Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what some of you used for the polar lights NCC-1701 / A 1/350 model? If someone could point out a good airbrush to use for this massive model that would be great. I was thinking Paasche but I want some other opinions.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
brand isnt as important as the type of airbrush. i use a paasche h for almost everything, and its a single action airbrush, however mr olsen said that a single actiuon was out of the question, and that only a double action had thneccessary level of control to do the job right. after that, it comes down to which brand/model feels right in your hand (for me, badgers are too small. and i like the feel of the big beefy paasche. as a consequence i have more control with the paasche.)
the upshot of this is youre going to get a lot of reccomendations for models of airbrush that will be in large part useless to you because the folks making the reccomendations dont have your hands.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Recommendations: don't go cheap. Anything less than $100 is a waste of money. Double-action is ideal, of course, but takes more skill to use. I've used a Badger 200 single-action and find it an excellent workhorse of an airbrush. However, I only use double-action now because of the control I can get out of it.

My particular airbrush choices:

Paasche VL (my primary one at work)
Badger 150 (my work back-up, not bad, but not as comfortable for long use)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
agreed with both rougepink (with qualifications) and jwrjr.

the paasche vl and the badger 200 are available for less than $100, and price isnt everything: many high end airbrushes are meant for illustration work, and wouldnt deal with laquers and enamels very well, so they arent good for modeling.

also, dont go to the art supplier for your compressor. you'll pay too much for an underpowered compressor. (same goes for those found at many department stores.) dont try a compressor meant for filling car tires either. go to home depot, lowes, or sears and get a real compressor with a tank. you can get one that will work great for about $150 (or less). it'll have more than enough power, and will be handy around the house too. dont forget a good moisture trap and regulator/pressure gage too.

i own a sears craftsman 1.5 hp with a 3 gallon tank. its capable of putting out 125 psi and i have often used it for 12 hours running. the only disadvantage is that it is somewhat loud. (quiet costs $... and never trade power for quiet.)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys, it will help me make my decesion. I was heading the way of the Paasche VL, I believe it is around 65-75. I also checked out the Iwata Eclipse HP-BS, it is dual action, interal mix, so you wont get those big dots of spray. What do you think about the Iwata Eclipse HP-BS?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Roguepink said:
Anything less than $100 is a waste of money.....
My particular airbrush choices:

Paasche VL (my primary one at work)

I use a Paashe VLS and love it. The control is absolutely amazing.

Just as a side note, both the VL and the VLS can be had for under 100 dollars. And both are EXCELLENT brushes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I heard Mr Olsen used a Passhe A-1, but I can't find it anywhere it seems like it doesnt even exsist. Its probably fairly old, but I was just wondering how it looked and to see its features. Anyway, Tony, Thanks for the info; I have always wondered what the difference was. I will probably stick with the paashe Vl or VLS. Isn't the A-1 just a fitting? Could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
fiercegaming said:
Anyway, Tony, Thanks for the info; I have always wondered what the difference was. I will probably stick with the paashe Vl or VLS. Isn't the A-1 just a fitting? Could be wrong.

No problem :)

The VL and the VLS are identical. The VLS has the swivel fitting for paint jars.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
When you're shopping around for your airbrush, drop by dixieart.com. I have bought many from them over the years and their prices, service and selection can't be beat. They carry all major brands of airbrushes, parts and accessories.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
if memory serves, the A1 was an illustrators airbrush that was very different from most airbrushes, and was a total mean monster to handle, but AT THAT TIME was airbrush that put out the finest line. it was strictly for very experienced airpainters (at the time i encountered it, i had 4 years experience airbrushing and i couldnt make head nor tail of it) it has since been replaced by other brands and models that put out a finer line and are lots easier to handle. forget the A1... you DONT want it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No, I didn't say I did...(I guess it could have been looked at like I did)I just didn't see any paasche that was named the A-1.
Thanks for clarifying razor. It was really bulky huh...when did it first come out, just wondering.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
This past year I switched over to a double action brush. The Iwata CR. Around $70 from dixie art. Before I was using a Wren single action for over 10 years.

Now I am still learning how to use the double action but one thing I have learned is that is also depends on what you expect it to do for you. Meaning, are you looking to do fine line work? etc. So, now you have to take that into consideration when choosing your AB.

This is my take and my take only... if I am only interested in base coating my kit, say spraying the TOS Enterprise grey, then a single action AB will do the job as well as a double.

But if I am trying to shade or need better control, then the double would come into play.

I am more comfortable using my Wren when I am applying a base coat than using the double action AB.

That's me. May not work for you, but it works for me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks star for the tip. Yeah I can see why spraying a base with a single might be better, because you don't have to adjust how much paint is coming out on the fly. I guess it takes a lot of time getting use to. Well I have a few single actions but I just recently got a passche double action VL...I of course will have to pratice with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts