Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 year old Dell 4600. As I type my cursor will vanish. I look to the screen and I have missing characters and no cursor. I wiggle the mouse and the cursor reappears. Then I have to go back and retype the missed characters. Any help?

Kevin

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
What application?

Some applications (word) have settings to hide the cursor (mouse?) while you're typing.

Not seeing the characters you type as you hit the keys is an indication that your PC is struggling to keep up.

As typing is a low overhead function, there must be something else running that is sapping all available cpu.

If this is happening when you type in I.E. (like this forum), then I'd suspect you have ad-trojans/spyware at work. This can bog down your PC at the very least. At worst it can be logging your keystrokes and sending information (sensitive stuff like CC numbers you type) to someone without your knowing.

As always, run antivirus and anti-spyware/adware programs (ad aware and spybot are 2 I use).

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm running Windows XP. It only happens when I'm online. There is a dull bell sound and my tool bar sort of dims or blinks. When it goes off characters no longer appear and the cursor vanishes. I have to wiggle the mouse and click on the place I want the cursor to appear. The I resume until it does it again. Probably only a couple of sentences. I didn't notice it until I downloaded Windows service Pack 2. The service pack has the firewall etc. I run Nortons which is current. Also have Earthlink anti-spyware (Spyware Blocker).

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Sounds like there's a bug in the earthlink anti-spyware and/or it's not compatible with XPsp2.

Maybe a pop-up blocker that's malfunctioning.

From I.E click tools then "manage add-ons". This will show what 3rd party applications are working with I.E. (they're called browser helper objects or BHO's). Norton will have one, I bet earthlink does. You may see some others you don't recognize. From this window you can disable these one by one and see if that "fixes" the problem.

If disabling the earthlink software fixes it, then uninstall this stuff. then I'd run a different anti-spyware program and check for lice that earthlink's stuff doesn't clean (ad-aware, spybot).

spybot is a good product and free. It's compatible with xp/ie (latest release) and includes an i.e. "helper" to prevent spyware from functioning while you browse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts