Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have seen the new prices at Walmart for the Diecast ???

M2's priced at $6 from $4.97

Jada priced at $4 from $2.97

Maisto Elite priced at $8 from $6.97

Whats your input about this ???? Are these Cars really worth $4 to $6 ea ???

Lets hear how you feel but keep it civil as HT doesn't like things getting out
of hand here.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I do a lot of business at Wal-Mart and K-Mart as they have things tied up here but haven't seen the price hikes yet.

If I go in w/$20 to spend on cars it will just mean I won't be buying so many. If a wheel donor is going to cost me an extra buck I'll have to consider if I really want to do it that bad or not.

They won't be making any extra money off me and may make even less.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I kinda think that prices are going up because the of the popularity of the high end cars. People keep paying for them so the up with the price. I think my limit is about 5 if I really want it to collect. Most of the time I'm just looking for the cool wheels. I wish someone just made a bunch of aftermarket wheels then I wouldn't need to pay their inflated prices. I would feel better about paying more if the money was going to better working conditions and more pay for the people putting them together.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Haven't seen these new prices, but I'd have to think twice about what I'm buying. The problem with this hobby is that on occasion we all have probably have spent some crazy money on a particular piece that "fills a gap" in our collection.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Maybe they know they will have to clearance the slow selling ones so they are trying to make more now by upping the price on all of them to cut their losses in the future.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My wife works at walmart and they SUCK!!!!!!!
Example:
Cell phone car charger was 9.97, price changed to 17.98.
THE BIG DEAL WAS THEIR COST DID NOT GO UP, THEY ARE STILL PAYING 3.46 FOR THEM.
THAT IS NOT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
They (Wal Mart) suck? Why? Because they make a profit? What's wrong with that?

You, a complaining customer, have clearly the right go go elsewhere if you dislike the policies of this retailer. If the company has dertermined how to earn more on particular items then, in the interests of shareholders, it must do so.

The customers (or potential ones) have absolutely no reason to complain about profits made by Wal Mart on sales. If it offends, then please shop at another retailer.

I admire Wal Mart for making profits and providing customers with a wide variety of items at competitive prices.

Furthermore, I believe buyers of die cast model cars (as well as all other consumer goods) will find that the market sets prices.

- ranchero -

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I don't even bother going to the diecast aisle at Wal Mart anymore. The stores in my area are either locked down by scalpers/insiders or just plain don't carry any product anymore.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
They (Wal Mart) suck? Why? Because they make a profit? What's wrong with that?

You, a complaining customer, have clearly the right go go elsewhere if you dislike the policies of this retailer. If the company has dertermined how to earn more on particular items then, in the interests of shareholders, it must do so.

The customers (or potential ones) have absolutely no reason to complain about profits made by Wal Mart on sales. If it offends, then please shop at another retailer.

I admire Wal Mart for making profits and providing customers with a wide variety of items at competitive prices.

Furthermore, I believe buyers of die cast model cars (as well as all other consumer goods) will find that the market sets prices.

- ranchero -
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I believe in capitalism, too. But, is there a justification for one of the few businesses who is actually making a profit to be increasing their prices during such economic turmoil--especially when they're supposed to be the discount store for the economically displaced masses? Does WM owe anything to the very people that they owe their success to?

With respect to the topic of this thread, we are the market and we should set the prices. If enough of us refuse to pay the prices, they'll either come down or the products will disappear from the pegs altogether. We shouldn't let Wal Mart's arrogance dictate the market. I'll never support WM's need to be the only dog in the yard.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I believe in capitalism, too. But, is there a justification for one of the few businesses who is actually making a profit to be increasing their prices during such economic turmoil--especially when they're supposed to be the discount store for the economically displaced masses? Does WM owe anything to the very people that they owe their success to?

With respect to the topic of this thread, we are the market and we should set the prices. If enough of us refuse to pay the prices, they'll either come down or the products will disappear from the pegs altogether. We shouldn't let Wal Mart's arrogance dictate the market. I'll never support WM's need to be the only dog in the yard.
Well said, dh. Power to the people...!

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I don't even bother going to the diecast aisle at Wal Mart anymore. The stores in my area are either locked down by scalpers/insiders or just plain don't carry any product anymore.:rolleyes:

I agree with FLOYDFROG... It's pretty much the same around here... Meijer Stores, Toys R Us, and Target is where I do most of my diecast shopping !!!
K-Mart & Wal-Mart Stinks !!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
DH - thanks for reading, thinking and responding. I appreciate your reply.

First of all, WM owns nothing to the "people". It does not owe customers - they get a good deal, huge inventory, multiple locations and a generous return policy. It does not owe employees - they already get paid on a regular basis at the rate they have agreed to accept. Who it does owe is the investors who have risked savings in purchase of stock in the company. Wal Mart is not in business for the benefit of the "people". It is not a public utility; it is not the government. It serves customers well by providing lots of merchandise at prices set by the market - only usually a bit better so that the company can sell more. But please recognize that the obligation it has is only to the owners of the company.

I fully agree with you that "we" set the prices. We do. We are the market. We have the option to shop elsewhere.

Wal Mart may not care to serve the market that is die cast toy collectors; perhaps they want us to shop elsewhere. I don't know; I don't care. We have options and we can decide where to shop - on line or at a different retailer. If the market is one in which WM can make money then they will serve us with good selection and good prices. If they are not interested, if it is not worth their trouble then they will stock less and less at greater prices. That may be what is happening. We can shop elsewhere. WM has no obligation to sell us toy cars at prices we prefer to pay; they are not some government benefits program. They are a competitive enterprise.

Buy what you like from the retailer where you can get the very best deal (and selection). But do not think WM must serve you with prices you think are right because the economy is currently less than robust.

- ranchero -

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's great reading all of your info/suggestions. :thumbsup:

From the way I see it for Walmart they now have become the low man on
the totem pole in being the cheapest Store today....Looks like Target is
now the cheapest Store to get your addiction when they are stocked up.

Walmart is now shooting themselves in the foot by letting other Corps be
cheaper in price. Hell, Kmart is now looking better in prices even though they
rarely ever stock anything good to buy but they are cheaper than Walmart.

The way I see it is Walmart is fishing in prices to make the most and why
not when people are still shopping at Walmart for what they need to live by.
Walmart did this a few years back and they realized that it wasn't worth
losing sales over and they lowered there prices back to where they should of
been. Im just going to sit back and see what there next move is just like
playing Chess.

We as the costomers make the decisions on where to shop at of course but
for most people who dont have other Stores to go too are the ones who are
getting hit hard by over priced items. This is where Walmart is not for the
people like they say, its all about what Walmart can make. Its not a win win
situation for all who are needing a bargain.

Lets hear more ideas & input. Love to read more.

Liv N Low

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
DH - thanks for reading, thinking and responding. I appreciate your reply.

First of all, WM owns nothing to the "people". It does not owe customers - they get a good deal, huge inventory, multiple locations and a generous return policy. It does not owe employees - they already get paid on a regular basis at the rate they have agreed to accept. Who it does owe is the investors who have risked savings in purchase of stock in the company. Wal Mart is not in business for the benefit of the "people". It is not a public utility; it is not the government. It serves customers well by providing lots of merchandise at prices set by the market - only usually a bit better so that the company can sell more. But please recognize that the obligation it has is only to the owners of the company.

I fully agree with you that "we" set the prices. We do. We are the market. We have the option to shop elsewhere.

Wal Mart may not care to serve the market that is die cast toy collectors; perhaps they want us to shop elsewhere. I don't know; I don't care. We have options and we can decide where to shop - on line or at a different retailer. If the market is one in which WM can make money then they will serve us with good selection and good prices. If they are not interested, if it is not worth their trouble then they will stock less and less at greater prices. That may be what is happening. We can shop elsewhere. WM has no obligation to sell us toy cars at prices we prefer to pay; they are not some government benefits program. They are a competitive enterprise.

Buy what you like from the retailer where you can get the very best deal (and selection). But do not think WM must serve you with prices you think are right because the economy is currently less than robust.

- ranchero -
Investors do not blindly place their money in the hands of companies with no chance of returning said financing with satisfactory profits on those investmens. If the investors realized that consumers did not approve of Wal Marts strategy, they themselves would steer that big ship in a different direction. You are wrong if you think that Wal Mart could just do what they want. You can't just take the consumer out of the equation. Without them, there would be no investors. If Wal Mart thought that the investors were the only ones to impress, then why bother to pay for advertisement? Wal Mart may not be in business for the people, but that does not negate what it owes for the patronage by the people. Without the customers, Wal Mart becomes a warehouse full of things that does nothing but drain the pockets of the Waltons.

As for your comment about the insignificance of diecast collectors as influences on Wal Mart, the diecast section is not the only category effected by the price hikes. This is a diecast forum, so that is what we are addressing. The statement "The customer is always right." was coined for a reason. The consumer is king. Big business and you can believe all you like that big business can alienate the customer, but to do so, would be at the peril of their bottom line. It's hard to believe that you feel that big business owes nothing to consumers (which includes you) because they allow us to buy from them and then allows us to return crap when it doesn't deliver what the manufacturers promise. :freak: It is because we have a choice of stores to shop at that WM owes at least respect and consideration to their customers.

Sorry guys. Bump.

·
Registered
995 Posts
My nearest target, TRU and every other bigger chain retail store is over 2 hours away...I don't have a choice to shop Wally World, but I don't buy the more expensive diecast cars anymore.
I'll stick with the $0.97 cars for now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts