Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a set of Treasure Hunts from 2008 from the master set of mainlines that was only available on HWC.Com. There was only 500 sets produced and they have the "master set" sticker on the card signifying that they were from this set.

I haven't been keeping up on values but I'm trying to sell this set and I can't get anyone to even make an offer. Any experts on here care to give their opinions on what this set might be worth? And please no "$24" quotes I'm seriously trying to find out what the secondary market of this collection is.

Thanks.

(Please PM me if seriously interested in buying them!)

·
Registered
849 Posts
as the vari that is only in that set{but not in every set } is in your set id say woth a lil more...dose the roadrunner have a painted base ??

·
Registered
849 Posts
They are all to my knowledge the common variety of each car. Thanks.
your 300c i belive is diff than the stores bought set ill look when i get a change i have both of them
but i cant rem what one is the store or set only one
gotta get some sleep lol just got home from work:(

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WoW! and I thought the $24 was fair after all thats all mattel wanted for them!
Geez I said I didn't want any $24 quotes in the original post I'm trying to get opinions on SECONDARY MARKET value.

Actually to get these particular cars, you had to spend $465, FROM MATTEL BY THEY WAY. They did come with 360 other cars though. :tongue:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
This Set he has is Limited to the Box Set. I believe its 10k Sets. I could be
wrong of course in how many they made as I only saw the Box once when
I had to move it from his home he was moving out of.

I wouldn't know what the Secondary Market is on this Set as the Set is no
different than the Retail Set except for the Holo Sticker on the packs. I say
put it on eBay for .99c and see where it goes and if its not up to where you
like it to be by the last day with 12 hrs left, just end the Auction. Everybody
else does this when they are fishing for a price.

I say keep the Hologram TH packs and get rid of the Retail packs you may
have as you paid quit a bit for the yearly Cars without the Variants. My
buddy bought one Box and I looked at him with a tilted head thinking you BIG
Dummy as he already owns all the Cars with Variants. This Set is only good
for the people who didnt want to hunt for the Cars for the year. Easy way
out if you ask me. No fun in buying the Cars for the year in one shot.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liv n Low thanks for the feedback. The set was only limited to 500 sets. That's FIVE HUNDRED. I was hoping to sell it to a collector on our boards if they wanted it for a fair secondary market price so I offered it here first. I wanted to avoid ebay and their lone shark fees if I could but it may end up going there.

Some people choose to invest time running to stores finding cars other people choose to spend time on other things and buy the set. I figured it was still available last year and I'd see if it was the right thing for me. It wasn't. Now I think I see why it was still available.

You do get all of the color variations in this set including the Kmart ones, but not the other variations that show up in stores. You also received all 4 mail in mystery cars. So all in all there's good value in the set, at around 360 cars for $465 it's a little more than a buck a piece, you didn't have to buy 80 other cars and mail in all the cardbacks and a S&H fee (I think $3 each), no aggravation (save for the few bent cards and the hour it took to unpack the 60 pound box) and no racing others to the toy aisles in the morning or raiding pallets or dealing with corrupt store employees...

Boy I could go on and on but this set is a STEAL for a collector lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to remember something about these factory sets with the sticker on them being of "higher quality" vs. the retail versions. By this, I mean that the cars in these 500 sets were "hand picked" because of their excellent paint jobs and superb packaging.

The only reason I know this is because Mattel does this with the Pixar Cars line of factory sealed sets and somebody once mentioned that these factory sets of Hot Wheels also went through the same process.

However, I could be way off. :freak:

If this is true, then I would say that your set here Mike is worth more, IMO, compared to a retail set because of the better quality of the cars.

:wave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts