Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is best and safest to use to strip paint off a vinyl kit, that will not damage it in anyway?
i've heard, easy-off oven cleaner, and pine-sol undeluted cleaner.
lmk, what's best.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Those will work if you can handle the fumes from easy off oven cleaner.But Castrol Super Degreaser will take the paint right off of any kit and not hurt it one bit.I stripped a Billiken kit in Castrol and left it there for 3 days and no damage at all.Just were rubber gloves as its very harsh to the skin.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those will work if you can handle the fumes from easy off oven cleaner.But Castrol Super Degreaser will take the paint right off of any kit and not hurt it one bit.I stripped a Billiken kit in Castrol and left it there for 3 days and no damage at all.Just were rubber gloves as its very harsh to the skin.
Thanks, Wolfman66,
Where's the best place to buy it?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
thanks my friends.
do you soak it , spray it, need to brush, wipe the paint off ? how do you use it?
Pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and drop the parts into it and let it sit for 24hrs.Then take a old toothbrush and use it to scrub down the kit and also to get in the harder corners and it should come clean.But make sure you wash the kit down with regular warm water when done and let it air dry.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and drop the parts into it and let it sit for 24hrs.Then take a old toothbrush and use it to scrub down the kit and also to get in the harder corners and it should come clean.But make sure you wash the kit down with regular warm water when done and let it air dry.
Great advice Danny:thumbsup:
....But for those Pesky Corners...
I've always found that my Trusty Ol' Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle (with a Compass in the Stock and a thing that tells time!) has never let me down yet!

Cheers!
Mcdee

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
There are many threads covering this topic, the big question is what to do with the leftovers. I don't know the disposal procedure for the castrol stuff is, but given it's an engine degreaser, I'd have doubts that it's down the drain...

For something biodegradeable and cleans up with soap at worst and doesn't require rubber gloves, go for Simple Green. There are a few generics out there (one is called clean green). I'm almost thinking something like windex will work too, but haven't tried it yet. I've also steered clear of anything with Pine oil in it, figuring the oils may not be good on most materials.

Granted whatever you are left with after cleaning is an enamel soup that shouldn't be poured down the sink regardless. Fortunately, you don't necessarily have to. In simple green's case, it can be reused for a long time.

Get yourself some sealable jugs. I got about five 128oz jigs from the dollar store. There are many shapes and sizes for almost any conceivable part. When the parts are clean, seal the jugs and put them in a cabinet somewhere for next time. After some time, all the gunk sinks to the bottom and the liquid can, mostly, be poured off into another jug. I guess you could sieve it too.

Also get a cheap electric toothbrush. Let it do all the work for you on the tiny details. And you gotta have a green-scrubbie-sponge-thing for large area cleanup. Clean under slowly running water and drop the part back in the bucket if it needs some more time.

The castrol stuff is supposed to strip in a few hours. Simple green startes working in hours, but takes a day or so depending on how thick the paint is. On exceptionally tough thick paint, I left some resin parts in for a week. No damage to the parts.

I've heard hat EZ oven stuff is good, but haven't heard if it damages resin or vinyl parts. Don't know about castrol for those materials either.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Castrol will not hurt resin,Vinly or styrene and used it to many times that know for sure:dude:.I have also poured it down my drain aswell and never hurt my pipes and pretty sure it cleaned the hell out of them too.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
It aint' the building pipes that concerned me... Ah, New Jersey. Nevermind. Dump away. You guys have far worse chemical problems than castrol in the water. :freak:

No personal offense intended, of course.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Great advice Danny:thumbsup:
....But for those Pesky Corners...
I've always found that my Trusty Ol' Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle( with a Compass in the Stock and a thing that tells time!) has never let me down yet!

Cheers!
Mcdee
You mean you haven't shot your eye out yet, kid?? :tongue:

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Nope! Safety First!....My eyes are fine ..... I only ever shot at my little brother Randy...and his eyes...
:p
Mcdee

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a SFSM Stargazer -assembled - that was painted VERY badly with what I think was rattlecan white. Whoever "painted" it like that had such a heavy hand that it created a LOT of runs all over the model. First, it's a big model to stick into a tub of cleaner (I'm not sure I could afford all that cleaner!!) plus I have a very real concern of potential damage to the model. A friend of mine used a paint stripper for models - I forget which one he said it was - and it turned the vac kit into a pile of melted plastic! That kit was painted with the same heavy hand with massive paint runs. Both of those models came from a mutual friend - who claims he doesn't have any memory of painting them like that!

I don't have another Stargazer kit so I'm perplexed about how to go about this paint stripping job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It is also worth mentioning that Castrol Super Clean is, in fact, NOT "Castrol" Super Clean -- Castrol stopped producing and/or distributing it a while back, so if you do a web search for that you're only going to find discussions like this one. Super Clean operates under its own name now:

http://www.superclean.com/index.php

Though really, I think just about anything that calls itself a "degreaser" will do the trick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts