Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some input from fellow racers, I was wondering what would make it worth your while to travel to a race? I know there are people who do
the NCS series races, usually make three races that are close to home to run for the points championship but what I am interested in is what it would take to get people to come from around the nation to one big event? Back in the day it was always the Las Vegas Super Nats was the biggie but over the years it has fallin off as the race of the year. I know QSAC has been trying to do something like that with there final race show down but even that hasn't been drawing in the people. Some of us race because we love to and others want to race for something whether it be money, nice big trophy/plaque or a new car. I guess I would like to see it like the old days were we had 150 + entries, I know the economy sucks but it would be great to have one big race a year like the Super nats that people would come to.
I know Offroad R/C has there Worlds championship every other year, and Dirt Oval has the Custom works/Tony Stewart race, 1/12 scale has a big race every year in Nov in Ohio (can't remember what they call it) and 1/10th scale
has the Snowbirds in Feb. half of these races are run at the same place every year so people plan on running it. Like I said just looking for some input!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
the ohio race is call the cleveland indoor champs and it's held over thanksgiving every yr. lots of travel time for most. hooters girls would help a little as well......

·
Banned
3,672 Posts
Well I really feel the economy has a lot to do with things this year. Next year we are hosting the 1/4 Scale Paved Oval Nationals.

I expect all the manufactures to show up and show their wares and support the people that buy and race their vehicles. I will be paying travel money for that race, along with a lot of nice prizes. When I use to race tunnel hulls they paid us travel money and it helped with gas money and a little hotel.

We need to start having the people involved with 1/4 scale start supporting their own sport. Its been to one sided for to long. We cannot have the racers expected to do everything. The manufactures need to step up to the plate

I really think once the economy turns back around and we grow QSAC back to the numbers it use to have things will be back to normal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cash and Time are my enemy.
My wish list would be this.

1st) A race centrally located, so to make travel a little easier for the west and east coast people.

2nd) A track that is set-up temporarily, something like the Royal Oak race was. Or the Knoxville nationals. This way there is no home track advantage.

3rd) I would NOT want to race for money, because the money races seem to bring out the worse in people.

I know that I don't have all the answers. But I would like to think that this would be a good start.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
What

I don't like racing for money. It gets a lot of equiptment torn up and racers upset. I race for fun. Winning would be an extra. I would like to see a big race or a big race centrally located that would have attractions for the non racing family members. A two or three day race with a meeting to discuss rules and such. I loved going to Royal Oak. It was a big part of my racing year. I am checking to see about getting it back next year. I am also working on another charity race for QSAC. details as soon as they are worked out if we can get it organized. You will love this one.
Another race we need to support is the Knoxville Nationals. This event draws alot of attention and could really benifit QSAC if we work it proper. I know I will be there next year.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I do like Freddie's idea of tow money, that would be a great start for bringing racers in for the big race, but how many tracks or clubs can afford to do that? What would be the break down.

I like the Knoxville Nationals for the big race, you have a big audience and media from all over the country to help promote our sport or hobby. It's centrally located also. If there would be a draw back for Knoxville, I would think hotel cost can't help for that week. I'm sure that the hotel's like to price gouge because of the main event. Also hotel availability can't be easy.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I do like Freddie's idea of tow money, that would be a great start for bringing racers in for the big race, but how many tracks or clubs can afford to do that? What would be the break down.

I like the Knoxville Nationals for the big race, you have a big audience and media from all over the country to help promote our sport or hobby. It's centrally located also. If there would be a draw back for Knoxville, I would think hotel cost can't help for that week. I'm sure that the hotel's like to price gouge because of the main event. Also hotel availability can't be easy.
I have stayed in Knoxville for 4 days with zero hotel cost. I have camped out and you can get a shower and a shave in for a couple of bucks at the rec center and at the schools. There are folks that open up there homes to people coming in for the race. Yes hotels are not cheap. There are only two in knoxville if I remember correct. Super 8 and not sure about the other. I do not remember them jacking the rates like the ones around a Nascar event. One super 8 on route 81 on my way to Bristol one year had trippled there rates. I told them what they could do with there room.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Agreed, hotel and motel would be a minor issue if you have the ability to camp out. Everything else seem to be ideal for a big yearly event.

Centrally located, equal travel distance for most everybody.
Big audience, great chance to help promote the hobby.
Extra curricular activities, don't forget the big race in town.
No home track advantage, temporary track set up.
Tow money, could be raised by entry fee and or 50/50 or other source.
Timing, the race is held while most people take there vacation.
Lodging, somewhere to stay hotels or camping.

The big thing is to cut cost. No matter which track we choose to race at, these are some of the things that I would look for, to get people to travel for a race.

·
topdog of blackflags
2,473 Posts
Agreed, hotel and motel would be a minor issue if you have the ability to camp out. Everything else seem to be ideal for a big yearly event.

Centrally located, equal travel distance for most everybody.
Big audience, great chance to help promote the hobby.
Extra curricular activities, don't forget the big race in town.
No home track advantage, temporary track set up.
Tow money, could be raised by entry fee and or 50/50 or other source.
Timing, the race is held while most people take there vacation.

The big thing is to cut cost. No matter which track we choose to race at.
sounds like royal oak! me myself i liked... working on something just like royal oak for maybe next year. also, get more tv time! done it before everybody likes to see there cars on the tv... mention it to fred murray will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts