Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I figured I'd let you all know that we all returned safely from our trip to Florida.The gameplan was to visit Florida to do some minor repairs and repaint my grandmother's house.....so we could put it up on the market.......as well as pack up my 80 year old grandmother and move her out here to Texas so she can be with us.........mission accomplished. Dad and I literally worked our asses off painting and repairing the house......LOTS of little odd and end repairs to be done......while my wife and mother packed up my grandmother's 28 years of accumilation inside the house.

We did take time to visit Disney World, Cocoa Beach,Daytona Beach, as well as a SWEET slot car shop with 5 slot car tracks in Daytona Beach area.

I also had the pleasure of meeting up with fellow hobbytalk member "Lype Motorsports"........and for me this was one of the highlights of the trip.I enjoyed chatting with Larry.....talking slots,customs and etc. Larry definately has some great resin bodies that I was able to check out....and he has some other bodies that he's working on. I also loaned him my plastic body 80's era Chevy S10 body....which he and several other people looked at and liked very much.....so hopefully soon he'll have that available in resin as well. Larry did give me a couple of his resin bodies to work on......so hopefully I can begin working on those this weekend....... Larry, I've been kicking around ideas for both bodies.....lol...I think you might be surprised :thumbsup:

Larry also showed my some of Roger's slot bodies.....which I really liked alot.....Roger, your bodies are quality man.......nice detail.....so hopefully soon I can snag a few from you.

My parents even had fun at "The Race Place" slot shop in Daytona.....not only was I racing....but my parents got bit with the bug too.....as the place was pretty much filled with local regular slot guys....my dad was especially surprised by this......but both he and my mom bought several JL snap and screw on bodies.......as well as a few parts. I told dad that we could just buy a case or two of JL slots to get him going on some chassis..... so that's the gameplan for him.As for me, after seeing the tracks this place had set up it put the desire in me even more to get my layout built...... AND, my dad wants to lower my routed track from our garage ceiling (we have it suspended by cables because of lack of room) and set it up in his 13' X 30' storage room.........and he also wants to build another track...LOL. Slotting for us may very well be an all out family affair......heck, even my wife bought a JL green VW bug body and had me set it up on a chassis for her to run while we were there :thumbsup:

Luckily, Hurricane Charley didn't have any effect on my grandma's house.........and I suspect the same for Francis. We began calling around on Tuesday to get a 26 foot Uhaul truck to move with........that's where the hell broke loose......as it seems that nearly everyone in Florida wanted to rent a Uhaul truck to move thier stuff with.....in lew of hurricane Francis :eek One Uhaul shop alone told us that he'd had over 300 calls in two days requesting Uhaul trucks......but that he was totally out of them. After many phone calls we finally located a truck in Tallahasse........from our location it was a 10 hour roundtrip.

We got up early on Thursday morning and loaded the truck......and finnished some touch up painting....and then got the hell out of town about noon. We knew we would be ahead of the manditory mass exidous of Florida's beach side...... but the trip was insane to say the least. Rest areas along the freeway looked like theme parks.....people having picnics all over the side of the freeway and in the grasses at the rest stops......not to mention the beyond full parking capacity at the rest areas.......which we didn't dare stop at...LOL. We encountered several miles of bumper to bump stopped traffic.........which cost us hours of time....... and flat pissed me off somtimes...LOL.

After driving for 8 hours we stopped at Crestview Florida....about an hour south of Pensecola.......we felt lucky to even get a hotel room.....as we hit 4 hotels there which were full.......and lastly checked the Holiday Inn....which had two remaining rooms:eek People were simplay hanging out in the panhandle of Florida waiting and watching to see what the storm was going to do.........

I've never been in a situation quite like this before........but it certainly was crazy......but we made it thru ok......I certainly was glad to come home to my house and sleep in my bed......... I did get a bit pissed when I first came home.....because I discovered that my wife's brood of cats had removed the sliding door on the back of my glass display case in the living room (like a jewler's display case) and raised hell in there amongst my vintage Star Wars stuff and vintage baseball cards.........I still haven't had the heart to dig thru the case to assess any damage.....I'm simply dreading this.

Anyhow, that's a rundown of how my trip went....hectic,insane, and crazy...not to mention ALOT of work....but we're back home....and it's all behind us :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL....Oh man!

That sounded great. That's pretty kool that you folks had so much fun with the slots.

Glad the storm didnt mess you round to bad as have been in a few bad ones and thier scary.

Take care,

Matt

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roadrner said:
Here Kitty, Kitty.................................BANG! :eek:

Welcome home! rr

LOL, believe me I've had those thoughts...... Her cats did this once previously.....and destroyed some very rare vintage Star Wars accessories........I had taken precautions like taping the sliding doors shut this time.....yet the ingenious bastards figured out somehow to open the doors :mad:

Life goes on I guess........but my wife was sternly told this time to make sure a few of her cats were put outside....... :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts