Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been touched on in other threads but I just wanted to see how many of you had problems with the new JLs.

I just opened a Camaro from the Retro series and only 3 wheels are touching the ground. So far I have bought 6 new JLs and 2 of them have had wheel/axle issues, not good as far as I'm concerned. At the price point JLs are at now we should not have issues like this. Personally I've seen very few JLs over the years with this problem and to have a third of the cars I have purchased have this problem I think it needs to be addressed.

Any opinions on this subject?
Please don't tell me to just leave them in the package because that is not how I display my cars.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
This does occur occasionally.
But not often with castings out of blister packs.
A couple that I found this way, I just kept bending the wheel/tire on the axle until they levelled out.
Now castings out of the five and ten packs that's another story.
I have found many with badly bent axles.
Exercise some patience, through trial and error, gradually keep bending on the wheel/tire until the casting hopefully sits relatively level.
Also pull the wheel/tire completely out as far as possible on the axle before bending.
Good luck.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I've only bought 2 new JLs so far and I'm starting to fear taking them out! I guess it's inevitable but I can only comment that if this problem persists, more people are going to happily make the switch to Greenlight or other worthy lines.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I've had that problem, more with hard wheels than real rubber, regularly over the years :mad: With the new ones, I haven't opened any yet, but I can see through the blister that a Talladega I picked up has the left rear wheel smashed up into the wheel well. Guess there's no point in opening that one. I haven't had much luck either trying different techniques to bend the axle down. I've had more success in replacing the entire base, not that THAT should have to happen in order to have a car with 4 on the floor :(

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
60sMetal said:
Speaking of GL - anyone have any negative experiences in their workmanship?
Bought a 2007 Mustang GT500 by greenlight, Quality was ok, hood didnt fit great, one of the rims wasnt atached to the axle very well, but with 5 minutes of work, it was fine. Of course, ive only bought the 1 greenlight so far, so I cant judge them as a line. With any line we are going to have quality issues, I just go with the flow.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
60sMetal said:
I have about 10 GL loose on display. Couple of paint issues here and there. I also have a thumbprint on the inside of a windshield. The 2007 Shelbys have a plastic roof and that does not always seem to fit.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
I know this has been touched on in other threads but I just wanted to see how many of you had problems with the new JLs.

I just opened a Camaro from the Retro series and only 3 wheels are touching the ground. So far I have bought 6 new JLs and 2 of them have had wheel/axle issues, not good as far as I'm concerned. At the price point JLs are at now we should not have issues like this. Personally I've seen very few JLs over the years with this problem and to have a third of the cars I have purchased have this problem I think it needs to be addressed.

Any opinions on this subject?
Please don't tell me to just leave them in the package because that is not how I display my cars.
I had this same issue with the Torino Talladega from the same series but it's the only one so far. It turned out the axle wasnt crimped on the left rear due in part to a poor fit of the axle into its slot.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was at WM today,and was about to buy the '59 cadillac from the classic gold series,and when i looked at it I noticed the windshield didn't look like it fit good. Then I looked under the car and the rear wheel that is against the back of the card was definitely bent. I put that thing back on the pegs right away,no way I'm dropping $4+ on that junk. I ordered one online,hopefully it's better than that...

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
johnz28 said:
for who opens johnny lightning cars are the base still metal ? looking at the new dukes series they look plastic?
I don't know about the Dukes but the others are still metal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just opened the 75 VW Super Beetle and the front axle was not in place, both wheels flopped around. One of the rear wheels was jammed in the wheel well and wouldn't turn at all. Played around with it and no luck.
Ugh!

Tom

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have this problem all the time with the '69/'70 Charger casting; it's never level. I have this happen occasionaly with the '69 Super Bee and '70 GTX/Roadrunner.

·
Registered
704 Posts
60sMetal said:
Out of the three MCG sets I've bought only one car the orange Camaro concept had problems and it had two big chips in the paint on the rear corner where it appears to have been dropped prior to packaging. A little disappointing as now I have to get another.

But - overall the quality and problems have been FAR less than some other brands. The bases on all my cars have been seated evenly, never a problem with an axle and rarely an issue with a wheel that needed to be repositioned on the rim.

I like 'em...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Almost all of my Plastic wheel cars have this problem

O/T: And I opened a 100% Hotwheels car the other day, the thing fell apart.

The rear end was being held together by tape....

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
60sMetal said:
Yep I have with this latest series. Real bad oversprays on areas of detail on three of the first five cars I opened and one hood that did not close all the way. Have not opened the other cars yet to check them.

·
0 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
Opened up a '65 Impala convertible, a '68 442, and a '50 Olds. So far, all perfect. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts