Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my spendiest slot ever. So how deep do your pockets go? And I mean for the purchase of any ONE car. Buying a huge lot including that one car you've been wanting and paying thousands doesnt count! Here's mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220520538465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I know its pretty small potatoes to you T-Jet guys--I can hear some of you snickering right now--but before this, around $60 was the most Id ever paid for any of mine. Ive been bidding on these for many years now, but always got bid up. This guy wanted $6 to ship, so I bid $94.01, making my total cost a hundred bucks and a penny. Well thats exactly what I paid, and it was totally worth it! On the card, Ive seen these go well north of $200. This is better, since I dont have to break the seal to fire it up and enjoy it the way a slot was meant. And the US-1s are slow enough that even the worst wreck would barely scuff the paint.

As you can see, its about as dead mint as you'll ever find without building a time machine and going back to '85.

I prolly spend WAY too much on slots, just like the rest of us. But there are some positives:

--Ive never ONCE bought any slot on credit. If I dont have the cash I dont buy it.

--I never bid more than what I see the same car going for on a regular basis, and I dont usually get the 'have to have it' mentallity.

--Slots are usually a solid investment. If you stick to those rules, you can always get your money right back. Might lose a couple bucks, might make a few, but it'll all even out. I cant say that about all the nites out at the pub!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm thinkin which isn't too clear right now because I've had a head cold all week but I do remember paying $300.00 and change for A Candy Mustang. I'm not gonna say which one but I do have all three. Actually doubles on the red and green cars. But to me it was a very good deal.
Clyde-0-Mite

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
when i first got back into slots (around 2001-2002), i got all excited about Thunderjets, since i only had AFX/MT/440s as a kid. so the first show i went to, i bought three original Tjets--a yellow XL500, a red Cougar, and a blue Firebird. Paid $40 each. Got home and was annoyed at myself that I could have had JL pullbacks for a couple bucks each and NOS chassis for something like $8 apiece and gotten the same driving experience with similar appearance. i still LOVE finding originals, but i try not to spend over $20 on any one car now... which means i don't do much shopping in the pretty glass cases at the shows, but rather in the same vendors' junk/dollar boxes and at flea markets/yard sales/thrift stores. Takes a lot longer, but that's part of the fun for me...

--rick

·
Registered
931 Posts
Way back when HO Detroit was still making cars I paid $270 for a Road Runner, Olds 442 and a Vega. Took about 14 months to get them, but they were nice cars. A couple of years ago I sold the first two for more than I paid for them and figure the Vega was free. Nobody wants it anyway since AW repoped them.:eek:
hojoe

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Olive t-jet Cobra. Set me back $302. Not too many cars I'd do that for, but many cars in my collection I paid about a buck or two each for 20-30 years ago when they were all over the place. That made it easier to justify.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I paid $250 for an Alan Ginko custom built AFX super II back in 2002, and about $250 for a Dynabrute. $225 for an Aurora Batmobile, MIB. $200 for a Riggen Little read wagon wheelie car.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
$200.00 worth of trades for my Essex. worth every departed car....Thanks Kiwi...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Call me CRAZY! I paid $555.55 for a prototype yellow 55 Chevy Aurora AFX push car. Don't know if it would be worth that much to some people. I saw it as probably the only time I would get a chance in my life to buy it, so I did. My son will probably ebay it in about 20 or 30 years from now. It will be his to do with as he pleases. I hope he gets a good penny for it. LOL By the way its not ever for sale by me. Have fun! Greg:wave:

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
I paid $75.00 for a mint yellow tjet tow truck, but $79.00 for a NEWER white thunder willy's from johnny lightnings first release.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
As long as you walk away happy - that's all that matters. It's also true that if you dollar cost average your total investment over your entire collection you can justify stepping a little bit outside of your comfort zone for the few special pieces that you really need to round out your collection. Keep in mind also that not everyone is driven by the same collecting motivation. I have little interest in vintage TJets even though they have the highest E-Bay value index. I much prefer the Aurora G-Plus cars, foreign issue Tomy and Life-Likes, and most every Tyco open wheel body ever made. My collecting interest is driven by my own fascination, not a collectors guide.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Cant recall ever paying more than 40 bux for a slot car; as I recall anyway. Granted I've spent more on "lots" and my periodic magnum parts orders.

My wife on the other hand, blew 300 + bones on....yes....of all things... an olive Aurora AC Cobra for one of my recent birthdays. :freak:

Bless her heart and god rest her soul...I coulda killed her! :p

Now waisting precious and valuable "time" on slot cars is another topic in itself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Call me CRAZY! I paid $555.55 for a prototype yellow 55 Chevy Aurora AFX push car. Don't know if it would be worth that much to some people. I saw it as probably the only time I would get a chance in my life to buy it, so I did. My son will probably ebay it in about 20 or 30 years from now. It will be his to do with as he pleases. I hope he gets a good penny for it. LOL By the way its not ever for sale by me. Have fun! Greg:wave:
Ahh yes I remember that car listed on the bay. A very nice push car proto. Here is a photo of it.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Most $$$/DM/EUR ever spent on a car...

The by far most expensive car that I ever bought was this blue Faller Opel (dead mint, never seen a track for more than 45 years now):

I paid 250 DM way back then for her (which equals about 125 EUR or 180 $ today). I´d never ever spend that much on a single car again - everytime I pull her out of the collectors case I think about selling, but I doubt if I´d get that much back today...

On the other hand I was able to acquire quite some desirable cars really cheap (blurry auction pics, thrift store finds etc.), which brought back good money after cleaning and/or completing.

By far the coolest deal was this one, that I caught on ePay for a ridiculous amount (probably everybody else thought it was a painted fake body) - turned out to be some kind of holy grail of the otherwise very common Faller Mercedes SL! A collector once offered me 500 EUR (still could bite my butt for refusing that offer...) - still got around 350 EUR when reselling the car on the bay years later:

So in the end I think I didn´t burn a lot of money with my collection (or what´s left of it today). I sold the major part of my vintage Faller stuff over the years and usually re-invested in mold making silicone, resin or traded for NOS chassis for my custom stuff (way more fun for me than pure collecting).

Relaxed greetings from the other side of the pond,

Claus

1 - 20 of 56 Posts