Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished the comparison of the MORL 2009 season:

Check out the side by side A-Main times analysis between Slash Spec and Short Course Truck classes here:

Let us know what you think?

:wave:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Glenn you and I have had this discussion.There is no advantage to just chassis.Any advantage in this class is found mainly in tires,then motor/lipo.I beleive any difference in lap times we see between the slash spec and SC classes can be attributed to those 3 factors.I will say we can see where the V200 tekin software came into play this season on the longer tracks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glenn you and I have had this discussion.There is no advantage to just chassis.Any advantage in this class is found mainly in tires,then motor/lipo.I beleive any difference in lap times we see between the slash spec and SC classes can be attributed to those 3 factors.I will say we can see where the V200 tekin software came into play this season on the longer tracks.
Yeah, I totally agree about the "additional" aspects beyond the base platform that drive on the track performance. Mostly, I was cheering for the "little Traxxas that could" up against the "main stream" race products...

A fellow (actually several) called it much the same way at RCU, driver skill, set up know how, and preparation for a given track...

Good to see ya Chad, looking forward to the Washtenaw SC Open class this winter?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeah, I totally agree about the "additional" aspects beyond the base platform that drive on the track performance. Mostly, I was cheering for the "little Traxxas that could" up against the "main stream" race products...

A fellow (actually several) called it much the same way at RCU, driver skill, set up know how, and preparation for a given track...

Good to see ya Chad, looking forward to the Washtenaw SC Open class this winter?
The 3 factors I mentioned I considered as being over and above.Like if you were to put a stock slash,and then a SC class truck in the hands of the same driver with both trucks well set-up for the track so you could truly guage the difference in lap times between the trucks.

you know it Glenn.Bring on the 16 hour race days!! Just got some new lipos in today, so there will be no more battery falling off at the 3 minute point of the race:rolleyes:Gotta admit those cheap yeahs took some serious abuse for 2 years solid from Brandon and I , so I dont feel bad about needing some new batteries now.

On an Added note, I went and ran some oval and SC at stateline last night.The SC tqed and won the main.The Main was a "bucket race" where they place a 5 gallon pail in the front straight by the scoring loop and you have to make a counter-clockwise lap around the bucket every lap before you continue on to your next lap.First time I have ever done that, but it was pretty darn cool.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We're already running similarly to what y'all are talking about. RTR class means motor, speedo, and tires. Tires seem to be the biggest factor, you just get so much traction and no more. Speaking of which, about to go sipe some tires ha ha ha. Second is speedo, with the lack of programming, etc. only so much feel. Mod class is wide open, guys are running 1/8 tires on 17mm hexes, BL and LiPo, etc. Makes some difference due to our track size, good driver will be a couple seconds faster b/w Mod and Stock (we have guys who run both). But, the Slash seems to more than hold it's own so far. I just finished building an SC10, be interesting to see how it does.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We're already running similarly to what y'all are talking about. RTR class means motor, speedo, and tires. Tires seem to be the biggest factor, you just get so much traction and no more. Speaking of which, about to go sipe some tires ha ha ha. Second is speedo, with the lack of programming, etc. only so much feel. Mod class is wide open, guys are running 1/8 tires on 17mm hexes, BL and LiPo, etc. Makes some difference due to our track size, good driver will be a couple seconds faster b/w Mod and Stock (we have guys who run both). But, the Slash seems to more than hold it's own so far. I just finished building an SC10, be interesting to see how it does.
That sounds like a great program. This thing gets so complicated with the details.

For example, a Slash Spec class would include a Titan motor, but to run the same truck in the MORL SC class the motor had to be swapped out for a stock rated motor. The Losi Strike RTR (that doesn't meet ROAR chassis rules, therefor may not be permitted to run if rules were strictly enforced) is said to also come with a Titan.

MORL stipulated stock motors for the SC class. So, in the SC Class A-Main all the trucks have the "same" motor, SC tires of choice, and electronics of choice..

When I illustrated the season SC Class performance up against the Slash Spec, its really apples to oranges to compare (contrast) the two. I was hoping someone would notice and point that out. I am known to try and plant seeds and see if a conversation might grow.

If we're to know who ran what truck in the SC class, THAT is the comparison I was hoping to draw out. In the SC class, Slash and SC chassis were present, as well as home made Academy and Rustler based entries.

But, to do the really good comparison and discussion, the driver's need to speak up and share thier insights.

That's why I crafter the whole post as an inquirey by the drivers in the community, and not really definitive conclusions by myself.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I personally would like to see SCT classes split into 2 classes. Stock and mod, just like every other class we run. Include all RTR motors,27T brushed and 17.5 BL in stock with any SC style tires . Mod should be Just that, Mod. Open motor,1/8 wheel set-ups etc.Personally I think with all the new comers to the SCT market slash spec has run it's course.If other brands are allowed to enter the current spec class there will always be a heated argument as to what is the hot ticket set-up.Where as if we group them together as a stock class racers will be able to Choose what they want to run for gear.Be it a slash with a 17.5 syatem, a sc10 with a 27t system, a Blitz with a titan system, or a strike with a AE 17t system.It wouldnt matter, those would be the available choices,pick one and run it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I was looking through the results and couldn't help but notice the caliber of sc10 racers vs. slash. Nothing against the Slash guys, but there were some fast fellas running open sc or whatever it's called. Put the same guys in Spec Slash and they would have won that as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chad - Yeah, if Memo goes ahead at Washtenaw this winter with the Stock and Open SC Classes, I think he will be setting the pace in the evolution of the Class. He's said he intends one more year of Slash Spec, then transition to pure SC classes in the following years, in the traditional buggy and stadium truck examples.

One thing that muddies the conversation from my point of view... when we speak of a Slash or Losi (whatever that thing is called) Spec class we aren't talking a typical stock motor that would come with an RTR, they both effectivly come with mod motors in the Titan example. Yet, when MORL says "stock" SC, its neither "Spec" or "RTR" motor, its actually a "ROAR" type stock rated power plant.

So, all these variable need to be defined when tying to compare. Of course, in a Washtenaw type "open" class, its run whatever you want...

(for example a stock rated brushless with 3-cell Lipo, as was done by some last year)

S.J. - Yep. That's why the side by side comparison between the two classes is really apples to oranges. Good observation.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think an open class is one thing, if people want to run bigger motors then go for it. But putting 1/8th scale tires on them just defeats the purpose of the class in my opinion. You lose the scale realism and the handling characteristics that brought me to this class to begin with. I think that will end up ruining the class when we go away from what the class is supposed to be. The real CORR trucks didn't decide to go with monster truck tires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think an open class is one thing, if people want to run bigger motors then go for it. But putting 1/8th scale tires on them just defeats the purpose of the class in my opinion. You lose the scale realism and the handling characteristics that brought me to this class to begin with. I think that will end up ruining the class when we go away from what the class is supposed to be. The real CORR trucks didn't decide to go with monster truck tires.
How about we try and define "open" as it might apply?

Open to aftermarket chassis (like yours), open motor, open battery, open electronics and servos, but must be SC class "type" tire, and SC class "type" body?

(and must meet ROAR class chassis guidelines as they might apply)

Any other ideas / suggestions I'm not thinking of?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
That's how I would do it :thumbsup: After all we call them short course trucks just like their grown up cousins. Not 1/8th scale hybrids. If you wanna run 1/8th scale parts run an 1/8th scale. When you start adding this that and the other damn thing there goes the class. This is one time where I have to agree with roar, they kept it simple for this class.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
(spoken in an Al Sharpton sermon voice) "To which all will rejoice and welcome their spec class bretheren into the land of equality and prosperity known as SCT racing!!!!

:thumbsup:

May fast lines be with you...And also with you....

:thumbsup:
Darn tootin...

:)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
But seriously, even if we went ROAR 27t/17.5 BL with stock the cost to race a box stock RTR would be like 25.00 extra for a decent 27t stocker and it would be competitive.Rick Marriott ran a 27t in his slash in the sc class this year and did pretty well with it.His truck was just as fast as mine was down the straight at BFG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts