Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure about anyone else out there but, we are having a helluva time finding ANY 1:64 die cast on the pegs or shelves.
My buddies and I live on Maui. We have reached out to other collectors on the Big Island (Hawaii), Kauai and Oahu. It seems we are all experiencing the same thing.
With the demise of TRU, we are relegated to Target, Walmart, the odd case that (used to) show up at Gamestop, Autozone or O'reilly Auto Parts, and a shipper that would come in from time to time, at Safeway grocery stores. CVS/Longs and Ben Franklin Crafts no longer carry Hot Wheels or Matchbox, since the early part of the pandemic.
The issue is...the pegs have been empty at Target for over 6 WEEKS. During which time, ONE case of HW, ONE case of Matchbox and only ONE case of Majorette has shown up. As well, they were all OLDER cases. Walmart just put out it's first 3 cases in 4 weeks. Three were "K" cases and one was an "L" case. Seriously?!
We have seen however, a couple of cases of HW transporter sets come through at Walmart and they get snapped up right away.
For the most part, the pegs for Johnny Lightning, Greenlight, M2. among others, have been empty since March. Matchbox and Majorette are the only other 1:64 coming in but, as I mentioned, VERY sporadically.
We are very much aware of the broken supply chain in the toy industry--Richard Gottlieb of Global Toy News has a great multi-part series called "The Disruption Report"--but the state of Hawaii can't be the only ones going through this die cast drought. We've also noticed that the prices on the secondary market have gone up....coincidence??
So, our question is, are there any other areas of the world where this is also occurring? USA west coast? Mid-west? East coast? Canada? UK? Europe? South America? Asia?
Also, please let us know if you are NOT experiencing this situation. You are VERY LUCKY!
Thanx!

Administrator
It might not be as dire as you and your friends are experiencing but one of our local DFW Walmarts hasnt had a mainline HW peg restock in several months now and was completely bare of them last week. My fellow collectors are reporting the same thing in their immediate areas. Hobby Lobby on the other hand had the most diecasts on their pegs and shelves that I have ever experienced - on the same day and just a mile or so apart!

I also heard this past weekend that shipping costs have tripled or quadrupeled. For example, a shipping container that used to cost $6k is now over $25k.

And that other diecast production metals are in short supply around the world.

馃

Registered
All sorts
We got nothing. Nothing whatsoever.
A handful of pathetic HW leftovers from late last year dumped in a kitty litter tray and zero Matchboxes, Month, after Month, after Month.
Tesco is now the only MB outlet in the country and they made an absolute shamble out of it.
It must be by design, because you couldn't screw things up so badly if you wanted to.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got nothing. Nothing whatsoever.
A handful of pathetic HW leftovers from late last year dumped in a kitty litter tray and zero Matchboxes, Month, after Month, after Month.
Tesco is now the only MB outlet in the country and they made an absolute shamble out of it.
It must be by design, because you couldn't screw things up so badly if you wanted to.
Very sad to hear.
Looks like it's not just relegated to the U.S.

Registered
I noticed this at the local Walmart in NC January 2020. They have had one shipment since. However just across the SC State Line the Walmart has had six shipments since January 2020. All of the Wally's in a 50 mile radius (Don't know about Charlotte. Don't go there unless I get paid to fight the traffic.) are short as well. No one will say why but be assured it'll be linked back to COVID. There has been some MB releases I've found, as well as, a couple of HWs. But I have to face it. I'm at a saturation point for what's been produced that sparks my interests. And all of this fantasy stuff holds little interest for me; outside of an occasional motor or set of wheels to use on a custom.

Registered
OH ! At Wally's last month, I did see what looked to be a rack of pre-boxed (as in NOT brown boxes with Mattel stamped in blue) cartons, of 40? 40 what? I don't know. You couldn't see what you were buying ! In the South, we call that a "pig 'n the poke." But it cost over $40.00 after tax, to see those pigs. It's been a very long time since I've seen 10 castings a year that I wanted. Let alone 40. Can't help but wonder if this is just bad marketing ? Or Lazy ?
Anyone else see the likes of this ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OH ! At Wally's last month, I did see what looked to be a rack of pre-boxed (as in NOT brown boxes with Mattel stamped in blue) cartons, of 40? 40 what? I don't know. You couldn't see what you were buying ! In the South, we call that a "pig 'n the poke." But it cost over $40.00 after tax, to see those pigs. It's been a very long time since I've seen 10 castings a year that I wanted. Let alone 40. Can't help but wonder if this is just bad marketing ? Or Lazy ?
Anyone else see the likes of this ?
Haven't seen those here. Sounds like it could be just "laziness" on their part. Possibly 40 items that are a mix of a bunch of models from older cases. Wouldn't be surprised if there were models from last year, just so they can clear out stuff from Malaysia.
Maybe someone else out there came across these boxes and opened one up? Let us know what's in there!

Administrator
Haven't seen or heard from anyone about blue boxes yet! 馃

Registered
All sorts
A friend and I did a tour of several Tescos in the Greater Manchester Area yesterday evening and only found empty shelf space. One of them had a tag next to the price tag stating new stock expected 02 September. That was two weeks ago.

Registered
I know it wasn't a 50 pack But they were packaged something like this. Don't know how they were separated in this box. But the box doesn't look big enough to hold 50 carded HWs. ( saved some mfg costs.) Haven't looked to see how these were selling at the local Wallys. Oddly I haven't seen these "offered" at the Wally's in SC. I guess it would be a good starter set, if it were bought for a kid just starting a HWs collection? Or a parent who had a kid's B-Day party coming up? They would make a good hand outs. Evidently they come in at least a couple of different quantities. But $40.00 is the one I saw.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts