Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of all the slots you own, whats the wierdest, most bizarre or just unique or interesting? Regular production stuff is what this is about, as opposed to customs. Anyone can make a wierd custom. Here's my contribution:

These '79 Mustangs look pretty sharp, if ordinary...

But they're actually transformers. They run on tyco HP-7 chassis and even have glow in the dark parts. They even function as robots, but I think I have to tighten the hinge, since if you let off the throttle, they do a faceplant.

I cant leave out these voltron lions from the Spinout in Space set, either. The chassis are identical (except for the cool, high tech wheel designs and lack of all the electronic resistors, capacitors and other gizmos) to the the Euro-spec Matchbox Powertrack chassis, but are marked LJN toys. What's wierd about that is that if I remember right all the original Voltron figures were made by matchbox back in the day. They run great on tyco track, even though they lack front wheels.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Duntov's Worst Nightmare.

Well this isn't really weird but I consider it of my uglier pieces. This 'Vette hitchhiked in with a body lot a while back. It's a piece that only a mother could love.

The rocker to fender proportion cracks me up, and the screw posts are so long it throws this "queer-vette" into the ORV class.

Other than the obvious design disaster and a doinked rear bumper the body is perfect. It was spared from my knife, for the moment. :devil:

I was also certain that this test shot prototype is an ultra rare, "minty", one of a kind collector piece, from a former Aurora employee's personal collection, so rare in fact that it can't be found in the Beeres Bible! Starting bid @ $1400.00 :tongue:

Anybody out there know anything about my puke green, ugliest 'Vette on the planet?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Funny...as I read the title to this thread, 6 particular slots in my collection came to mind.....and GRJ posted 4 of them, eh!! The Bots do face-plants because there is a thin and very flexable piece of clear plastic (think lexan blister) missing from the bottom of the legs. It would "click" over the top of the can to hold the lil guy upright, heh!

The other 2 cars are the Thundercats Tank (that sits up and begs under hard throttle) and the Mummra tank. I will post pics later.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I have the Mattel Harry Potter Quiditch game set. Sounded like a great deal at $10 on clearance from Toys R Us. I bought 3 and still have the other 2 unopened. A really weird set.
That and the Lifelike skate boards...

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Bill,
If that green thing was mine I'd might consider lowering it first, opening up the wheel wells some and sticking a set of AFX style wheels & silicones on her. Would have to get her closer to looking somewhat proportional if not better at least. :)
Dave

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
roadrner said:
Bill,
If that green thing was mine I'd might consider lowering it first, opening up the wheel wells some and sticking a set of AFX style wheels & silicones on her. Would have to get her closer to looking somewhat proportional if not better at least. :)
Dave
Depends on what you want, a shelf queen or racer. I make racers out of most of the beaters. A "minty" car like that I would spare from the dremel gods.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
joez870 said:
Funny...as I read the title to this thread, 6 particular slots in my collection came to mind.....and GRJ posted 4 of them, eh!! The Bots do face-plants because there is a thin and very flexable piece of clear plastic (think lexan blister) missing from the bottom of the legs. It would "click" over the top of the can to hold the lil guy upright, heh!

The other 2 cars are the Thundercats Tank (that sits up and begs under hard throttle) and the Mummra tank. I will post pics later.

Wierd, neither of mine had the little plastic thingy, and I just scored the white one, while I got the red one like 3 years ago. Ill have to work something up...

How long ago did you score the Thundercats cars? I just got beat out on evilbay for those about a month ago. Hopefully your house wont get broken into and those go missing...........but if it does, it wasnt me!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
hartracerman said:
I got one of those green things [vette?] I kind of remember it having a diecast bottom. Not really shure though
If yours WAS Eldon, then it might have been what they sold as a MatchKit car... a slot car body with a "push car" bottom to make it a toy like a Matchbox or Hot Wheels car. Aurora tried to do that with their Cigarbox and Speedline cars, and Lindberg had Mini Lindys like that. I actually have an Eldon MatchKit Camaro that I got with horrible brown model paint all over it... I stripped it back to blue (molded in metallic blue plastic! :thumbsup: ) and converted it to a slot car. Screwposts had to be relocated... they apparently aren't in the same place as the Eldon slot cars...

--rick

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Hey guys, Thanks for the responses!

Rick, I neglected to mention this sinus infection green 'Vette is molded in white. The screw posts are spaced perfect for the T-jet. The front bumper appears to be an exact replica of Aurora's Mako bumper, but what's left of the rear appears to be two lamp unit.

Dave, I agree! She'd be much improved with a post shave, drop axle chassis, side pipes, and proper wheels and tires tucked under. Her fate is enevitable.

Ed! Shelf Queen? I've got a few but try and keep it to a bare minimum. What I know Aurora slots, let alone other makes and derivitives can be measured in a thimble!

For once I thought I'd err on the side of caution and see if the gang had some dope on this turdmobile before it rolls into the chop shop. The Dremel Gods exert a powerful force 'round here. They're playing my song-

ZZZZZZZZZZZZing!!!!!! :p

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Bill.. that IS and Eldon vette... it sits too high because it's on the wrong chassis.
The Match kit Vettes were dark green, I have both of them, the slot version and the match kit version... also, on the Match kit, there's no back post and the front post is much shorter

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Ha Ha VJ! Looks the the governer called in the last hour. I was just about to give 'er the last rights. I will honor the stay of execution! Thanx.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Clueless near Seattle

Cool Marty. Thank you for the link. I going to start searching for some Eldon chassis and a few spares now. Guess I've still got a little of the collector in me after all. Incurable!

Is there more than one type of Eldon chassis for HO? Which one in their evolution am I looking for? Any pitfalls or warnings I need to know about that is particular to the breed?

Bill

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Bill Hall said:
Cool Marty. Thank you for the link. I going to start searching for some Eldon chassis and a few spares now. Guess I've still got a little of the collector in me after all. Incurable!

Is there more than one type of Eldon chassis for HO? Which one in their evolution am I looking for? Any pitfalls or warnings I need to know about that is particular to the breed?

Bill
I will look at the ones I have and post a pic. I will look at the catalogs I have and see if there sre different ones. I also own and moderate an Eldon slot car Yahoo group. I'll post there and see what answers I get.

Marty

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Here is a section of the 1968 Eldon catalog. It shows the Mako shark (Actually a Corvette Stingray).

I have two Eldon chassis. The main difference between the two is the gears. The early one has worm gear drive, similar to TYCO S. The other is three gear drive, similar to Atlas. Another difference is the wheels. The early one has a three spoke desin and the later on has rings, similar to Aurora T-Jet. As soon as the batteries charge in my camera I will post pics.

Marty

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
top view of the chassis:

The 3 gear chassis is from the Charger. The worm gear is for the Ford GT and Porsche.

BTW - the Charger is more correct then the Aurora 68/69 mixed breed. The Eldon has the correct grill and tail lights for a 1968!

Marty

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Bottom view of chassis:

The pick-up shoes appear to the same. There is no spring. Tension is adjusted by the center "tang".

Marty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts