Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my best hunting buddies bday came and went, and i had traded for some wild card chases, which didnt come in time, so, i spent 70 dollars to buy the chases on ebay, this guy has been great to my collection..now, i figure i'll trade off the ones i'm waiting on, so, i gave him his bday box and he had this look of disappointment and kind of mumbled thanks, he collects m2 heavily, and needed those, how would you take this, how would you react?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, that is kinda hard because I do not like ungrateful people. If he needed those cars than he should have been happy to get them. I have turned around and told people like that "Well, I can take it back to the store and keep the money."

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
maybe you caught him on a bad day. or him and his wife had a decussion about him having to many cars. i would wait a few days and just come right out and ask him if he was happy with the cars.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
That is a hard question Craig.... I rarely ever give my collecting buddys Cars for their Birthday as I like to get more personal with them in getting them something they really need or would appreciate more than adding to their collection. I gave a close buddy of mine a Signed Football Jersey of his favorite player and he cried which made me tear up as I wasn't too sure if he was disappointed or happy. It turned out that he was happy as he came over to me and gave me a hug saying that no one has ever gave him something like that.

What ya can do Craig is call him up and ask him about the gift you gave him if it was something he liked or not... It's a tough call as a true friend would never say a word or show disappointment in whatever they recieved from a close friend.

That is a tough question

Now give us Hobbytalkers a easier question dammmit :p

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Just as others have said, instead of wondering, you should just ask him why he seemed so down. Maybe he had other things on his mind. Maybe he already secured the same cars you gave him. Or maybe it just wasn't as exciting for him because his birthday had past.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
That's a tough one without knowing all the circumstances and your buddy. Me personally, I NEVER expect anything from anyone, so whatever I am given, regardless, I appreciate it very, very much. A gift is just that, a gift. How can anyone be disappointed in the fact that someone thought enough of them to GIVE them something?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Hard one, but I would ask him that you noticed he seemed less than excited and hoped there wasn't a problem. I had someone give me an M2 for an anniversary present because he knew I collected them. Unfortunately, I did already have that one. But I saw it as an opportunity to trade my old one off for a new one I didn't have, so it still added to my collection.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
OK. You said he needed the chase cars you gave him so that must mean he didn't already have them. This is one of your best bud's, right? Get it out in the open - don't dance - get to the point.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Get it out in the open - don't dance - get to the point.
That is what Mark does to me as he is my Grammar Police, Grammar Police on HT when I spell words wrong.. Huh Mark, as he points out my mistakes with a red pen :D .. :lol:

Oh Oh, Mark, Have a great gathering coming up at your place next month.... I know a secret ... Neener Neeeener Neeeeeeener :p

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
You might say it's a hard one but to me it's not. It's about the motivation of giving. Naturally it's nice to find gratitude to a level that we think we deserve but ultimately that's the wrong attitude on the part of the giver. You can transfer this kind of principle to any relationship really. It's always when our personal perceived needs aren't met that we get upset or disgruntled or even angry. At the end of the day you wanted to do a good thing for someone, it means you cared about that person and in the grand scheme of things that is enough. It really is.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
You might say it's a hard one but to me it's not. It's about the motivation of giving. Naturally it's nice to find gratitude to a level that we think we deserve but ultimately that's the wrong attitude on the part of the giver. You can transfer this kind of principle to any relationship really. It's always when our personal perceived needs aren't met that we get upset or disgruntled or even angry. At the end of the day you wanted to do a good thing for someone, it means you cared about that person and in the grand scheme of things that is enough. It really is.
I respectfully disagree. Letting things fester is the root of the destruction of relationships. These are good friends and they need to be up front and honest with each other.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I agree with Kiwi. A gift that needs reciperation is not really a gift. Now if OP is concerned about friend then discuss with friend but dont tie it in to appearing ungrateful for a birthday gift.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Craig, if he is a very good friend of yours, just quietly ask him. It's better to ask him in a low-key way then let it bother you. My close friend and I don't always see eye-to-eye about things and it's not uncommon for us to ask one another, "Hey, what's up with that?"

If he's your best hunting buddy the worst that could happen is that he takes aim...

:wave:

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is exactly why I don't buy gifts for my friends! Last time I did,I bought a very nice set of power tools for a close friend and he asks if I could return them and just give him the money. Haven't bought a gift for a friend since and won't. And no he didn't need the money......

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we talked..it was a bit of shock, but not how i took it, he said he knew he could never give back what i gave to him, and i told him he didn't have to, he seemed a bit relieved, we talked on the porch, stared at the neighbor lady, then i went home.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Well, we talked..it was a bit of shock, but not how i took it, he said he knew he could never give back what i gave to him, and i told him he didn't have to, he seemed a bit relieved, we talked on the porch, stared at the neighbor lady, then i went home.
That sounds so much better than what our imaginations can come up with.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
it pays to talk things out.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts