Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be a fun one to see where we Build. This is my Area. Where is yours.....?????

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I just bought a house and am getting my work room set up. Nothing fancy but it will suffice. I need to get a spray booth for my airbrush set up. I have two similar rooms. This one will be my main work room and part of my kit stash, paint and tool stash, etc. The second room will be strictly storage.

Having 9 foot ceilings helps

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Window is where my airbrush spray booth will vent. They slide up or also will angle outwards. It's on the North side so I get light all day but its North light and not as bright as East/West. Better than nothing.

I worked 12 years in an office with no windows. Was kinda funny after a while. I would be in there from 8 AM until 6 PM. You would have no idea what was going on outside.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Window is where my airbrush spray booth will vent. They slide up or also will angle outwards. It's on the North side so I get light all day but its North light and not as bright as East/West. Better than nothing.

I worked 12 years in an office with no windows. Was kinda funny after a while. I would be in there from 8 AM until 6 PM. You would have no idea what was going on outside.
Yep, I've been working in a windowless cubicle for 31 years now.
On bouts of overtime during the winter, arriving at 7:30AM and leaving at 8:30 PM you won't see the sun for days at a time.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yep, I've been working in a windowless cubicle for 31 years now.
On bouts of overtime during the winter, arriving at 7:30AM and leaving at 8:30 PM you won't see the sun for days at a time.

Yeah, same here. I have to take Vitamin D supplements!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hello,

I have a set up in my basement that I am quite happy with. It's kind of a gift to the 10-12 year old I once was who was only limited to a small area in a laundry room and who to often heard from his mother, "Aren't you done with that yet, and can't you put that away!" Oh the scars of youth. :)

Now I have plenty of room and can leave projects as long as I like! :)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Nexus15/IMG_6082.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Nexus15/IMG_6083.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Nexus15/IMG_6088.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is as close as I've got to workbench pics. These were a few years ago. The lair has since been overtaken by styrene to the point that pictures are not possible. At least not without a major reorganization (long overdue).

The first pic is a bit of my desk on the front wall but I was actually focused on the kits.

Second pic is more kits on the side wall. I was mostly into armor at the time.

Third pic is more military on the back wall and the open closet door reveals my car stash (bottom) and various big kits on the upper shelf.

The military is still pretty much the same, the gun safe is gone, the cars have nearly doubled and whole new sections have been created elsewhere (sci fi monsters, Estes rockets and 18 wheelers).

Yeah, that "Hoarders" show may try to do an episode here someday. If it makes it to broadcast though, it will be on "Wildest Police Videos". I'll be the one with the rifle.

Next time I get free I need to do a cleanup. If and when, I'll get some new pics.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Well.since ive changed careers,im no longer at home much so I build on my break time in a kenworth 18 wheeler.seriosly
Speaking of which, I know a guy who works in a weigh-station. Sits there all day waiting for trucks. They let him build on the job.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
In the basement, with the stash.
That is just so great! Every time I see this pic it gets more and more impressive! I have a 2 foot by 3 foot table to work on in my home studio, and a 5X10 screened in area on my balcony to spray paint and thats it...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Me too, Graham, or just working on my knee or a small coffee table so I can watch TV as well. I've got plenty of tools, paint and 'equipment', just no suitable place to set up a work area.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Before I got my house I had a model room in my apartment, but I used a good portion of my table top for my computer and printer. I found I did most of my work on the sofa

·
Registered
651 Posts
Have a work table in the basement (when it's not flooded). Nothing fancy, just two tables, 2 lights and space for my paints. I need to keep it mobile in case of future flooding.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Don't be silly. They said it isn't the dam's fault, so there shouldn't be any more flooding. :freak:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'd think boat dock construction. Built in flotation and a tether so you can pull your floating bench over to the stairs. ;) Hope it never comes to that though.

My last two models were built on the kitchen table due to my allowing the model room to become unusable. They were simple out of box builds though, which didn't need a lot of tools or dremeling so it worked just fine. Kind of old school really.

This discussion has motivated me to work on my hobby room though. I've hauled a lot out so I'd have room to organize and it's coming along. My biggest hurdle (besides "10 lbs of crap in a 5 lb sack") is paint storage. It doesn't take a lot of paints to cover a workbench. I've seen some nice racks but for now, I will get some Sterlite drawer units to house the paint. Long way to go but it's getting better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts