Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does it seem that like the new MM's are not being released on time? I live in a town with 2 K-marts, 2 Targets, 5 Wal-marts and a Hobby Lobby. Only Hobby Lobby is close to the MM release schedule. But they are two months behind. And they are getting worse. I know the law of supply and demand counts but around here, the demand is not high. I refuse to pay double off of ebay just to stay current with the MM releases. I guess I don't understand why the department stores can't see that the old stuff isn't selling and just put out the new stuff. The manager of the toy dept. at the Wal-mart closest to me said he has a "ton" of MM stock in back but won't put it out until the items on the shelf sells. No real point to my post, just ranting a little. Thanks for the ear.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Speaking from experience

plankowner said:
The manager of the toy dept. at the Wal-mart closest to me said he has a "ton" of MM stock in back but won't put it out until the items on the shelf sells.
And he will continue to get new stock until he will have a pile in the back a mile high, while the MM's on the shelf will continue to get dusty. Finally, his $6.50/hr less-than-average-thinking will kick in and he'll have to put out more, but only to knock his pile down in the back (not really giving a sh** what the customer wants). Problem is, is that he will take from the top of his pile, which will be releases newer than the bottom (that came in a year ago). The releases that are due now, you won't see in a year and a half from now.

I'll never understand that way of selling. :drunk:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I am not the only one faced with this type of "sales" mentallity. Recently at the same W-M, the manager had a "New Case" opening of Hot Wheels. Each Saturday in August, he had ten unopened cases of Hotwheels brought out and allowed the customers to open them on a first come first serve basis. After four Saturdays of opening the SAME cases, I have a handful of the same treasure hunt and nothing else to show for being there. "Next week I will have newer cases, I promise." Not. Turns out it was just over-stock he needed to move out of the back.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Dave_anto364 said:
Buy the old, hold on to them for a week and then take them back! Novel approach.
I've done that at Auto Zone. A week isn't enough time. They didn't get any new stuff for over a month. Then I never ended up returning the stuff I bought. I gave a lot of them to kids.

I bought every MM they had on their pegs (about 30 cars). They had been hanging there for about a month. And like I said it took over a month for them to restock. But they restocked good the Stars and Stripes with the Mustang & Nomad. I got the whole set the day they put them out. And they put out the Military ones and I bought a couple. This was about a year ago.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
plankowner said:
So I am not the only one faced with this type of "sales" mentallity.
Nope.

I finally saw the lime green 1:18 Nova at our local WM a few weeks ago.
When was that released? Well over a year and a half ago? Nutz.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been trying to get in good with a couple of the stockers at the Hobby Lobby. On a good day, one of them will drop a case of new stuff in the aisle and let me stock the shelf. Occasionally I get the newer stuff that way. Lately it's been all the import stuff and the monster garage cars. I favor the originals more than any of the other stuff. The last time I "stocked" (about 3 weeks ago) I opened a case of the white tire grocery getters. I picked up a set and put the other set up high in the back. It was still there a couple of days ago when I went looking for the newest set. IT'S STILL NOT IN!?!?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what i've heard MM was having trouble with whoever was doing their work,the chrome plating was terrible and they were getting tons of complaints about the overall finished product.Thus leading them to switch to a new production company,that's what i was told from the company i order all of my W.C.C.s. I'm still waiting on an order from July, but the company i order from is very good on keeping every1 informed.Sorry for the long reply but maybe this will answer your ?s.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Often wondered where the new stock was....
always ....lots of "New" stocked on shelves that I was looking for the previous year.. :confused:
gave up getting excited over the new releases and now just pick up the MM's that interest me when I do see them on the pegs.. :)
bb

·
Registered
95 Posts
all we are seeing up here right now is MMs police. WM and toys 'r' us suck, if you want zebra striped jeeps T-r-U is the place to go. I know it sounds like I`m bitching. ok I am.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
gremlin said:
all we are seeing up here right now is MMs police. WM and toys 'r' us suck, if you want zebra striped jeeps T-r-U is the place to go. I know it sounds like I`m bitching. ok I am.
That's all I see down here.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I see lots of the MM Police and SS Tuners. Even found fresh batch of Cartoons set C & D at Wally World and they just put out the next wave of Vote America although the election was almost a month ago.

I'm hoping to find a set of those '71 Camaros someday.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I asked the young guy stocking the shelves at WM today if they had anymore MMs outback and he told me what you see is all they have. I think he was lying to me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The new cars just keep coming to my house ... I order on~line, & pre~order what I want. Now I know many of You don't wish to pay those prices, and who wants to pay for shipping . . . but I find it much cheaper by the time ya figure all the wasted trips to different stores, the gas, the traffic, the time it takes out of Your day ... only to always come up empty handed !

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I don't mind the prices of online shopping, its just that when I order online its too easy or something. I enjoy getting out and seeing whats available and buying what I like. I wish I could actually see whats out though. The stuff I know is available never shows up around here until its so old. Usually I look and look and ask, then when I finally give in to ebay or online ordering the stuff I was looking for shows up 9 months to a year later in the stores around here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That makes perfect sense why didn`t I think of that, espcially this time of year. thanks much, I think I will try it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I talked with some folks at Hobby Lobby. They made it sound like the person responsible for the hobby cars area has to make an order to receive them. I think the person at the store near me has slacked of on ordering because nothing new has come in for awhile and the stock on hand has been slowly dwindling down...or maybe they're just trying to rotate stuff out????

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
They just put out some Stars and Stripes at the Auto Zone I go to. I saw the Anglia, Mustang, Nomad, two different Willys, T-bird and some others. They put out stuff that came out over a year ago. What gives?

I also saw and picked up a '96 Impala and a Corvair.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Cool !!!

My Wife Worked With Auto Zone 5 Years, But No Longer Does . . . It Was At One Time A Very Good Place To Find The New Stuff ... Don't See Much There These Days.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts