Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lifetime Metalhead
1,089 Posts
I have used vinyl wheel dots several years ago. You can use a solder iron or lighter to heat up the vinyl. My choice is a lighter. Hold the lighter up to the dots about 2" to heat them up...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
i spray motor spray on a rag and clean the rim and sidewall of the tire then put the dot on and heat with a iron till its tight...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Wheel dots, a great tuning aid. If you put a similar device on a nascar vehicle think you would have different handling ? You bet you would, good or bad depends on the setup I suppose. Another plus, it keeps all the tire dust off your kingpins if you keep them lubed like I do. Also helps keep the diff clean, again a lot less foam dust in and around the wheel area. Wheel dots really let you see if the front tires are turning too much and scrubbing through the corners. Another plus is it makes the car easier to see. I raced at Marshalls once with a black car, black rims, on the carpet that is essentially black, i simply could not see the car enough and i have 20/20 vision. Solution: yellow wheel dots let you see the car, and OTHERS see your car with less than perfect vision.

In 16 years of competitive racing I have NEVER seen a wheel dot ruin a single run for anybody. I'm sure it has happened somewhere, but how many times have you seen idiotic driving, intentional hacking, or screws, nuts, bolts or other debris that has ruined a drivers day? I see it every week, but some trackowners overlook it on a routine basis, its par for the course.Some track owners actually go so far as to dock a lap off your BEST run of the day, even if some hack drives backwards on the track and you lose a dot, the hacking is overlooked and the guy who loses the dot may as well pack up and go home, and essentially forfiet his entry fee! You could break the track record and still be in the B main because of someone else's stupidity. Absolutely the most stupid, no sense, backward rule I have ever heard of since i have been racing. Hack someone on purpose ; your good to go but lose a dot that has no effect on anyone and hello B-Main. For certain big events I could understand outlawing them because of the potential for disaster, but for weekly club racing? C'Mon there a lot of worse things being done on the track that effect racers runs that are overlooked EVERY week. And oh yeah, they look cool!

·
Lifetime Metalhead
1,089 Posts
The Jet said:
TM racing wheels have a cap that "snaps" in the wheel, very sano :thumbsup: and you won't have the problem of not sticking.

Check my Sig.
Just the reason why I stopped using dots. Used Vinyl ones, then switched to paper, and now I am settling on the wheel caps.. I love them, Only downfall on the caps is not a better variety of colors to choose from.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Mayhem said:
Some track owners actually go so far as to dock a lap off your BEST run of the day,.....Absolutely the most stupid, no sense, backward rule I have ever heard of since i have been racing. Hack someone on purpose ; your good to go but lose a dot that has no effect on anyone and hello B-Main. C'Mon there a lot of worse things being done on the track that effect racers runs that are overlooked EVERY week.
But how do you REALLY feel, Bob? :wave:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
volcomxcore said:
Just the reason why I stopped using dots. Used Vinyl ones, then switched to paper, and now I am settling on the wheel caps.. I love them, Only downfall on the caps is not a better variety of colors to choose from.

matt do as i do and stick the vinyl to the tm cap for that fresh dot look every time out hehehehehehe

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I use to want to use them.. however i tend to true my tires every 1-2 runs. o swap tires.. taking the dots on and off would not only be expensive, but a pain in my butt..

I tried the tm caps when i ran for TM.. I liked them for the look, but i never notcied any handling difference.. Thats why i choose not to run them now..

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
volcomxcore said:
Just get them in white.. Get some rit dye.. I get mine at walmart.. they have a ton of colors.. Boil some water,, then back it down to a simmer, drop in the dye, then drop in the caps. Be carefull not to make it to hot, but hot enough for the dye to soak in... we use to do this for the white associated parts back in the day.. it works great, and might get ya the color you need..

·
Lifetime Metalhead
1,089 Posts
burbs said:
Just get them in white.. Get some rit dye.. I get mine at walmart.. they have a ton of colors.. Boil some water,, then back it down to a simmer, drop in the dye, then drop in the caps. Be carefull not to make it to hot, but hot enough for the dye to soak in... we use to do this for the white associated parts back in the day.. it works great, and might get ya the color you need..
I'll have to try that out. I have never even thought of dying them. I have PLENTY of white caps. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
burbs said:
Also, add salt to the die mixture and parts will color faster with less heat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts