Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I used a combination of layers of green over a grey primer base. This is the result :

I know others sometimes use actual sink tones, but I prefer green.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
WARNING: Long-term exposure to paint and glue fumes may cause dyslexia!

I know others sometimes use actual sink tones, but I prefer green.
Well, sinks come in all sorts of decorator colors these days!

Does anyone know what color makeup Jack Pierce used for the original black-and-white Frankenstein?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The color used on Karloff is green grease paint, which was used so that the monster would appear to have pale skin in the black and white film. So, if you what to be accurate to the actual color used, then a light-medium green would work, if you what to be accurate to what they wanted the monster to look like on screen than a very pale grayish flesh color would do. If you can get your hands on the Frankenstein Legacy Collection DVD set, one of the extra features shows a bust of Karloff as the monster in the green makeup. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Does anyone know what color makeup Jack Pierce used for the original black-and-white Frankenstein?
there are color "home movies" of karloff in the makeup from "son of frankenstein"
the color is a very pale green. the mass produced 1:1 scale bust by miles teves (manufactured by cine-arts) was very accurate, skin color wise.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you want to go the green route...

I would start with a color called "Sky" which was a WWII British camouflage color applied to the lower surfaces of aircraft. It has a nice light gray green color that looks just about right. On my Glen Strange Frankenstein I used a base coat of Polly Scale Sky and then added a dark green wash followed by some lighter green dry brushed highlights. Here is the result:

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
The color used on Karloff is green grease paint, which was used so that the monster would appear to have pale skin in the black and white film. So, if you what to be accurate to the actual color used, then a light-medium green would work, if you what to be accurate to what they wanted the monster to look like on screen than a very pale grayish flesh color would do.
And if you want to go back to the source, here's how Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley described Frankenstein's creation in her novel:

"His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips."

·
Registered
8,132 Posts

I used a mix of flesh and greenish paints here. In real life the model is a bit less green and more grey. I wanted something sort of traditional, without the kermit the frog look.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,277 Posts
I guess the best way to come up with a "correct" color would be to ask what color a real dead body is (after the appropriate amount of time in the ground before grave-robbing and reanimating).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I guess the best way to come up with a "correct" color would be to ask what color a real dead body is (after the appropriate amount of time in the ground before grave-robbing and reanimating).
That's what I was thinking John - sorta a blue/grey pallor.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I would start with a color called "Sky" which was a WWII British camouflage color applied to the lower surfaces of aircraft. It has a nice light gray green color that looks just about right. On my Glen Strange Frankenstein I used a base coat of Polly Scale Sky and then added a dark green wash followed by some lighter green dry brushed highlights. Here is the result:
This is one of the first resin kits I ever built!! Great work on it!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts