Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
755 Posts
John, if I said I was impressed, it would be an understatement. But I am impressed! WOW! That collection, both built and unbuilt, rivals my late fathers. Sadly I have no photographs. You have many more built and displayed than he did. I have to agree with you. Three hundred years is about right. Well done on all the finished models and all so very well displayed. Thank you for sharing it all with us. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reactions: John P

·
Registered
1 Posts
I applaud your orderly treatment of your collection! Lately I've been consoling myself that when it comes to my spaceships that I won't have to find new shelf space, as I consider the ceiling to be fair game for expansion. I was brought up with the monofilament line approach to displaying airplanes in flight. Looks like you are about 80% planes and spacecraft so it doesn't look like they are competing too much with the figures for shelf space.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been thinking about hanging spaceships lately too. There ain't too much shelf space left!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not far behind, Larry!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Before we moved to this house three years ago, I kept my stash in two closets, piles in my craft room, and older models in the attic. I was flabbergasted when I unpacked all these kits at the new house! It seemed to go on and on and ON! I had no idea I had accumulated such a pile of models! Since the move, I've been adding more kits to it as often as financially possible. The photo is about a year old now. I've cleared the nearest shelves in the photo that held old broken kits and have more than a few kits stacked on them now. The shelves across from the stash hold action figures, die-cast Batmobiles, my collection of ray guns, and Model Rocket kits. Top of both shelf units are built-up kits, toys, and related items.

Larry

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Wait! John, where is your wife? Oh no, another senseless divorce due to a hobby compulsion! :p

Serious collection you've got there!

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
What scale are the WWII Aircraft? Did you build them all ? "

I started building 1/48 scale AC in the late '80's. I used them as models for my aviation art. They allowed me to maintain distance and perspective from any angle or viewing length. This was before computers were in every home much less every room and now in our pockets. I asked the scale question because in 1/48, I always felt like they were too large to collect extensive collections in most homes. I'm proof ! ! ! Also more AC were made back then in 1/72 scale. Didn't know that when I started. Once I had built several in 1/48. I felt vested in the scale. I have now have probably 100+, built examples. When my WWII airmen friends passed away that I had worked with. I started die-cast restoration, replication, customizing and collecting. This was about 2003. The thing I took from building the aircraft was.... "Large scale and limited selection aren't conducive to big collections in a limited space." Though I had some 1/43 scale die-cast cars. I knew they would be too large for the main collection. So that's when I decided mainly on 1/64th'ish scale vehicles...1/64th scale is a vague scale. 17 years later, I've once again reached a saturation point. I seem to have at least one example in die-cast that "they" make; that I want. To fill in the blanks that "they" don't make... I've now started carving cars from wood.... in 1/64th'ish scale.

This is an awesome collection you have. I wish mine was that well organized. I'm working on it....

·
Oxidation Genius
31,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of the planes are 1/48, because 1/72 is too small for my eyes and my fumble-fingers. :) But there are quite a few in 1/72 as well, if that's all they came in.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Most of the planes are 1/48, because 1/72 is too small for my eyes and my fumble-fingers. :) But there are quite a few in 1/72 as well, if that's all they came in.
It's funny...... The 1/72nd scale looked large when I was a kid building Airfix. I could have never hung up the four B-17's, three P-51's, three Bf-109's and FW-190's on my side of the bed room using 1/48th. I honestly don't recall 1/48 back when I was a kid.:unsure:

I've been back several times looking at your "stock pile." It's rather overwhelming.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
1/72nd can be large - look at the Revell/Monogram B-52, B-58, and especially the B-36 kits. However, for a WWII fighter, it can be rather small. The Dragon 1/72nd Apollo Saturn V is HUGE!!

Larry

·
Oxidation Genius
31,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's funny...... The 1/72nd scale looked large when I was a kid building Airfix. I could have never hung up the four B-17's, three P-51's, three Bf-109's and FW-190's on my side of the bed room using 1/48th. I honestly don't recall 1/48 back when I was a kid.:unsure:

I've been back several times looking at your "stock pile." It's rather overwhelming.
Oh, 1/48 has always been there. A lot of Aurora's old WWII fighters were 1/48, and their classic WWI planes were too. The best kits in the late 60s/early 70s were Monogram's 1/48 WWII series.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts