Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up with all the Quasi-Prototypes and Super Hunts?

Has anyone else noticed the increase of these Quasi-type of HW'S up for bid? Just last week there was a satin blue Porsche 993 GT2 Super and a zamac version of the latest Mainline Nissan Skyline from the Nightburnrz segment. Cars with different wheels, colors etc not available in stores.

Are these factory made and if so are they must be unauthorized if Mattel is not marketing them?

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Do you mean like the customs that people make themselves, put back in the blister, and list on eBay as "custom Treasure Hunts"? If so, there has always been a sub-market for those wheel swapped cars, or full customs, and are usually listed as such.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
There are two types of "custom hunts". The first kind is where customizers take regular mainline cars, install real riders and then list them as "custom hunts" on ebay. The second kind is where employees in the factories are producing non-authorized custom hunts using the same base car but changing the colors of the paint and tampos/stickers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm talking more about color variations & zamac versions of Supers and other sought after cars. Many of the listings are from overseas so it leads me to believe these are being produced in the factory like 20JK10 mentioned.

I guess my question is this: Will these unauthorized cars be recognized by the Collector Community since they were produced in factory setting or will they be treated more like a custom someone made in their basement?

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
I would say that any variation not officially recognized and released by Mattel, but coming "from the factory" would still be considered a custom. And Mattel would probably just call it thievery.

A few years back there was news that their global toy police were making efforts to quell the "lunchbox crew" who take cars and parts home. But short of strip searching workers, that's hard to do.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah these are commonly known as Factory Customs. They also list them as "unspun prototypes" to drive up the price. However, an official Mattel prototype would have a number stamped on it in some places and it would also not be offered on eBay, lol. They typically show up at conventions in auctions from Mattel directly.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I would say that any variation not officially recognized and released by Mattel, but coming "from the factory" would still be considered a custom. And Mattel would probably just call it thievery.

A few years back there was news that their global toy police were making efforts to quell the "lunchbox crew" who take cars and parts home. But short of strip searching workers, that's hard to do.
I remember Mattel's efforts to try and put a stop to the "Lunchbox Crew".
I worked at a UPS warehouse and checks of everyone's lunchboxes was done on a regular basis.
Someone is at the exit, they ask to open purses and lunch pails and maybe from time to time empty the pockets.
It can be done, it all depends on how much effort is put into it.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I think they're interesting if you can really prove that they were modified behind the scenes at the factory. But, not a fan of how they end up on Ebay with the 5 finger discount.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I agree. Interesting in that it is a "quirk" indirectly from the manufacture.Then again, where does that stop? If a worker decides to put on gold R/Riders instead of chrome, is it nothing more than a custom that most of us can do? Weird stuff.
I think they're interesting if you can really prove that they were modified behind the scenes at the factory. But, not a fan of how they end up on Ebay with the 5 finger discount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts