Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking back at that big list of promised releases from AW, I wonder IF & WHEN I'll see a Cougar, Torino, or AMX.....Does ANYONE know something????????????????????...Can't help but lose interest here guys! Tom

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
So WHEN? lol

I can't help but agree with Ogarfield....

When will these things be hitting the distributors or retailers? :confused:

The teasing us with small pictures is.....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take his time and get it right?

Do you think it is very hard to develop a line of tiny plastic BODIES?

I mean they all go on the same chssis don't they? They pretty much go in the same box with different paper?

I would say going with already existing bodies painted another color was a very low cost high profit move.

A company that is at all in the black could afford to put out a couple new runs all the time and keep doing it. I don't know what this lack of taking a small risk is all about. Seemingly it would be no confidence in the stuff selling well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I have said all along, HO is the red-headed stepchild of slot cars. Just look how 1/32nd is booming. AW needs to go to some of these swap meets for HO like Richfield, & see the rediculas prices of these bodies, like the long desired Cougar that I don't want to pay 40.00 dollars for with a cracked post & bad paint scuffs......Dash takes chances. I don't buy this "coming from China on the slow boat " stuff. Take our money PLEASE!!!!!!..Just don't make promises you can't keep. I don't treat MY customers ,& thats just what we are, CUSTOMERS..like THAT! Do something to LEAD...not follow.................one mans opinion....Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing , before I get these goody-two-shoes that are just happy with what the have or see on the "web"....How can you even THINK about taking the name Auto World & hope to compare yourself with Mr. Ocsar K's mail order buisness? I have one of his first, & his last catalog , & they each took weeks to see all that was available to me & my HO friends.....I'm sorry, but I , I said I,.....expect BETTER from you...Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I don't expect anything from Tom... I don't think he owes me anything. (Or any other slothead, but that's just my opinion.) I do have a whole boatload of slot cars I wouldn't have if it weren't for PM/JL/RC2/R2, so I figure he's done plenty for me, and anything else is just gravy.

And actually, I do think it can be pretty tough to coordinate a line of little plastic toys being produced a half a world away by people who don't speak your language. But what do I know? I'm just some schlep who plays with toy cars in his basement... :rolleyes:

just call me GOODY, i guess... :wave:

--rick

·
Registered
267 Posts
I do think it can be pretty tough to coordinate a line of little plastic toys being produced a half a world away by people who don't speak your language.

It is done every day from things as small as dots all the way up through things as big as buildings.

It has been going on since there were boats to bring it over here. Hell, it wasn't any problem for Aurora to get things made in Hong Kong a half a century ago, so what would the big deal be these days with CNC and CAD.

Anybody with a small loan could get a Chinese company to knock off near exact copies of almost any name brand product out there. They don't even care about copyrights or trademarks. You want a lot of 2000 Gibson Les Paul copies knocked off - no big deal. There are Chinese factories fighting for your business.

No I would have to say it is a dollar thing, not a logistics thing.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
AMX said:
Or consumer credit couseling - probably more appropriate for slot car related purposes
hahahaha.. that might be a great idea......but I won't go there... :tongue:

·
Registered
282 Posts
ogarfield said:
One more thing , before I get these goody-two-shoes that are just happy with what the have or see on the "web"....How can you even THINK about taking the name Auto World & hope to compare yourself with Mr. Ocsar K's mail order buisness? I have one of his first, & his last catalog , & they each took weeks to see all that was available to me & my HO friends.....I'm sorry, but I , I said I,.....expect BETTER from you...Tom
being in the tool and die buisness, I can say from experience that this stuff takes time. Most often, it's a matter of logistics, and changes to the tooling.
The other thing we have to consider, is the fact that you must "answer to the crowd". Just take a look at the thread regarding new A.W. releases, Holy crap, how is Tom supposed to decide on what to make.
At $40,000 for a mold, you have to know!

Tim Leppert

·
Registered
267 Posts
My buddy who runs a production machine shop saw that 40 grand figure and mentioned to me he could CNC an V-8 engine block out of a solid block of aluminum for less than that figure, so I would tend to think a slave labor Chinese sweat shop could make replacement molds for already in place injection molding equipment for far less than that...try 3 or 5 or less.

I am sure Dash Motorsports didn't pay 40 grand a piece for each of his molds for his 7 or 8 bodies he sells. If so it will be a long road to hoe to break even.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts