Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Great pic sschevyman!

That's a '66 442, and the nose was later changed to a '67 Cutlass/442. It was an exhibition drag car in the late '60s.
Look at the rims.
They used the stock wheels from the Toronado.
They had to use those rims because of the use of the twin Olds Toronado drive-lines...how cool is that!

Not sure, but as part of an exhibition run, the driver may have gotten all 4 wheels into a boiling smoke show! But wieght transfer to the rear outta the hole probably gave the rears enough traction allowing just the fronts to spin. On the other other hand, dual throttles, gear shifts, (and even parachutes) may have allowed the driver certain options for burn outs. Given all that, the car was a real handfull and considering the mechanical dynamics, I don't believe it could have been a wheel stander as some of this is explained in the article in the linc below.
http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/hursthairy.htm

It had twin Toronado drivetrains front and rear, making it all wheel drive!
Considering the year this car was built, the engines where probably 425s.

The Olds Toronado's were front wheel drive, so the builder of this car used the complete drivtrains - 2 engines and 2 transmissions to make for a wild, one of a kind exhibition crowd pleaser!!!

You can see from the pic below that the massive torque from the blown 425 forward engine makes the steering components of the front wheels go toe-in. CrAzY!i!i!i!i!

This older Johnny Lightening is fairly accurate.
The great tampo work really makes this model shine, but the grill-work is all just flat black and really could've been more stock looking and detailed.

Pic stolen from Wyatt's jlcollector.net/:thumbsup:

Only been released 5 times but understandingly so given what the car is. It's limited to what you can do with it I guess.
And ya know what else? The Hairy Oldsmobile has been restored!!!
http://www.hurstolds.com/hairy/

LMX/:wave:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That's a '66 442, and the nose was later changed to a '67 Cutlass/442. It was an exhibition drag car in the late '60s.
Look at the rims.
They used the stock wheels from the Toronado.
They had to use those rims because of the use of the twin Olds Toronado drive-lines...how cool is that!

Not sure, but as part of an exhibition run, the driver may have gotten all 4 wheels into a boiling smoke show! But wieght transfer to the rear outta the hole probably gave the rears enough traction allowing just the fronts to spin. On the other other hand, dual throttles, gear shifts, (and even parachutes) may have allowed the driver certain options for burn outs. Given all that, the car was a real handfull and considering the mechanical dynamics, I don't believe it could have been a wheel stander as some of this is explained in the article in the linc below.
http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/hursthairy.htm

It had twin Toronado drivetrains front and rear, making it all wheel drive!
Considering the year this car was built, the engines where probably 425s.

The Olds Toronado's were front wheel drive, so the builder of this car used the complete drivtrains - 2 engines and 2 transmissions to make for a wild, one of a kind exhibition crowd pleaser!!!

You can see from the pic below that the massive torque from the blown 425 forward engine makes the steering components of the front wheels go toe-in. CrAzY!i!i!i!i!

This older Johnny Lightening is fairly accurate.
The great tampo work really makes this model shine, but the grill-work is all just flat black and really could've been more stock looking and detailed.

Pic stolen from Wyatt's jlcollector.net/:thumbsup:

Only been released 5 times but understandingly so given what the car is. It's limited to what you can do with it I guess.
And ya know what else? The Hairy Oldsmobile has been restored!!!
http://www.hurstolds.com/hairy/

LMX/:wave:
Saw 'Gentleman Joe' run that beast at Englishtown, N.J. when I was a young boy. Thanks for a great flashback.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Great car, great history and great write up. I don't think I would call it a wheel stander, but it's still off the charts! And I agree, JL did a FINE on on that casting...those were the days!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
You can tell from the 1:1 pix that no outter body mods were employed.
Unfortunatley the JL has it's wheel openings way too large.
Sorta neet though that the JL is of it's first incarnation - a '66. You can tell a '66 by the parking lights are inbetween the headights.
The restored example has no parking lights, so it looks like a bumper from a '66 was used - a '67 would have had the parking lights in the bumper.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The 'Hairy Olds' was more of a crowd pleaser than anything else. Its burnouts were an awesome site to behold. Wish I'd known then what I know now. I would've taken my dads Brownie to the races for photos.:confused:
Great car, great history and great write up. I don't think I would call it a wheel stander, but it's still off the charts! And I agree, JL did a FINE on on that casting...those were the days!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
This was made to be more of a wheel spinner than a wheelstander. They built a few different versions of the Hairy Olds because of the wrecks it had frying the tires all the way down the track. I've loved this car since I was a youngin' !!!!

Here's another Olds twin engined tire fryer...

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
You guys with the info are on top of the facts. Thanks for setting the story straight about this legend exhibition drag car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts