop either. I am not a chain or anything... I just don't know what people do to stuff. If it works and then dies... you have to go to the manufacturer. If it just does not work, then I will exchange it etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts