Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you go to that great reward what will your family do with all your kits built and unbuilt? I have a lot of diecast stuff as well as a slew of built kits. I told mine to put the whole thing on Ebay, if it's still around then. John P is of great interest to me on this one. Let's leave the comic relief on the shelf for this question, huh guys.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My family has no interest in models, either collecting or building.
I am sure they will just throw it all into the garbage chute.

I would prefer all my modeling stuff would go to my 11-year-old
nephew. He loves building Lego things. Maybe he would get into
kit building.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I'm hoping my kit & kabuddle will go to my son Jacob when I go to that great beyond!
But then again.......................
maybe my wife will put it up for bid to that "E" place.:rolleyes:
Who knows , I won't be around to complain about it.:wave:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have made it a point to my family that all my stuff (built/unbuilt) in total is worth money. While I have no individual item that is worth a lot, if they can sell it all at once to one of the model dealers, they should be able to get a good amount of cash from the sale.

Thus, throwing it away would be stupid since they would be able to get a nice chunk of money from selling it.

Anything they want to keep for themselves they will, although I doubt much if anything will be kept.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My point is that when the Boomer's are gone, so will the building of kits and the likes of all the toys that are from the 60's-70's made today. My kids could care less about building or collecting. I may sell all this stuff myself sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
None of mine (except a couple) are really worth anything, since I've cracked 'em open and started a few. We have no kids, and it's unlikely anybody else will use 'em when I'm gone (I'm 49 now). They'll either go in the trash, to Alex Kung (!) or a church bazaar. I don't have the stash that some of you guys have, so there's no bulk windfall in the future. Also, the diecasts have been played with and I have no packaging, so only a couple might be worth something.

So I'm giving a lot of thought to any new purchases, since I don't have the same youthful open-ended "gotta have it" mindset any more.

Good question.

·
Registered
287 Posts
already started a spread sheet for the wife with list of models and collectables with purchase price (although i wont let her see that part now, would counter all the lies i have told about how much i spend on them)

it also has instructions about offering them on the boards before going to ebay.

my son is already getting all the comic and star wars related pieces as i build them.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well, to be honest, I hope to unload most of my stuff before then. But, I should leave instructions, just in case (I'm 48). I've been building a lot of dinos lately, and I suspect the girls will want to keep at least a few of the pieces. I'm already trying to be a zero growth modeller. Don't buy unless I sell some. I regret buying a bunch. I'm well past the "gotta have that, it's new." Kits I would have bought two years ago, I now look at and think, "No, when would I build it and where would I put it?" Nonetheless, some are on the must-buy list (the coming reissue of the Moon bus, for example).

Kits I can't sell will get given away or sold on E-place for cheap. I'm even contemplating selling a bunch of my 1/1400 build-ups!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've been a collector of all things it seems since I was a kid. I have my Hot Wheels, my Matchbox cars from when I was a kid. I have my original Rat Fink charms, my Mutley eraser I carried all over the country as a kid...

After my home got trounced by three succesive hurricanes a few years back, and I went thru my attic, I made a decision to start parting ways with a lot of stuff. I had boxes of collcetables I didn't even remember were there. Some I hadn't opened in 10-15 yrs! I also was in the process of building my 1:1 32' Ford coupe, so the money I made off ebay went to good use. I sold off all the slot cars and sets, about 5000 Hot Wheels, many very rare. (no shit, I had almost 8000 cars in my collection, mostly early stuff!) I sold off dozens of rare model kits from the 60's and 70's. I finished my car, I bought my wife a beautiful solid oak cabinet to house her glassware, I paid off bills. I can honestly say, I have never regretted it. I'm still an ebay seller (and buyer), and I made yet another decision this year to part with even more of my kits. I'm 48 yrs. old, and I have more kits still than I could build in 2 lifetimes. It's only plastic, it's just stuff. There's a lot of stuff I will never build, so it's going. I recently gave a friends grandson about a dozen Roth monster kits, and he was so thrilled. It was a good feeling.

My son wants my built stuff, he loves them. I'll leave some to my best friend too and a few other friends. My wife knows who to ask for help selling the rest. You can't take it with you guys, do something good with it while you can still enjoy the feeling. Give a neighbor kid a kit, donate some to Boy Scouts, give a friend who can't afford kits some extra's from your stash. Don't forget to build them too! A model is made to be built! Get busy! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Really, as long as you enjoy your "toys" now, that is what really matters. When I check out, it is not what I will be worried about on my death bed.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,277 Posts
Not a clue. And I am beginning to think about it now that I've passed 50. My wife (I assume she'll survive me) will either make some money at flea markets, or toss the whole shebang into several dumpsters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just turned 47 yesterday, and read this thread. Talk about depressing! However, it is something that I have contemplated over the last several years as I have been edging closer and closer to that magic 50 number. I don't have any kids and neither does my fiance (Gettin' ready for marriage #2). As such, I'm not really sure what I'll do. I suppose she could sell them off, but more than likely, I will eventually do it before I take the final dirt nap.

One thing that was quite sobering was when I stopped by my local comic shop about a year ago and found the owner and his helpers sorting through a huge collection of toys, comics and models - many of which I have myself - a very similar collection. He had picked the whole schmear up from a gal who's husband bit the dust at the ripe old age of 52 courtesy of a massive heart attack. He purchased it for $3000.00 and some change. Yeesh! It makes you stop and think. This guy was an opener just like me and as such, items that would have been worth a lot on card were, for the most part, worthless. I guess what Lloyd said about enjoying it while you can is pretty good advice. And let's not ever forget, it's all just plastic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hitting home....

Folks,

I've been thinking a lot about this lately, as I've been going back and fourth between my storage locker. Between my massive collection of action figures, Japanese Chogokin Robots and model spaceships, I've been thinking...what would anyone make of this stuff when I'm gone? Would they understand it's sort of like physical manifestation of my imagination?

Probably not.

Now...I have a three-foot long, Martin Bower-built and painted Skydiver, which is BEAUTIFUL. I'd say it's somewhat priceless to me...but, when my brain is full of worms, I wonder...would anyone else I know even understand what the damn thing was? And even it they did vaguely understand it was from a rather obscure science fiction television series from the late 60s-early seventies...why would they care about it? It has no meaning at all to them.

And then there's my massive collection of ships from the Japanese series LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES. I know absolutely NO ONE who's ever seen it besides myself, even though I consider it to be one of the finest science fiction series of all time and I LOVE the giant capitol ships from the show:
(http://www.hlj.com/product/WRS81002)

I'm beginning to think I should just sell everything...but everytime I think about doing that...I'll pick up some cool figure or ship and feel like I'm six years old again. That feeling is worth hanging on to for as long as possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My poor old dad died in March this year and I have divided his models and all his tools up between myself and my 2 nephews. The reason I kept some of his tools is so I can give them to my son when hes old enough (only 2)

My mum said the kids have to play with the models and enjoy them

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Like so many others I need to come up with a plan myself. I agree, plastic modeling will die with us guys (53 here, O.K, O.K. almost 54). Todays kids could give a flip about plastic modeling. Some I'm sure but not many, the others are too busy with X-Box, Wii and what ever else plus their computers. You never see kids outside playing that much any more either. Ever notice that?

A buddy of mine's wife has a plan: Large boxes .50, small .25. I ask him every other day how he's feeling. I can't post here what he always says!

This is a good topic, we should all have a plan so our families won't be lost as what to do.

Hal9001-

1 - 20 of 43 Posts