Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some model master Anthricite metallic gray enamel in the bottle. What is wrong with this paint ? it is very watery & runs off both primed & unprimed white surfaces. It looks almost like it is see thru and no matter how much you try to brush on, it just wont cover the white. Is this some type of special paint i haven't heard about ? why won't it brush on like regular enamel paint ?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I've never actually tried just brushing it on. I've only airbrushed it - with good results.

Is the paint well mixed? Have you tried airbrushing it?

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's one of their semi-transparent paints that's supposed to be used over a basecoat to achieve subtle color variations.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own an airbrush and i think you may be right about transparent because it sure looks like it. i brush it and the darker streaks just move around leaving the white plastic underneath very lightly streaked but not colored. and the white is still there. I mixed and stirred and shook and mixed and it just cannot be mixed any better i am confused with the word Anthricite , it just looks watered down and wont cover completly. the bottle should say so unless that is the meaning of Anthricite .

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
These Model Master hobby enamels for cars are deep, rich contemporary colors specifically selected for today's cars and trucks. Many are semi-transparent pearlescents, and by altering the base coat, a modeler will be able to achieve subtle color variations and tones. ½ ounce bottles.
http://www.ehobbies.com/tes2711.html
Googled the above info...Looks like a luster adding paint...
Mcdee

·
Registered
122 Posts
For airbrushing use 1789, 8824 or 8825C Enamel Airbrushing Thinner
Use the following ratio as a starting point
Gloss: 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner
Flat: 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner
Compressor regulator setting: 16-25 PSI
Enamels require 48 hours to completely cure

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
It is not a transparent paint or a clear coat. It is a metallic, glossy, greyish shade. Testors makes a military Anthricite Grau in their World War II range that is not metallic.

I rarely use Model Master enamels. IMHO the newish formula for them is total junk. Back in the 80s and 90s they had a coarser pigment, but were more opaque, covered better, dried better etc. Their newer revised formula (described as being more airbrushable but also coinciding with ingredient/safety changes) is poor. Most Model Master paints are translucent, syrupy, and do not cover well with a brush. I can't say I have used the stuff in 15 years.

Tamiya Flat Metallic Grey is very similar and covers well.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't call it paint at all. I am taking it back for a refund because it was sold as enamel paint right next to the enamel paint that works like it should. Hobbytown goofed up and i will get an exchange or i better!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Bert, does it say anywhere on the bottle for airbrush use only? Model Masters makes a line of paints in the same style bottles but are for airbrushing only. They come pre-thinned and therefore are much thinner than normal paint.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
It is not one of their airbrush only paints (the Metallizers) its just one of their poor quality, syrupy, sticky, translucent enamels.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I bet you airbrushed it too? Or used a spray can? Those will give a nice finish.

IMHO they are crappy for brush painting... and thats with 35 plus years experience of using most brands of model paints. No "learning curve" will help with their syrupy, translucent, sticky finished colors if you try to brush paint with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts