Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a terrible procrastinator when it comes to any custom work. I'm just curious as to what others have and maybe by posting some work in progress we can motivate each other to finish them.
1st up, a couple redlines I have had sitting for a long time. They won't be 100% faithful restorations, but rather custom saves. They were total trash at the beginning so I did no harm in bringing them this far.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

An Altered Ego that I wanted to chop the front off like everyone else and fill in the roof and hood. I think that spoiler has to go as well. The goal is to make it look like something that could actually come off an assembly line.

[/IMG]

A Studebaker Champ that I cut the bed off so I could test some cut off wheels I bought. I'm pretty sure this will get the flatbed treatment. I want to raise the suspension a bit though because the original casting sits pretty low.

[/IMG]

Finally a '41 Willys that is great the way it is except for the chrome interior and the wheels.

[/IMG]

Well there it is for now. Feel free to post your long overdue projects and any progress you make on them .

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Not really a long overdue one here. Just trying to take my time with it

Not even really a custom, but is on the bench...

Will be a restore. I wish I could just get rid of the very dark toning on this paint, and it would be a great car as is....alas, don't know of any way to do that, so it will end up being a re-paint....

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I've only got one thing on the bench right now. What will be a replication of the "Chevado" Wheel-stander. Been thinking on this one a long time. It's been on the bench about 6 weeks now. After stripping it. I've done almost every operation from that point at least 4 times. Haven't transferred any bench shots from the camera to flash drive yet. But this is the photo that I saw in 1968 that's made me want to replicate this car ever since I started building die-casts. With this build the insides and the underside are as important as the body finish. A lot of cut to fit and fit to cut with this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Here's an actual "been thinking about but never got to" ...

Have an original Johnny Lightning Topper base from this Sand Stormer, but the body is a Candy Chrome re-pop/commemorative.

Cant just drop the body on the chassis, have cut a little, then put it down... maybe someday I'll jump on it.

Pic is of the body just balanced on the base.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Working on raising the suspension on the Studebaker. I was going to try a working suspension with paper clips, but decided I'm too old and cranky for that.LOL. As is, I just blocked it up, added the tubes and the paper clips for detail. I may go over the contact point with some JB weld to secure it. Then clean it up and everything gets painted black.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not Hot Wheels customs, but my work bench is filled with 25 1/24 scale Onyx Moto GP motorcycles. They all fell 7 feet during our earthquake last November. Since they are mostly plastic, I am re-glueing fairings and riders bodies back together.

·
Super Moderator
24,588 Posts
Not Hot Wheels customs, but my work bench is filled with 25 1/24 scale Onyx Moto GP motorcycles. They all fell 7 feet during our earthquake last November. Since they are mostly plastic, I am re-glueing fairings and riders bodies back together.
Pics of carnage? :lurk5:

Glad you were not hurt physically. :cheers2:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
nice thread! thanks to z06 for this idea :thumbsup:

last year, there is custom competition(https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/158-diecast-car-customs/586113-hot-wheels-custom-competition-d.html) i like to try participate, but... i too lazy/ no mood to continue after fail first few experiment.
maybe because i don't have printer at home and my office printer is just next to the "boss".

because i don't want spend too much and i never done any custom, so i try use paper only.
i make the "cabin/ rv" paper use open office software(https://www.openoffice.org - opensource/ freeware)
i use 1:1 scale in millimeter, but look the result is not what i expected or maybe i miss the calculation :grin2:
i draft all interior things too.

if anyone like to experiment too, i am more than happy to email you the file, so you don't need build from 0 :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
nice thread! thanks to z06 for this idea :thumbsup:

last year, there is custom competition(https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/158-diecast-car-customs/586113-hot-wheels-custom-competition-d.html) i like to try participate, but... i too lazy/ no mood to continue after fail first few experiment.
maybe because i don't have printer at home and my office printer is just next to the "boss".

because i don't want spend too much and i never done any custom, so i try use paper only.
i make the "cabin/ rv" paper use open office software(https://www.openoffice.org - opensource/ freeware)
i use 1:1 scale in millimeter, but look the result is not what i expected or maybe i miss the calculation :grin2:
i draft all interior things too.

if anyone like to experiment too, i am more than happy to email you the file, so you don't need build from 0 :grin2:
You might try pie-tin. Stuff works for me. Well..... Least until something better comes along. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up redoing the bars on the bottom with brass tube and added aluminum tubing sleeves to the plastic tubes. I realized that the tubes alone would be to large and the hot wheels axles would have too much play.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stripped the cab of the Studebaker and have to fill in the lower back portion . I notched the axle tubes as suggested by Milton Fox Racing to allow gluing of half axle shafts. I commented that I always seemed to get glue on the wheels and they stayed in place. He suggested this method.They still have to be cleaned up and painted once the wheels are on. Thanks!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts