Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the original Redlines, other then they are very pricey. With one-off prototypes not included, what is the holy grail produced Redline?

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I don't know much about the original Redlines, other then they are very pricey. With one-off prototypes not included, what is the holy grail produced Redline?
That would depend on several factors. Are you talking about loose castings or carded? And cars that are a certain color come into play as well.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you are talking about overall by casting, not taking into any factors such as "painted/unpainted roof", short run variation such as "Cheetah base", and color such as the "Enamel White Camaro"... I would say the Superfine Turbine from 1973.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
If you are talking about overall by casting, not taking into any factors such as "painted/unpainted roof", short run variation such as "Cheetah base", and color such as the "Enamel White Camaro"... I would say the Superfine Turbine from 1973.
That is a very good one, those castings are very tough to find and go for a lot of money. Then you'll get collectors who say that the Turbine isn't a true Redline, it didn't come out in that '68-'72 time period and it came out when all the castings were done in enamel and so on.
To me it is a Redline and like I said, a tough one to come across no matter the condition.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That is a very good one, those castings are very tough to find and go for a lot of money. Then you'll get collectors who say that the Turbine isn't a true Redline, it didn't come out in that '68-'72 time period and it came out when all the castings were done in enamel and so on.
To me it is a Redline and like I said, a tough one to come across no matter the condition.
Redlines are redlines. I wouldn't call those collector true collectors :p

I can see some trying to break the redline era down as "Spectraflame Era", but there are exceptions to that rule. Do they also consider the Jack Rabbit special, Pit Crew Car, Snake, and Mongoose not real redlines? What about the enamel versions of the Mark IV and the Heavy Weight Semi cabs?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Redlines are redlines. I wouldn't call those collector true collectors :p

I can see some trying to break the redline era down as "Spectraflame Era", but there are exceptions to that rule. Do they also consider the Jack Rabbit special, Pit Crew Car, Snake, and Mongoose not real redlines? What about the enamel versions of the Mark IV and the Heavy Weight Semi cabs?
Agree on all points.

As far as I knew anything that had red stripes on the tires and was made from '68-77' would be considered a redline.

As far as the rarest one,hard to say.As fas as a "holy grail",I would say that is based on what you like and what you want.Just because something is rare doesn't make it a holy grail.

Superfine Turbine off the top of my head would be one of the least used castings ever.One year if I remember right.

I have a holy grail or two myself as far as my die cast collecting.The few that are hotwheels are cars were made within the last 15 or so years.

My main HW grail is the Legends Cadzilla set.It was way to much when it came out,and I missed out when they were blowing them out at K B Toys.

Mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
I grew up playing with "Redlines" as a 7 year old in '68 and now as a big collector of the "Spectraflame" era, 1968-72, To me there all great, none are "Holy grails" and as far as appreciating, Their all equal castings in my book. Some can be easier to obtain than others due to their pricing, such as the "Olds 442", '"Bye-focal" and so on. The "Olds" would certainly be one of the most expensive redlines from that time period but I would not consider it a "Holy grail" if you had one. To me a Holy grail would be a non regular production car that is very hard to obtain... Due to the subject matter, This is only my opinion... :)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
The 2nd one I am lucky enough to get.;):)

This is my first original redline as an adult collector.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 2nd one I am lucky enough to get.;):)

This is my first original redline as an adult collector.
This, except it would be fourth or fifth RL. The ones I have are a 1970 Snake Dragster, a Custom Continental, and a yellow 1973 280SL. I used to have a custom VW but it got stolen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The a fore mentioned Camaro is my personal favorite. ;)
With that said; I shy away from almost all "highly desirable" redlines.
Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to verify the authenticity of such treasures these days.
Any talented custom or restoration artist can whip one up for you (complete with proper toning) in less than a weeks time.
This holds true with almost any expensive, highly collectible item be it diecast or anything else.
Buyer beware!!!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
How much are the nicer condition ones? I saw a few online that had good paint for about 15$. Is that what they're worth? ( not counting some super rare variation or whatever, just for a common one).

·
Registered
167 Posts
How much are the nicer condition ones? I saw a few online that had good paint for about 15$. Is that what they're worth? ( not counting some super rare variation or whatever, just for a common one).
You ask a "loaded question". It all depends on the exact car being offered for sale.
I've purchased several very nice "common" redlines for $5 or less involving sales that were "face to face" over the years.
If you purchase anything on e-bay and have to pay for shipping you must consider a certain amount of price inflation.
My suggestion is to ONLY purchase redlines in person and from a reputable seller if you want the best possible deal.

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
Nice Redlines Guys Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts