Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time again for one of these yet?

Currently (the ones I'm actively working on):

The Hunchback, obviously, but that's taking a back seat while I recharge my batteries for it and order some Aves Apoxie Clay. The last updates won't be posted until I finish the nameplate. Also I need to practice tying knots for the ropes.

The Forgotten Prisoner. Cleaning up the body, tweaking the details. Have removed the barred section and am considering what to do with the area behind the barred gate.

Captain America. Almost ready for painting. Need to Dremel in the details at seams where the base meets the wall, and where detail was lost on Cappy's chainmail. Also attempting to make a splash piece - this was a Comic Scenes issue, no splash or nameplate.

Dick Tracy. Just started. Have removed the hands and cuffs from the coat to sink them into each other (don't know how else to phrase that). Will fill in the huge gap between the back of the waist and the inside of the coat. Hollowed out the tin cans in the garbage can, will use putty to finish making their interiors. Used a mini drill bit to open the bottle and the gun barrel. Will replace the window with new frames and clear sheet plastic. This is a cool kit - smaller kits like this are very cool, I can't imaging why anyone wanted it bigger!

King Kong, Dark Horse kit sculpted by Randy Bowen. Had trouble with the base being bowed in and the feet and legs having angled in the wrong directions from where they should mmet the base - this is heavy, thick vinyl that just won't bend back far enough when heated! Plus the Ann Darrow took heat damage, looks like something out of a Poe story. And her hair defies gravity. Had to cut the feet from the legs to glue them in place, and temporarily remove the rocks in back of the base to repair the ankles. Doing that now, haven't tried fixing Ann yet. The face is painted already, as the upraised arm would have gotten in the way once atached.

Three original projects: two I won't name, the third is a conversion of OddJob into Doctor Moreau. Still trying to determine proportions for the base, and may have to cheat on scale as doing it true to scale isn't looking right yet. Makes the figure look too small.

Rat Fink. Supposed to be done for someone else, and I'm way behind even though he said take as long as I need. I got seriously stalled by unforeseen events a while back. Anyone who has done this kit knows how simplistic it is...well, it's been hacked to bits and there's not a single detail left unaltered on it.

Kits lined up:
these are kits I'm doing preliminary work on, gathering references, cleaning up for restoration, waiting to be finished, or just am just plain looking over and making decisions about.

The Three Stooges - still don't know whether to do them in color or black and white.
The Phantom of the Opera, Aurora, to be done in b&w.
Spock and the Snakes
Aurora Viking ship
Godzilla, Aurora, b&w
The Creature, PL re-issue of Aurora, b&w
Space 1999 Eagle, MPC
Cylon Raider, the old kit from whoever it was
Neanderthal Man from Lifelike (Pyro)
Bionic Breakout, one of the Six Million Dollar Man kits from Fundimensions.

There's alot more I'm aching to work on that have to wait for one reason or another (like kits that I want to use Alclads on: among others, I want to do R2 and 3PO with Alclads, the ufo from the tv show UFO, restoring the wheels on Supervan, etc.). After two years of practically no modeling, I've suddently got the bug again just the past two months, and am doing better work than I ever did before. Funny how your skills can improve when you haven't been practicing them! Have yet to see if I've gotten rusty at painting, though.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I wasn't going to post this yet because the project isn't along very far but since this is a "workbench" thread I'll put a preview here (courtesy, once again, of my mother's website since MSN lost my website after they also lost my password ). Four photos starting with this one (hit "next" to see the subsequent three photos):

http://groups.msn.com/Margaret6547/miscellaneous.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=30

It's my own design for the new Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV) proposed by NASA. It's primarily intended to keep up my building skills.

Photo 1) Turning the external rocket nozzle. This is an improvement over my past designs because this one incorporates those cool looking exterior ribs.

Photo 2) The nozzle turned around in order to machine out the interior. It's drilled out then bored out. The boring can only do so much because of the small size. In the second major improvement to previous nozzle design, I used steel burrs on a rotary tool to clean out the interior while the nozzle was spinning on the lathe. This resulted in thinner walls and a better finish.

Photo 3) Parts done on the Taig lathe. Nozzle, hatch, docking collar (with a plastic hatch from the spares box). That big black thing is a section of ABS pipe for the service module that was trued on the lathe (the extruded pipe isn't round from the factory).

Photo 4) The only wood component. This will be the crew capsule.

This is a tiny project by my standards. It will be 1/72 scale. 6" long and 2" in diameter. The small size was dictated by the 5/8" aluminum barstock I used for the rocket nozzle.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
1. PL's L.I.S. Cyclops w/Chariot: pre-assemblies together, starting on the putty.
2. AMT's Monkeemobile: Engine and tires completed, body ready for paint.
3. PL's Tyrannosaurus: Just started, mouth assembled and puttied.
4. Heller's Bart Simpson: Head assembled, waiting for putty.
5. ToyBiz Spiderman: Just a little putty work left to do on figure, then whole kit ready for painting.

I had had a really bad case of modeler's block, always the best of intentions to get things worked on, but not being able to actually do anything for a couple of months. Finally broke through last week and completed a '28 Gangbusters Lincoln, a '30 Ford Coupe, and from start to finish Munster's Koach. It feels great to be finally back to modeling!

Wayne

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
DAMN DREAMER, You have that Spock/Snake Kit? you Bustard! lol Hey That Dick Tracy Kit turns out to be one of the Most Satisfiing Kits I EVER had the Pleasure of Building.Granted it's kinda small I wish PL had "Up Sized" him, Then it would be my Favorite!
Anyhoo on the La Masea' right now: I'm currently trying to figure out how the heck to attach the Material to Simulate a Cape on a HUGE Screamin' Vinyl Lon Chaney London After Midnight I started this on the Very Day that was (in 1931 when Chaney Passed away Aug 26th) I want it to be Special.Also I've Assembled and Primed another Screamin' piece,This is "Dr. Chanard" from the "Hellraiser" Films, I got these from a guy who sells ALL the Screamin Models you could ever want CHEAP! the only catch is ya' gotta take them "As Is" in this case that means No Box ,No instructions and most importantly No Pieces that are NOT Vinyl! These ARE NOT RECASTS but the guy Got a deal from Screamin' when they went OOP he Obtained the Overstock but sadly these Kits had'nt had the Resin or metal Pieces added yet. So I have an Ash Kit but No Saw Blade or in the Case of Dr. Chanard I got the Kit Minus the Worm like Apendages that come from his hands. I 've Spoken with a few guys (Including the Former Owner of Screamin' Dan Fay!) in an Attempt to obtain info to help in my trying to fabricate these pieces from Scratch. Sometimes this "Researching is the Most Fun Part of the Building Process! Case in Point; 2 years ago I needed simalar help with the Screamin' "Female Cenobite" During my research I ran across the Work of a Master Craftsman (Neal) And NOW I proud to be able to call this Guy a Friend! I've Learned through my Friendship with This Guy that sometimes you can Scratch Build Parts for your Models that are actually an Improvement on the Orignals! Sorry to Ramble So yeah I'm Workin on the Dr. Chanard he's needing the Worm things and I think I'm ready to Attempt my own Scratch Build! and Lastly I have a Spot cleared off on my Table just waiting for the arrival of my Retro-Resin Aurora Dr. Jekyll! Gene Tells me it was sent out on Aug 23rd with USPS so god knows when he'll be makin' his House-Call. lol I 'm really lookin' forward to this one! but I'll save anymore for the Next one of these Threads lol Sorry to go on so long but the Kids FINALLY Went back to School! whew and I 'm ready for some conversation with some People over Eight Years Old!! lolThanks
JOHN/LONFAN

****UPDATE****
Since writting this Morning Dr. Jekyll has made his House Call! So now my Workbench has changed lol MAN this is one Clean Casting I would almost Swear this is a PL Repop! lol I would Recommend this to Anybody who wants to finish their Collection!
LONFAN

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Resin Ranger Speedboat Shuttle, starting clean-up
POTA Cornelius, primed
POTA Zira, puttying
#9 NASCAR for my daughter, decals to go

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
PL NX-01 Designing custom Photo-etch for windows and interior details

Lunar Models Proteus (waiting for Wilco's also) Designing custom Photo-etch for FLAT windows frames, back lit panels, and other details.

PL Jupiter 2 Designing custom Photo-etch for backlit walls, panels, and landing gear interiors.

waiting in the wings... Wilco Icarus, 1/96 Saturn V with collection of add-ons

Waiting with antici-pation for PL Refit and Captain Cardboard Mercury

Almost finsihed with original papercraft kit designs of Lunar Module and Mercury spacecraft, both highly detailed with complete interiors... just have to make instructions and layout pages.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
MPC's R2 and 3PO.

R2 is a dang good kit with only a couple major problems, while 3PO SUCKS!
I'm trying hard but 3PO is going to look like CRAP compared to R2.

I reworked 3P0's face, head and custom wire torsol but there is so much he still needs and I only have four more weeks to finish him.

Aside from the Alclad II 'pale Gold' which is way to dark and S&J gold product....does anyone have any GOOD techniques on a real nice bright 'metalic' looking gold finish?

[email protected]

I experimented with the Krylon metalic gold and WOW! its not bad at all....not 100% smooth but very close to what the Metalizer's look like!

Thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
1. Monogram Voyager model gonna be accurizing the hell out of her.
2. Re-painting my AMT/ERTL U.S.S. Defiant from DS9.
3. AMT/ERTL Enterprise-E
4. AMT/ERTL DS9 Runabout
5. AMT/ERTL Enterprise-D Fiber Optic Kit

Well I probably won't be doing those all at once....I don't like to work on two projects at the same time. But I gotta get some paint thinner so I can take the paint off my Defiant model and re-paint her. I never liked how I did the paint job on it. I'm waiting on the DS9 Runabout and Enterprise-E kit to come now....then in a few weeks I'll be paying for the Enterprise-D kit.

Trent

Edit: But currently I'm working on my Voyager model...been a slow process....I just added the four missing escape pod hatches and I gotta sand some of the primary hull top windows down (from glue), and gotta re-add some plastic strips to couple of the primary top hull windows that obviously weren't glued on all the way.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Lonfan , i'm also starting on my Dr J from them and i gotta agree it's one cool kit ! lotsa extra lab stuff , a few books and Clean!!! castings .
i've made an extension of the wooden floor to accomodate a bookshelf and extra table . there'll be a back wall section with a window . i'm aso going to use the old Fatmanprod replacement head whick imho is very close to the boxart likeness .
so far the extra table , base ( floor ) extension , back wall sections are done and everything is primed and ready to paint .
a real blast so far !!
model on guys !
hb

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a lot going on right now. Heres some of it:

Beverly Hillbillies truck

#43 2002 Literacy Dodge

PL Kiss Paul Stanley & backdrop for set

Fireball 500 w/Petty car

Roosevelt Air Force One

PL NX-01

PL Herbie

Just finished: #24 Wright Bros Chevy(2003), Freighterliner Rolling Thunder #1
and PL Batmobile

·
Registered
146 Posts
switching back and forth between pl nx-01 (working on masking right now, man thats a lot of tape), an ent-d (painting windows, oh joy), and a ertl 67 gto (i forgot how crappy some of the old ertl car kits are, strange, my two 67 mustangs were fine, but this goat is a pita.)

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
- 1/48 Gates LearJet w/custom decals for a friend to match his FS plane

- 1/72 PL C-57D w/ corrected upper dome, saucer edge and lower dome lighting effects

- 1/72 Revell Germany Type VII-C U-boat w/ added details

- 1701 Enterprise 1/6 studio-scale (22-3/8") - accurate, some kit and aftermarket parts, mostly scratchbuilt

- Two PL 1/12 studio-scale Enterprise "shadowbox" dioramas w/ lights and studio gear (in-progress for nearly a year now)

- Two PL 1701 Enterprise 1/3 scale "3-footers" - resin-cast saucers with contours and details altered to match original "three-footer". In 1st Pilot and production versions.

- 1701 Enterprise 1/2 studio-scale (67") w/ miniature shuttlecraft hangar and bridge. Complete with lights, screen-accurate power dome lighting effects, N-scale bridge crew and shuttles.

- 1/350 PL NX-01 w/ lights and detailed paint scheme and corrections

As you can see, mostly representations of the original series Enterprise :) . The LearJet is for a friend, so I'll finish it first. The rest are for myself and have no deadlines. So, I'll finish them whenever.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Oh yeah forgot to mention I've also got...

A Klingon Bird Of Prey from Star Trek Generations

3 PL Refit Enterprises, 2 for two of my brothers and 1 for me...of course when it is released.

And my AMT/ERTL Defiant from the plus pack. I've gotta get more paint thinner so I can take off all the paint and re-paint her, then I'll eventually get some fresh aftermarket decals from JT directly when the time comes. So for an overview....

1. AMT/ERTL Enterprise-D
2. AMT/ERTL Enterprise-E
3. Monogram Voyager Model
4. AMT/ERTL Runabout
5. AMT/ERTL Generations Bird Of Prey
6. AMT/ERTL Defiant (Repainting and Decaling)
7. 3 PL Refit Enterprise's (again 2 for two of my brothers, and 1 for me)

Phew that is a lot of model kits....lol. Hopefully I can eventually get me an Enterprise-C and Yamaguchi kit or just two Enterprise-C kits. Then the Enterprise-B and Excelsior kits, and a Reliant. But all in due time.

Trent

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Aurora Captain America

Possibly the SMER (Aurora) Viking Ship...in the planning stages...

Aurora CS Spiderman

MMM

·
Starship Class
11,836 Posts
Whew! Rebel Rocker, I know what you mean about modeler's block! I've not managed to do much of anything lately (except piddle on some Rev War pants I'm sewing up -- but that's another hobby).

PL Batmobile: I'm fairly close to finishing a pretty much OOB of the PL Batmobile. The only difference this time is more of a comic book look with metallic blue finish and altered wheels.

Seaview:
Still piddling on that some resculpting the nose.

Batplane: Have nearly finished the addition of Batman and Robin figures and opened up (but still fairly simple) cockpit. Thinking of a dark blue top and silver or gray bottom for the plane to make it more interesting as well as lots of airplane decals for detail.

Fledermauswagen: Open top bashing of Herbie with some components from a PL Batmobile. Adding the cockpit windshields, wheels, etc.

+ A couple of others that have been in stasis for a year or so that I'll get to eventually.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts