Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you wondering what's happened to Jerry, I recieved a call from him today. :thumbsup:

All is well and he asked me to post a quick note to advise folks that he is temporarily lost in space with 'pute problems and will return soon. :wave:

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Nothing like loosing your computer. After my last one took a dump I picked up one of those little mini Web books as a backup to the new desktop. That way if the big one goes south, I can still log into the HTBB. :) rr

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Bill...glad to here he will be back soon! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Not a bad idea... Mark calendars for Black Friday...

I picked up one of those little mini Web books as a backup to the new desktop. :) rr
Funny dat RR... I just saw that Office Max plans to sell some Acer 10" mini-netbooks for real cheap (supposedly $149) on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Chances are other retailers will follow suit now that this has been leaked. Not awesome 'puting power, but maybe a way to stay connected. nd

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Aaaaaahhh "Black Friday" for that price people will line up for those computer (and most likely there will only be 10 or fewer in the store) before Thursday football game. A deal is a deal but what a price to pay!

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Funny dat RR... I just saw that Office Max plans to sell some Acer 10" mini-netbooks for real cheap (supposedly $149) on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Chances are other retailers will follow suit now that this has been leaked. Not awesome 'puting power, but maybe a way to stay connected. nd
Great price I'm sure. The only problem is that you need to be one of the first ten in line that morning because they only have ten in stock, if that many. :rolleyes: rr

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm not a fan of Acer, would prefer Asus or Samsung, but don't discount those little netbooks for regular office/home productivity and recreational use. Their main issue is screen size but you're trading off screen real estate and computing power for an incredible improvement in size, weight, portability, and battery life. Try using a 15" or 17" notebook/laptop computer on a plane in coach class. Not going to happen. I hate bringing my 17" notebook on trips, it's such a brick.

I've been running Win7 Ultimate on my netbook for a few months and I have zero complaints. Do I try to run games, Photoshop, or Visual Studio on it? No way, the screen is too small. But it's a great digital companion, dozens of gigs of music, fast wireless (and wired Ethernet), snappy Chrome web browser, video, office apps, built-in camera and microphone (hello Skype!), bluetooth, a true 2.5 lb laptop that fits on your lap and runs on battery for 6-9 hours. I also have a 15" and 17" laptops and I'd say that my little netbook could suffice for 85% of the tasks that the larger laptops (the Slabasaurus Rex) are used for. For the most part large laptops stay desk-bound and plugged into the wall 90% (or more) of the time. The netbook spends 90% of its time unplugged and wireless.

My only advice on netbooks is to spend the extra $25 to max out the memory, get one with a hard drive (SSD or spinner) of at least 60 GB if you want to bring along music or videos, and be sure to check out the keyboard ahead of time. Some of the brands have a couple of oddball key placement issues.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm not a fan of Acer, would prefer Asus or Samsung, but don't discount those little netbooks for regular office/home productivity and recreational use. Their main issue is screen size but you're trading off screen real estate and computing power for an incredible improvement in size, weight, portability, and battery life. Try using a 15" or 17" notebook/laptop computer on a plane in coach class. Not going to happen. I hate bringing my 17" notebook on trips, it's such a brick.

I've been running Win7 Ultimate on my netbook for a few months and I have zero complaints. Do I try to run games, Photoshop, or Visual Studio on it? No way, the screen is too small. But it's a great digital companion, dozens of gigs of music, fast wireless (and wired Ethernet), snappy Chrome web browser, video, office apps, built-in camera and microphone (hello Skype!), bluetooth, a true 2.5 lb laptop that fits on your lap and runs on battery for 6-9 hours. I also have a 15" and 17" laptops and I'd say that my little netbook could suffice for 85% of the tasks that the larger laptops (the Slabasaurus Rex) are used for. For the most part large laptops stay desk-bound and plugged into the wall 90% (or more) of the time. The netbook spends 90% of its time unplugged and wireless.

My only advice on netbooks is to spend the extra $25 to max out the memory, get one with a hard drive (SSD or spinner) of at least 60 GB if you want to bring along music or videos, and be sure to check out the keyboard ahead of time. Some of the brands have a couple of oddball key placement issues.
The netbooks will never work for me for any sort of regular office productivity (an excel sheet or visio needs LOTS of room to roam), but they sure are handy for taking on site and doing some work on the CLI, or knocking around at home with the interweb or Skype.

I also have one of these on the way really soon, just slightly larger than a Nintendo DS, and way cranked up on the geek factor. :)

http://openpandora.org/

Man I love toys!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Yeah, if my boss expected my to get my job done on a netbook I would not be a happy camper. As a couch potato computer, the netbook rocks since it does not block the TV like one of my Slabasaurus laptops would. It is huge compared to my iPod Touch. I guess it depends on where you started. I learned programming on a handheld computer with a single line 40 character display. Even crappy old CPM machines and CGA monitors seemed spacious at the time. Now I have dual flat panel monitors at work (in case you haven't noticed, these things are dirt cheap these days) and a 24" iMac at home as my main box. Yeah, I'm lusting after the new 27" iMacs with quad core i5/i7s. PC, Mac, Linux, CE/Wimo, I am not exclusive to any brand.

There you go, bringing another toy to my attention. That reminds me a lot of Paul Allen's FlipStart project that I thought faded into obscurity. I'm waiting for the next Apple tablet computer. If or when it hits, it'll be a game changer.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
PC, Mac, Linux, CE/Wimo, I am not exclusive to any brand.
Yep, me neither.... if it's new and interesting, I want it in my collection. Been playing a LOT with VMWare since getting my VCP and that's opened up a lot of doors to new OS's I don't normally get to mess around with.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I'm not a fan of Acer...
I am. I think they have a great balance of features and affordability. Sure there are better computers, but your going to pay more, often ALOT more.

I have purchased 6 acers in the last 2 years, and am quite happy. A desktop, 2 of the 14 inch laptops, two 15 inch laptops, and a 10 inch netbook. all bought used, 5 from ebay, one from craigslist. didnt pay more than $300 for any of them.

bought them, wiped the bloatware, added free virus ware, some freeware image editing software, open office, and maxed out the RAM. all the laptops have built in webcams. one of the 14 inch laptops is mine, the rest were distributed to family members (3 overseas). the overseas users havent had problems with wireless access, and we use the web cams and built in mics to chat online.

currently looking for another unit (wife has a BIG famliy).

they have worked well for my family.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was thinking about getting a Mini but as of now, I'm thinking I'll get a Dell 15 w/windows 7 to replace my 2 year old 1501. I like having the cd driver and I heard the Mini's touch pad clicker is a pain.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well, I did it. Got a new 'puter on it's way. Many upgrades plus a wireless printer and mouse. All for the same amount I paid two years ago for just the base unit! Yehaw!! The credit department was funky. They made me hang up and call me back to be sure I was the guy at this number. PM me if you want details.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts