Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well, according to an employee posting on another JL based site, JL is NOT FOR SALE. That all the listed series were cancelled for the retail stores to have a chance to catch up on their stock.

Here is the exact quote..."There are no plans to sell the brand to anyone. The reason for the program cancellations was do to the fact we actually have more product out. The retailers cannot take every program either and if we do not meet the minimum production runs we cannot move forward with them."

I for one an not sure I follow the logic, as I have only seen new cars hanging in a store location three times in the past six months! And I have been in HUNDREDS! What exactly are they catching up to? But in all fairness to RC2 / LC I wanted to add this official statment to our discussion here on the boards.
Having been part of a large corporation, one thing I learned very well is that statements which get released to the press or announced at a public forum often have very little to do with reality inside the company. PR spin.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Having been part of a large corporation, one thing I learned very well is that statements which get released to the press or announced at a public forum often have very little to do with reality inside the company. PR spin.
True that!:freak:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Well, according to an employee posting on another JL based site, JL is NOT FOR SALE. That all the listed series were cancelled for the retail stores to have a chance to catch up on their stock.

Here is the exact quote..."There are no plans to sell the brand to anyone. The reason for the program cancellations was do to the fact we actually have more product out. The retailers cannot take every program either and if we do not meet the minimum production runs we cannot move forward with them."

I for one an not sure I follow the logic, as I have only seen new cars hanging in a store location three times in the past six months! And I have been in HUNDREDS! What exactly are they catching up to? But in all fairness to RC2 / LC I wanted to add this official statment to our discussion here on the boards.

As I said before, the guys who run JL (Tom Z, formerly Mac R and all the in house folks) have done wonderful things with one of my favorite brands. My problem has not and will not be with the guys at JL at all, for me it's 100% distribution issues. The cars are great when you can get them!

I say "formerly Favorite" because until the distribution stumbles over the last year and a half, they WERE my favorite brand. The availability issues just gave me reason to look elsewhere, and sure enough I found things I liked!

I just wanted to post this quote as it is the very first direct quote I have heard from an RC2 / LC employee. I like having the public debate here on the boards, as I like to see everyone’s take on the overall health of JL. But really I wonder if in today’s economy, the overall health of die-cast in general is more the issue. After all when was the last time you saw a child on the toy car isle? It's all adults looking for chase cars! Where are the growth oppertunities for the hobby?

Russ at Milezone's (whom I respect very much) says that RC2 was the best thing that ever happened to the JL line while I still maintain that RC2 (though having done many good things with the line by hiring Tom Z, Mac R and others) has hurt the success of the brand overall through distribution issues. Time will tell.....
That smells a bit like a smoke screen to me.

I sincerely hope that TL buys JL, RC2 seems to be the Typhoid Mary of the diecast world, watching them wreck his baby must be tearing Tom to pieces.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
:freak:You can't buy what isn't available! That's the logic here...Walmart//nthin new for months..TOYSRUs did get them in for awhile then nothin for about a month...KMart//nothin...Target..nothin...Rite Aid got the 1/24ths once then nothin.....anywhere else ..nothin:drunk:As I said ...you cant buy what you cant find to buy!!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Most of the stores aren't stocking all brands of diecast very well. If TL buys JL back I'll think lines will have to be cut and products streamlined. With rising gas and costs for materials demand will probably drop.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
"The reason for the program cancellations was do to the fact we actually have more product out. The retailers cannot take every program either and if we do not meet the minimum production runs we cannot move forward with them."

Sounds like crap to me. The walmarts here have had nothing new in ages one has 1 JL on the pegs and the other has 3 JLs and it has been that way for months. It is to the point where I don't even bother going there unless I need to pick up something else.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts