Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ho_addiction
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start this thread to voice my opinion on something and maybe see if anyone else is disgusted by it as well..

Whats the deal with the insane opening bids on slot cars and slot related items such as parts, on eBay lately? I know its always been a problem, but it just seems that lately it has gotten out of hand! At any one time you can go on there and see so many common cars or just pure junk, that the seller wants $9.99, $14.99, $19.99 or more as the opening bid. It just makes me sick! Now obviously I dont bid on anything that I think is too expensive, but the way I see it is, that there are alot of sellers out there that dont know the first thing about slots. They find some at a garage sale, flea market, or maybe an estate auction. Then they look on eBay to see what similar cars are going for and think, "well if that guy is asking that much for his, I should be able to get that for mine too." Stupidity feeds on stupidity is the way I see it. I guess my personal belief is that anything, no matter what it is, is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Since I started selling things on eBay years and years ago, I have always starting my listings at .99 and let the bids determine what its worth. I mean there are alot of things on there that if it were just that little bit cheaper, I'd buy it. Oh and then the shipping charges lately too..OMG dont get me started on that subject!!

I dunno..I just felt the need to get that off my chest! Sorry if this is a repeat of any previous threads.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I can see it your way. But from the seller's point or veiw it could be the economy or other factors forcing higher opening bids. Or the seller is hoping that a new bidder or less educated bidder will agree to the opening bid.

Randy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I agree! The shipping is crazy! One guy wants $8 shipping and a $2 fee. That makes a $20 car, $30! I would have bought if not for that. Every thing I've shipped is like $2. I see a lot of high priced cars that don't sell. When that happens, I chuckle to myself.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I need new Headlight Lenses for my Dodge Caravan. I bought some for the old van off Ebay and they were cheap and good quality, so I looked again for this van.

A lot of the listings sell for $49.99 and $40-48 shipping!
And Ebay promised they were going to crack down on excessive shipping charges???

Those lens only weigh maybe 5 lbs for the pair and can't cost more than $12 to ship anywhere in the lower 48.

And those add on fees are supposed to against the terms aren't they?
Or did they change that since they are forcing everyone to use their "script" i.e. Paypal ?

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
964 Posts
Or did they change that since they are forcing everyone to use their "script" i.e. Paypal ?

Thanks,
Keith
Now that I think about it, the $2 might have been a return fee.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Shipping onlarger parts is crazy.I recently sold a motorcycle fairing shell in the bay that weighed about 3 lbs but was big I guessed on shipping at $20.00 the post office wanted $96.00!! Ups shipped it for $64.00 i learned an expensive lesson.I have had people complain about $3.00 shipping on slots and I buy boxes you can stand on!

·
ho_addiction
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno??

I think the high opening bids are a way to get around the "Buy it Now" fee, or reserve fee.
But see thats just it..Most of these sellers dont have a clue as to the value of them, so where do they get the price to begin with? Its greedy sellers trying to make a buck by overcharging on items they think people will buy is what it comes down to. The sad part is, there are some people out there that will pay it bcz they just dont know any better, so it's never going to stop. I say we all here at HT start our own auction site!! We'll charge half the fees that FleaBay does and we'll still make a ton of money! Plus we could weed out those that are ruining this hobby by praying on the "Value" of slot cars and our "NEED" to have them...every last one of em!! :)

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,714 Posts
"Stupidity feeds on stupidity" sums it up about perfectly.

I've been on the No feeBay diet for about twon months and haven't missed it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Agreed...

Instead of eBay save your money and go to a slot car show
My thoughts exactly, but unfortunately shows are not always convenient or close by to everyone. There is NOTHING like holding a car in your hand in order to check it out. Not to mention the sheer volume of inventory and having that many slot heads in one place at one time. It's like a planetary alignment, lol.... Prices at shows are not always negotiable though. At Bob Beers' shows I see some of the same guys with the same cars show after show... It's almost as if they are more interested in showing a collection rather than selling cars. Funny though, they grumble and moan that show sales are bad, but they won't budge on their prices... not even by a couple bucks!!... :freak: crazy!! Pretty obvious as to why sales are so BRISK at the tables... where guys who are doing deals are cashing in. So far I have a perfect record on ebay... never spent a nickel there. nd

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
There are a number of reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

First, is pure greed. Some sellers see the lower number of listings during the summer months and assume supplies are drying up, when they are only slacking due to the lower demand.

Second, they are ignorant to what value these items have, and can only go by prior sales to base their estimates on, and fail to take condition into account.

Third, they have been raped by ebay fees a few too many times and are trying to get a little of it back.

Fourth, they have been burned by shipping fees and are trying to level things out.

Fifth, they have tried the .99 listing and have gotten burned. I tried that .99 cent stuff last summer, and during this time of year it's a gamble. The buyer numbers aren't always there to support the risk. I learned this last year when I listed some items at low starting prices and didn't get the interest I was anticipating. Those items sold for less than half what I paid for them during the peak season.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
And Ebay promised they were going to crack down on excessive shipping charges???

Very simple. You must use Paypal and Paypal collects a percentage of every transaction; assuming you have a premium account, which you must have in order to do business on eBay. Therefore, the more the seller charges for shipping, the more Paypal gets. So, why would eBay care if you charge too much for shipping? Instead of getting their "cut" on the eBay side (based on a higher bid), they get it on the Paypal side (based on a higher shipping charge). They ain't dumb. Greedy maybe, but not dumb.

I have not sold on eBay in years and have no intention of going back. If you take the time to do the math, you will find out that you cannot make money selling small ticket items on eBay. Figure in the fees for those items that sell, plus the fess for those that don't, and I would venture to say that very few people come out ahead. Factor in the time it takes you to create a listing, invoice things, package them up and mail them, and the "profit per effort" probably goes negative.

For myself, I can't see going through all the effort required to list a small ticket item for the possibility of only getting a couple dollars total. To list items for under $50, considering your investment, time and fees, just isn't worth it for me. Maybe for some it is worth the time and that's good because I'll still buy off eBay once in a while.

Joe

·
Registered
793 Posts
eBay has been waiving insertion fees on 5 listings per month for sellers since June. I've listed a few big ticket items at prices I was comfortable with and it didn't cost me a dime unless they sold. So, that may be the reason for some of the higher than usual starting prices.

Having sold a few items at ~ $300 ea, I can say that between the final value, PayPal, and shipping fees, it is not an easy task to make $$ unless you paid almost nothing for it. I figured I might make a few bucks selling something that I paid $225 for at $265. I was wrong, I may have broke even at best.

·
ho_addiction
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah they have a way of making it "seem" like you're getting a savings by waiving the insertion fees like that, but we all know theyre not losing any money by doing it and the higher something sells for, the higher the final value fee is. By saying that sellers raise the price to make up for the fees is wrong in my opinion too. Ebay and paypal are going to get their money no matter what. With their hidden fees on everything now~a~days and the fact that you have to use paypal so they can get some cut out of you as well. Even fleabays $.15 charge for an additional picture..where does it stop? Its just rediculous and the more I think about it, the more angry I become. Remember when eBay use to be fun? Ok, I dont either, but remember when it use to be cheap? Ok, I dont remember that either! I guess I may have been dreaming of a perfect world. One that hasnt been corrupted by greed on every level. Maybe the thing to do is just use eBay as a device to purchase items instead of selling them and let other sellers pay the fees. I could always sell stuff to you wonderful folks on here right?

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Quality and Quanity....buy or sell....it's all peaches and pears to me...

rdm95,

I have tradded and bought things here on HT. What I don't want to see is someone always trying to ask me to buy thier wares directly all the time. If it is posted in the proper sell and trade forum here that is Perfect!

It is a fact that we need "Stuff" to make "Stuff" so, buying and selling is a Huge Part of this hobby.If anyone tries to badger me all the time into buying stuff then they will soon get the...nah, nah, nah I can't here you routine from me.

You can easily go broke doing this hobby rather quickly. Unless you have lots and lots of money. Bill Hall and others here have shown me the way to make stuff out of almost nothing to save a buck but, sometimes custom resin bodies, rims, chassis, decals, ect, ect, ect. are needed. It is a tight wire act for sure and I fall off alot. OUCH that hurt! :cry:

Bob...It would be easier for me to just have lots of money...zilla

1 - 17 of 17 Posts