Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts anyone? I'm trying to decide whether to top coat with an acrylic clear or an automotive type lacquer.

thanks!
Rod

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Well it really depends on what you used as your paint coats. Automotive lacquer is very hot and will blister acrylic and enamel model paints and can melt plastic.

I do not use many gloss top coats but for flat coats, my clear of choice is Testors Clear Flat Lacquer Top Coat. It's a lacquer but is airbrushable and dries instantly, so there is no chance of it softening and marring the paint layers. I like it because it dries dead flat all the time every time and does not make dark colors look light or pastel. I recently used some Testors Acryl acrylic clear flat in a pinch and its "okay" but not as ultra dead flat and it will turn black into a hazy blue grey color.

For gloss coats I have used Future, usually brushed on in a couple of coats and allowed to level out on its own.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've used automotive lacquers such as Dupli-Color and never had any blistering of acrylic or enamel paints. If if blisters, usually this means the mix is off: too much solvent.
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts