Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JL has announced the 40th Anniversary H Case release and it should be here in November

Whazzup?????????????

This is not an angry post, just some input for you JL planners and staff from a guy who spends money on "adult collectible diecast".

I only need the "H" Release to finish my 40th set. Thankfully they renamed the following releases "Forever 64" so I can quit when I get it and still feel like the set is complete. From what i have seen I will only be picking up the odd casting here and there of those.

I gave it a good shot, and had some fun collecting this with all its wheel and stripe variations. What was missing was any excitement from sharing finds on site with other collectors because virtually every long time JL collector hated this whole series and had no good words for it. The cars look OK in the blister (to me at least---and I am keeping them carded) but posts here have convinced me that they are the quality of the toy grade one dollar Maistos. I wonder also what these blisters will look like in 5 years??? Yellowed??

When there is no back and forth "good find" or "nice collection" comments it really is no fun...JL must take this under consideration and do something differently. The masses have spoken clearly.

It makes no sense to offer ONLY the $2 price point stuff, thereby alienating all of the hard core collectors who have loved JL for its "heavy metal" feel and variety of interesting castings. At least offer BOTH $2 and $5 lines. Sounds like its still not too late to grab these long time collectors back if you do something now.

I know, the ECONOMY! Yes it's bad and money is tight but the present course doesn't seem to have a lot of future to it.

I'd love to hear from an informed source how the company's bottom line has looked as a result of this series...is it working for JL??

I wrapped up over 300 bucks in this venture and had a bit of fun, but its over for me...I don't like where it is headed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Do not fear, neighbor, it is coming out, I think either this up-coming week or the following week. There was another "issue" somewheres with the production or "quality" again, which has delayed this; but rest assure, it will come either this coming week or next--:thumbsup: Thanks, mikeslightnings :wave:

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
That is a nice collection:thumbsup:. Just remember if you enjoyed collecting this series is all that counts. I could never find them on the pegs:confused: and if you added any type of shipping to get them it would push the price if these cheap cars WAY over what they are worth.:( I have been just adding to my collection the cars from the PlayingMantis days when I enjoyed collecting the most.:wave:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw one of the cars from this release on E-Bay a while back. (the WL Eater)

Anyone heard anything new on this being out in store?? Or is there an explanation as to what happened?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
well i said it before and even stated exactly what would happen in a pm to '79tranzamman and it happened. Im referring to the biglot jl boom this past two weeks

·
Registered
915 Posts
Very nice!

I got all of release 1 from an on-line vendor. I bought all the Mustangs, and other Muscle cars I like, that I could find after that.

I know they weren't the $5 quality we all love, but for the castings I liked, I was willing to hunt down them down for $2 each.

Plus, I got to send away for the, IMO, very cool "free" Mustang for a very reasonably expenditure of hard earned cash.

Have three mail-ins and four, Thanks Big Lots, coming to a mailbox near me soon. :)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I've had some issues with the plastic bases myself. This is not so much that the cars have been terrible...they've had a combination of good and bad designs in their attempt to please those who like realism and those who collect more over the top stuff. My collecting has to remain a bit selective. Still, I would've bought a few more if I didn't have to order most of them and pay shipping fees. So I waited for Russ to get other cars I wanted in order to offset those fees a bit. This meant loosing out on some things, and a couple of times it meant that I had to order one of the BWFs from ebay in order to keep my collection complete. Of couse, all that extra cash for cars that were supposed to be a cheaper line didn't always work out for my budget. I've had other issues with LCs distribution and such, but I'm not even going there at this point. I'll continue to buy what I like from the JL line, when I can find it or afford it. But the inconvienience as a whole limits me all the more. I feel things could be handled a bit better overall. And I would certainly like to see a better balance between the plastic and metal bases. But I'm not going to loose too much sleep over it. There's just too much stuff out there to collect. I can't afford to get all of it, so when one company isn't giving me cars to buy, then I can buy the other guys cars and get a nice rounded selection of diecast to play with, even if it isn't always vast. I bought a GL County Roads Fire Chief Crown Vic, City of nash TX today...and I'm plenty thrilled on that score. And having my little diecast fix in the form of a car that is both realistic, and of nice quality makes me feel good right now, and that matters more to me than plastic bases and distribution problems that never seemed to get worked out properly anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts