Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of great stuff here.
I probably should have made it a top 10 list, huh?

The LL M chassis... a winner, no doubt.

Marchon.. a great workhorse that stays cool, even with a diecast body on it...
cheap too. Can be had for 5 - 6 bucks.

AW chassis... anything but the Super III is fine by me.

Matchbox... a surpise choice, but a good one. Sliders deluxe!
Very simular to the Ideal chassis.

And props probably should be paid to the Atlas Zinger, the first inline chassis.
Too bad they used such crappy magnets though. This car should have been faster than it was.

And last but not least, Lionell of the 60's. I have 6 - 7 of these cars and they kick a t-jets butt. These chassis are FAST, especially with some silicones on the rears. Big box motor stuffed into a small, light chassis. The original HO big block!

keep the stories coming!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
1) Wizzard Storm: Simple design, super rugged, fast, infinitely tunable, extremely easy to work on, integrated body mounts, Tyco parts compatible, low cost of ownership, ...

2) Boss Riggen: Closest HO ever came to having a factory produced slot car with performance and handling characteristics of the larger scale slot cars.

3) Aurora A/FX: the TJet evolved to its highest form with body sized to match the rest of the modern HO slot car world. First 'cake car that felt like a real race car out of the package.

4) Tomy AFX Turbo/SRT: Plug and play, and play, and play. Standard rear hubs for easy tire upgrades, standard AFX body mounts allow the chassis to work on a very wide range of bodies.

5) [Tie] Rokar/Life-Like M Chassis and Aurora G-Plus: Two great chassis sharing a common heritage and design philosophy.

The Tomy Super G+ and its close cousin, the BSRT G3, would probably be next on the list and the TJet and its clones not too far back, as are the Tyco 440/X2, and TycoPros....

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
This really is a great thread! Thanks VJ for startin it up. I always like to see what other folks like racing and why. It's all got me thinking.......
What's your favorite body to run on your favorite chassis?

5. Tyco HP7 - '77 Chevy Monte Carlo
Wow! Where did the Monte come from? Nice Car!

-Paul

·
Registered
512 Posts
Top 5

1) Auto World X-Traction
2) Aurora AFX Magnatraction
3) Life Like H chassis
4) Tomy Turbo
5) Original Aurora AFX

Jim Norton
Huntsville, AL

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I'll have a tall stack of assorted flapjacks!! :lol:

1. Aurora Tjet. Precision crafted and durable as heck. Slow enough for my purposes. How many toys from the 60's can you think of could handle that much abuse when used, sit in attics and basements for decades and come back to life with a few drops of oil and a little cleaning. Remember, I'm the oddball of the group. I want slower!
2. AW Tjet. Too fast as is, but with a few $$ worth of Aurora parts fairly drivable.
3. AFX. Well balanced between speed, handling and drivability. Multitude of assorted bodies and parts.
4. Xtraction. Same as above.
5. Non Mag AFX. Squirrley lil sucker that forces you to drive, but still loved.

OK, so I got pancakes on my mind!! I really haven't tried the older Tyco, Bachmann, or Eldon so I can't comment on them. The newer Tyco, Lifelike and the sort are just too fast for my purposes. What pleases me probably won't please you, but that's what makes this hobby great!!! We can all be satisfied with our selections without stepping on each others toes. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and they're all FUN!!! Now, where did I put my Red Oil Syrup????? :wave:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
As for my favorite chassis, I'd have to say ...

the one that runs ...or the one I have parts for!

Love them all! Just depends on my mood as to what I'm gonna run. For the most part I like geared chassis like the T-jet, Lionels and to some degree the AFX pancakes. They have a flywheel effect that still retains some of the original connective tissue to real automobiles.

Give me something that will slide out, has exploitable limits, and doesnt defy gravity.
Inline mag racers are great and I truly appreciate lil' electric rockets; but I do tire of them quickly as they are either in the slot or out thereby lacking those unique whoa I'm sideways in ....whoa I'm sideways out....whew "I made it after all" moments.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
1. AFX G-plus....mo' bang for the buck
2. Magtration either one
3. Tjets or tuffones neat to model and bang with the hammer
4. Atlas.. surprized not to see this one awesome slider hard tires so you can fishtail a whole lap before they bite...
5. Wizards.. cuz i can still see them lol....and Billliam can't

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
D'oh! Good eye, AFXToo....Forgot all about the Riggens. Ive got a handful of Toybaron's repro pieces and they run great. Lots of fun barreling full tilt in the straights, and sliding thru the turns.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Pancakes - hold the syrup

My favorite is the one I am working on or running at the moment... While that is generally true, I still am loyal to my first love, the venerable TJet. She got me into the hobby. Of course, the little darling was never fast enough and I had to pursue any available means for hopping her up. I guess that makes her high maintenance - like my wife and two daughters! This all means my second love was the AFX as she came pre-hopped up realive to any prior TJet variation.

Back in the day, Tyco Pros, Riggens, or other inlines were the mortal foe of my pancake mistress. Now I am older, more tolerant, and appreciate all inlines for their more efficient layout and better speed. However, the TJet and AFX are the two that still get me giddy when I get another one.

:drunk::hat::freak::dude:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tend to move around on “favorites”.

Right now, I tend to reach for my LL “fast trackers” for a bit of quick fun.

Fast enough to be entertaining and lots of magnetic track holding, but will still “de-slot” if you’re not paying attention so you still have to “drive” them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The most fun to drive slot car I ever owned was the Tyco Pro 1st generation Javelin. It would knock other cars off the track with its bulky body as it swung out of the turns and I raced it mainly against AFX non magnatrations. Of course the wipers were another issue. But from a practical standpoint, factoring in the bodies, ease of maintenance, and the actual performance on the track I would have to say aurora AFX magnatraction are my favorite cars to run. They provide adequate challenge to drive but are not too fast to see. There are so many great body designs so it’s hard to name one favorite but I like the shadow can am and Porsche 911 Carrera.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,343 Posts
All time favorites, top five,.......hmmmmmmmm.....let me see.......

1. Tyco 440x2 - I like this car in the pan or narrow chassis. Durable, predictable, and pretty consistent. This car is fun to race in all sorts of configurations, modified, neo, wizzards, push on silicons, or just box stock with the stock tires. The design is so good, even Mattel can copy them.

2. Aurora AFX Magnatraction - To me, these seem to be the most realistic driving cars ever made, much easier to tune than the Tjets, and less finicky. Era correct. I can watch a 70s road race or Nascar race, and duplicate the same moves and slides with a AFX MT. Great bodies. It looks like what you are driving. A wide range of great looking bodies from all sorts of racing that all handle well. The torque band and brakes seem to match the scale. All these elements combine to make the second best chassis ever made.

3. Tomy Turbo - Way too much power for the traction magnets on these. The cars are geared for sheer speed, not handling. Just keeping these cars in the slot is half the fun. These cars run sideways and half turned over all the way around the track. Most people I know don't like running Turbos because it takes so much to get used to, so much top end speed. If your running a 16' straight with 18v, you better let off about half way down, or you'll be on the floor looking for shoes and springs. Momentum is an issue, and quite possibly drafting.

4. Rokar/LifeLike M chassis - One of my first cars when I started getting back into slot cars in '91. Good speed, great tires. I joined a SuperG+ Nascar series at a local track. The track owner just about laughed me out of the building when he saw I wanted to run my Rokar STP #9 with my stock Tyco controller that I had put clips on. No one objected, because nothing could compete with a SuperG+. I ran third in that series(out of 15). I like the fact that the motor magnets are also the traction magnets. The way they are placed couldn't be done better. These cars have a very controllable slide. As LifeLike took over, I found that the cars were getting inconsistent. out of the package one would fly and handle well, one would fly and fly off, one would handle because it wouldn't fly and so on. Still, a great chassis for stock cars or sports cars.

5. Tyco HP7 - Slower than the 440x2, better than the HP2, these chassis were usually cheaper than other cars out there. We used these cars for our dirt car class because with stock tires they slid all over the place. Easy to set up and easy to maintain, the HP7 seemed to even the field and make the real racers stand out. They could be found in discarded race sets, thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales everywhere. For a little kid, probably not the best car to start with, so you could always find em used somewhere. Not so much now.

Honorable Mentions

AW Ultra G Xtraction - This new chassis is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
Mattel HPX2 - Not as good as the 440x2, but I'm glad some are still being produced.
Aurora AFX - Like the Turbos, fast with no traction. These make great drag cars.

That's the line up according to Rich. I think time will show that I'm right.

Vote for me 👍
Rich
12 years later, this still holds true for me...

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Pancakes - hold the syrup

My favorite is the one I am working on or running at the moment... While that is generally true, I still am loyal to my first love, the venerable TJet. She got me into the hobby. Of course, the little darling was never fast enough and I had to pursue any available means for hopping her up. I guess that makes her high maintenance - like my wife and two daughters! This all means my second love was the AFX as she came pre-hopped up realive to any prior TJet variation.

Back in the day, Tyco Pros, Riggens, or other inlines were the mortal foe of my pancake mistress. Now I am older, more tolerant, and appreciate all inlines for their more efficient layout and better speed. However, the TJet and AFX are the two that still get me giddy when I get another one.

:drunk::hat::freak::dude:
I recently returned to the hobby. I have a few of most brands and types of cars. MB even set me up with a pair of G-Jets! The T-Jets are the first ones I put on the track. Life changes. Love of T-jets remains.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts