Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hard dirt or a mix with clay? Tire selection greatly depends on the type of dirt. More clay, slicks made from pink tapers. One of our indoor tracks I have found holeshot M3 work great. Up front a small pin rather than ribs is my preference. Hard dirt outdoors King pin or step pin M3. Unfortunately you have to experiment.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hard loose dirt the King or Step pin M3 but the M3 is soft compound and wear quicker. Hard and smooth but not clay based the holeshot would be a good all around choice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you don't want to experiment with alot of different tires, your best bet is to use what others in your class are using at your track.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If you don't want to experiment with alot of different tires, your best bet is to use what others in your class are using at your track.
Right there is your best bet! check with the track locals they will be able to point you in the right direction.Keep in mind that some tracks are 'picky' about tire, or compound, depending on the daily conditions(dry, wet,grooved, rough , smooth, temp.) so make sure to ask the locals what you will need for all possible conditions.You may need 3-4 different pair just to have all your bases covered on race day.
Good example is one track i run at in the AM it's holeshots with zip grip/ pink tapers in front,by round 2 holeshots-no grip/m3 4 ribs, round3 doubledees/ groovy's, mains doubledees/ groovy's or rounders. All that is just to keep up with the track as track conditions, and temps change throughout the day.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I just use the stock foams that come with the tires. Ask your fellow racers if they have tried different combos. For my skill level I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Holeshots are generally a good chioce. Also consider the Suburbs on all 4 wheels. A lot of guys around here are running those on the front and rear on hard, slick tracks to avoid having to dremel down a perfectly good set of tires!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ty, If you are talking about the track across from Adam's at the fair grounds you will want proline step pins or bowties, It has been my expeirience over the years that the track dries out quickly and although it may seem hard packed it usually has alot of loose stuff on it. When I used to race there I spent my race day water and raking the track, they really didnt seem to care about track maintinence at all. Now I hope f Adam takes it over he will have a crew on race day to maintain the track. If that is the case the bowties may work but most likely it is and always has been a step pin track.
You do not want a small pin on that track, I gaurantee holeshots wont work, The ribs up front should be fine as well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ty, If you are talking about the track across from Adam's at the fair grounds you will want proline step pins or bowties, It has been my expeirience over the years that the track dries out quickly and although it may seem hard packed it usually has alot of loose stuff on it. When I used to race there I spent my race day water and raking the track, they really didnt seem to care about track maintinence at all. Now I hope f Adam takes it over he will have a crew on race day to maintain the track. If that is the case the bowties may work but most likely it is and always has been a step pin track.
You do not want a small pin on that track, I gaurantee holeshots wont work, The ribs up front should be fine as well.
ya adam did take it over and i do the track matainance. I wasn't talking about Adams track i was talking about proving grounds. thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
ya adam did take it over and i do the track matainance. I wasn't talking about Adams track i was talking about proving grounds. thanks for the suggestion though.
Holeshots and Barcodes :)

Holeshots when the track is looser (after they redo it) Gold Barcodes after it gets packed down good.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
everybody who races there, pitches in for raking and maintaining the track, guys are pretty good about helping out, heck ive even been known to pick up a rake or two:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts